« Home | Weigh in - Challenge W5 » | Sticky » | Teamwork » | 3D Imagery » | The Letter "S" » | Tonsilitis » | Weigh in - Challenge W4 » | Weigh in - Challenge W3 » | Wonderful people » | Happy but sad »

I've got shovels!

"If you can't get through the mountain, go around it. If you can't go around it, go over it. If you can't go over it, sit down and ask yourself if getting to the other side is all that important. If it is, set about digging a tunnel"

Well stand back, because I am getting to that other side and I have shovels!!

This quote was in my daily flip calendar yesterday and it summed up this whole weight loss journey to me perfectly. There are so may ways to get to the final destination. Some will take longer. Some will take more effort. Some will take a few side trips. But if it worth it to you, you will find a way. **Edit. Briony must have the same flip calendar and posted the same quote yesterday - clever girl. Just so you know that I didn't copy. LOL**


I have had a great week. I know I am raving a bit about it but this Global Corp Challenge has been so good in pushing the barriers to what I thought I could do and making me want to keep up with our group. Yesterday I walked home from work but instead of just walking straight home (7km) I took a little detour and did the Balls Head Bay loop (3km) so walked a total of 10km. It took 1.5 hours so I am pretty happy with that. My step total for the day was *drum roll please* 20,016!! A New Record for me... Whooo Hoooo. And one I don't plan on doing more than once a week as I was so knackered and my knees and toes hurt afterwards. But I must be getting fitter because today nothing hurt at all.

So, if it is dry tomorrow morning I will be heading into the city for our Saturday morning walk which will take care of my steps for the weekend but if it is wet I need to come up with another option. And this has been the subject of some conversations at work this week. What can we do if it is wet? Most of us are building our steps by walking to and from work, or the station, walking at lunch, and going for a walk or run after work. This is only pleasant when it is dry. So I came up with one option. On Tuesday we headed into the QVB and went walking up the spiral stairs. There are 220 steps (including the straight bit in front of the lift) from the bottom to the top. So we went up and down 8 times. That's 1760 steps. My legs burned and my heart raced. It was brilliant :D But not really enought to get the 3 - 4,000 steps we need at lunchtime. I can go to the gym and hit the treadmill but what other options are there? Suggestions welcome.

So on that note I shall set about adding some more steps by doing a lap of the hall / dining table each time I change a load of wash, and doing knee lifts whilst I do the dishes LOL.

It's all fun ;D


Trackback - 2nd June
Points: 25
SP: ?
Exercise: 30 min mini tramp

Trackback - 1st June
Points: 20
SP: 0.5
Exercise: 45 min walk shopping (easy) 1.5 / 10km walk (hard)

Trackback - 31st May
Points: 22 (PLUS Gloria Jean Baked Raspberry Cheesecake appx 12 pts - bugger)
SP: 3 + those others
Exercise: 30 min walk to City, 1 hr walk shopping, 30 min walk to Broadway

Trackback - 30th May
Points: 17.5
SP: 1
Exercise: QVB Steps, 30 min walk to Broadway

i can see you knee lifting infront of the dirty dishes. fabulous lol keep up the stepping lady...id suggest a skipping rope since you will do fast steps, have fun while doing it, burn some mad calories and tone arms in the process. Gotta love the skipping.
ps. love that quote. happy weekend luv

Great job M! I used to live in Seattle (rain all of the time) and people would get used to the rain and still go outside to exercise. But, if you're not used to it, try the malls, subway stations, perhaps even the airport if there is one close by.

The QVB is probably still your answer, but not the stairs - too much work for too few steps! But you can walk a long way underground in Sydney, through all those connecting malls...

Bwahaha, love it! I think you just hit the nail on the head too. How important is it to you, will determine how hard you try.

And walking up those QVB steps at lunch time!? How busy would that have been but you did it anyway. I think the treadmill is the best option when raining. I have to get on my bike. Lucky it doesn't rain all the time but then we do need it! I also find just NOT sitting down will rack up your step count too. Find any excuse to get up at work and walk the long way :-)

Have a great weekend matey and I hope you guys get closer to an answer with some good thinking.

x

20,016 that is amazing I can just imagine how buggered you where after the walk home but glad to hear that you have pulled up okay.

Hoping the weather is fine today for your walk and you have a great weekend!

Wow look at you go M
i loved that quote maybe i will have to get my shovels out. 20016 steps is bloody brilliant. Have a lovely weekend

I agree that shovel quote is great!

And yay for a great week - well done!! I vaugely remember what 20,000 steps feels like, and I'm looking forward to getting back there soon!

WOW!! That is a shit load of steps! Well done!

You are doing great with your steps!!
I was going to say walking around the shopping centre if it's raining!

We must have the same flip calendar. Michelle sent me mine for Christmas. It has some religious ones, but I just ignore them! hehe
Hope you're having a great weekend, its raining up here.
Bri

Wow - you are having a good week. What an amazing number of steps you're doing. I think Weigh-in 6 of the challenge is going to be a good one for you ;) I only hope mine is too!

I just love reading your posts...you are so upbeat. You never stay down long. I'm glad to see you doing so well.

I think Mat's work is getting into the global corp challenge (if it is the same thing) it sounds like a great idea

very motivating

Wow Margaret, you sure are on an energy high this week!! What a fantastic effort, made especially so because you are walking home to then start being Mum to your little boys. Most women would be too tired after a day at work but look at you go - very inspirational. Gotta say your pic you posted from your Friday night out was great - you look fabulous Margaret - way to go!!!

I cannot believe you walked up those steps: A stellar effort!

Some companies have the forethought to install indoor walking tracks (I think Virgin is one of them) and it's a great idea. Sure, they would lose some desks, but what an option to have. Very useful on a day like today. I have the heater on and 2 jumpers, what a wuss.

Well done on your steps and the thought to go that little bit extra. That GJ's cheesecake does sound v-naughty though. Might have to look at that next time I'm there before my excuse runs out LOL!! XX

do u know someone you could borrow a stepper from? if its got a little computer, it will count your steps and you can add it to your pedometer total. OR i think u can count steps on your pedometer with the older steppers if u step down hard enough.

you are a machine... have a fantastic week. xx

Oh my goodness. I'm getting tired (and jealous, I might add) just thinking about that! I will have to join that Walking Across Australia website once Bob is out. That 10km walk sounds wonderful. You sound so motivated! What a legend you are. How is Darcy going? The poor little thing.

GReat effort M. Your motivation is high at the moment and you are exceeding your own expectations I imagine. Good for you. The exercise DVDs are another way to get steps up on a rainy fay...

I am envious of you. I don't get to walk as much as I like. I would love to be able to walk to and from work. But the kids go to different schools in town. Dark at 5.15pm, not safe. Lunchtimes work, doing chores, or just raining. I have to be happy with the driveway and dancing around the house. Sounds like a lot of excuses I know.

Anyway good on you for doing it.

I'm envious of anyone than can walk at the moment:(

Great quote - you are all go!

hey M, hope u had a great result this week :)

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??