« Home | Weigh in - Challenge W3 » | Wonderful people » | Happy but sad » | Back It Up » | Different Channels » | Recipe - Chicken & Mushroom Risotto » | Recipe - Spinach and Pumpkin Curry » | Weigh in - Challenge W2 » | Me Sore » | Who needs an ipod anyway? »

Weigh in - Challenge W4

Things were a little tough last week and I have learnt that I do not respond well to an injury and being forced to rest. After the walk and races last weekend I expected my legs to be sore. What I didn't expect was to learn that I had sprained/injured my right calf muscle. And then I didn't expect to be an idiot and do a little sprint across an intersection when the lights changed and hear the muscle go 'pop'! Bugger.

I then spent the week sulking. Instead of using my brains and finding ways to move that did not require my legs (toning, sit ups, upper body resistance exercises) I spent the week on the couch eating. I bowed out of the regular Saturday walk and took the time to catchup on things at home. I could have blogged and received that instant hit of motivation and positivity that I normally get when reading but as the exercise equipment is all set up in the study I boycotted that room. I know. DUMB.

But my leg feels better today. I went for a slow steady walk at lunch on the treadmill and as long as I kept my gait short it was OK. I also walked to Broadway and whilst the hill tested the muscle it came up alright so I am happy with my first day. I am building up to the Nordic Walking adventure on Saturday and will be fighting fit for that.

Work is really busy at the moment and evenings are spent doing a little bit of exercise, getting the boys into bed, and then crashing myself. I am not blogging at all during work (I finally get it!) so am not getting around as often as I want to :( but I will build up to that again too.

Fitness Challenge Wrap Up - Week 1
I will take progress photos tonight even though I know they will be the same or worse than last week. I refuse to let this set back make me pack it all in together. I need to spend a bit more time on my preparation and in learning the exercises instinctively so I don't have to keep looking at my notes. I know this takes time so perhaps I am being a little hard on myself. I know one thing for sure. Week 2 will be better than Week 1.

Things I did well last week
Rested my calf muscle to allow it to heal

Things I will do better this week
Track every day
Maintain a 20 point average
Smile a little more :)

Track back
Points: 20
SP: 6
Exercise: 30 minute walk on treadmill (slow), 30 minute walk to Broadway (slow)

oo ow, popping muscles does not sound pleasant at all. rest up lovely and defintiely focus on other areas until its better, you know what to do. big smiles xox

That does sound sore! :-( As easy as it is for me to say, you've had worse weeks and you'll rise up again from this too, like you always do. Hope things are less hectic soon, and you get a bit more time to yourself! And also that your leg is heaps better soon.
xx

OH hun that sounds sooo sore! Big hugs my friend... you will get back to it and it is hard when you are sore.

Love CM

oww, i flinched when i read the *pop*! take it easy, and well done on that slow and steady walk, thats the way to do it! :)
I hope it steadily gets better this week and that Nordic Walking adventure is sounding great!
i love your 3rd aim too, don't forget that one this week, it's very important....
****^^^###SMILE###^^^****

:)
Rae xx

ouchies!!! i'm glad that you gave it a chance to rest! you have been doing fantastic lately M & i'm afraid theres not much u can do about injury! hope life settles down sooon & that u have a wonderful week!

I cringed when I read the word 'pop' - ohhh, how horrible :( So glad that you are on the mend and that your leg held up well today. I know that with your challenge that last week might have seems like a week wasted but there's no need to beat yourself up over the rest, sure you could have done other forms of exercise, but a week's rest, particularly with an injury, isn't a bad thing. Let this feed your motivation and enthusism to stay on track this week. Hope you have a great week ahead, Ails xxx

You poor thing. Don't be too hard on yourself - rest up and your will be up and racing (nordic-ing) in no time!

Sounds painful M. Hope the rest of your week goes to plan and I want to see a photo of you and the girls Nordic Walking.

Sounds quite painful but glad to hear you are on the mend. Have a great week and a great time on Saturday at the Nordic Walking. XX

Ow!! Hope you're ok beautiful xx

Injuries suck! But so does sulking!

OUCH! glad to hear that the calf muscles is on the mend!

Crapola! Injuries suck! Glad to hear you are recovering, I cant wait to hear how fabulously week 2 goes!!!

I feel better now because I do my share of sulking when I get an injury. Almost seems like the fates are conspiring against our successful journey. However like you I know the best thing is to get back into it slowly and then the sulking fades away.

Oh gorgeous that sucks. I know how you feel as I sem to be good at hurting myself too and did so in about my 3rd week into body for life. (And I think I have again)


The trick is to work your opposite leg - tests have amazingly shown that if you work the oppositye for some reason your other limb tends to compensate by itself for a short time without worrying about further injury. Then also maybe lower your portion sizes just slightly if you are taking it easy.

I'm sure next week will be great! BIG HUGS!

Great to hear your muscle is feeling better and yep, give yourself a break LOL. It does take a little time to learn a new routine and hell, it's only week 1 you dag :-)

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??