« Home | Still going » | Little Scalliwag » | Weigh in - 2006/09 » | No Weigh - again » | No Weigh » | Meaning of Life » | I couldn't do it - until I did it » | Weigh in - 2006/08 » | CFM or FMB's » | My Cloud My Day »

What goes down, must come up

No not my weight - that must stay down - forever, FOREVER. LOL

I had the best start to the weekend ever. DH took DS1 off to tennis whilst I packed up the goodie bag to take to Jodies. My theory was that if I packed enough enticing food and games and toys for the boys, then they would leave us alone for at least 5 minutes to have an adult conversation. I put in sandwiches, sausages, fruit (nectarines, grapes, watermelon, rockmelon), fruit bars, cheese sticks and little muffins. And I super filled a bag of toys to keep them entertained for hours. Or so I thought. It always takes a visit to another house to make me realise how talkative, inquisitive, exhasperating my two boys are. Jodie was the most gracious host and did not make me feel like we invaded her home (which we did) and we had a great time. I am so grateful that she invited us into her home, in the midst of her own eventful week (she can fill you in on this) and we spent quite a few hours talking, looking at baby stuff and more talking. And oh, if you ever go there for a meal, pre-order the baked potatoes - yummmm, though it comes with a word of warning, it is very hard to stop at six. ;D

When I drove out the driveway I thought I would have a nice peaceful drive home as I was certain my two would be asleep by the time I turned the first corner and I could drive the rest of the way without listening to Aladin for the millionth time. I could not be more wrong. Only 10 minutes in and DS1 started complaining of having a sore stomach. Sore to the point where he started screaming and crying. Then he would calm down and start to fall asleep before it all started again. I pulled into a servo to get some lemonade hoping it would cause him to burp and perhaps release some gas but that didn't work. I rang DH and made arrangements to collect him and head to the Dr's. I am not normally a panicked person but the sounds coming out of this young child was almost more than I could bear. By the time we reached the clinic DS2 had fallen asleep so DH and DS1 headed in. 5 minutes they were back with instructions to go to North Shore Hospital Emergency to request an apendicidis check. So off we went and OMG was emergency busy. 5.00pm on a Saturday and all the sporting injuries were in. A busted arm courtesy of netball, a broken wrist courtesy of soccer, and a broken ankle courtesy of rugby. That's it my kids are playing chess!!

We were taken out of the main waiting room pretty quickly and into the childrens emergency waiting room. After a few questions and prods and instructions to get a sample we were left alone. For 4 and a half hours. 4.5 hours of reading stories. 4.5 hours of keeping DS2 (who is 19 months old) entertained by competing in a "who can jump higher contest". 4.5 hours of being asked "can I eat something soon please" to which the reply was always "we need to see a Dr first to see if it is OK". 4.5 hours of numerous trips to the toilet as T.O.M. hit unexpectedly and I was unprepared (isn't it always the way). Anyway I digress, I was never more proud of my boys as they played, read, and actually behaved themselves so well during this time. After 4.5 (that .5 is very important!!) hours had passed and the Dr had not yet come to see us, DS1 had not complained of pain for more than 2 hours and I made an executive decision that we were going home. I explained to the Nurse that I felt DS1 was OK now and unless the urine sample we sent in had something wrong with it we were leaving. She checked the form and said it was all fine - thanks and have a good night.

Please don't get me wrong. I am extraordinarily happy that I have access to a good hospital, and nurses, and doctors. I just think there is something amiss with the system that allows only 1 Doctor on, in the childrens emergency section at a time. By the time we left our section was very full and after I advised another mother her cardigan was on inside out we said goodbyes and wished them luck. I think they were in for a long night. We, on the other hand, headed straight for McDonalds (for the boys of course - we ordered pizza LOL) and went home for a very late night.

So that was the down bit. The up bit was getting to enjoy every second of todays Autumn weather. What a cracker. 23degrees. Sunny. Little bit of wind. The perfect day to go to the beach for a brisk walk, hit the shops for some wool (DS1 loved the crochetted rug at Jodies and placed his order for one in Buzz Lightyear colours), put together a flat pack IKEA shelving unit and watched the Australian Grand Prix. Yep it was a top day :D

*** Edit

Blogger has been playing up for me lately and I am finding quite a few blogs that I read I am unable to comment on. Sometimes I can't comment at all and sometimes I can only comment if there has been a comment left already. It is really strange. So if I have your email address you will see my comments there until Blogger settles down.

Am I first to comment, or will Danny H beat me again?!

Oh my, poor DS1 - and poor you! Hospital waiting rooms are a nightmare. Glad he was ok :)

Sounds like you had fun at Jodie's!!

I am enjoying the autumn weather too - I am more used to the cold. It was nice to spend the day inside with the heaters on, apart from a brisk walk in the cold this morning!! Had to run some of it to keep warm! Brrrr...

Hope you have a wonderful week ahead. :)

No, looks like I am first!

WOW hun Im glad your boy is ok! Sounds like an eventful weekend if nothing else.

Now I heard you were looking for something like the 1000 steps. I believe there is something similar in the Blue Mountains. I just don't know where! Would love for someone to find them before I move home so I know where to go though LOL

Your poor son, and poor you. I had to take Andrew to emergency once when he was little and we had a similar experience. Then they wanted to xray his head ... arrrggh! Try getting a tired and upset toddler to lie perfectly still for a minute.

Good to know he's all okay.

I'm glad everything turned out all right for your son. I think emergency rooms are like that everywhere. When I had to take my mom as xmas time, we were in there for 4 1/2 hours before she was admitted. I think the almighty dollar is a deciding factor in that segment of hospital care. Life sure does throw us curve balls...doesn't it?

So pelased your little boy is ok! I had a grin at how you described your boys as we just had a weekend with an equally talktative, inquisitive little boy. Makes you wonder what's going on int heir heads sometimes!

wow, you had a very eventful day, glad the little one is ok.
have a great week
fiona

Ah, yes, Saturday afternoons in the ER during winter sports season. As you can imagine, this is something I do often. I've got the routine down pat:
'Jake - pretend you're in shock while I go in and tell them I can't get you out of the car so they put you straight on a trolley'. It doesn't get you seen any faster, but at least he's lying down and there's less chance you're going to get vomitted on in the waiting room!
Glad DS1 sounds like he's OK!

Wow what an eventful afternoon!! Sounds like the time for action packed weekends!! I assume all it OK with DS1 now and I hope that there is no reoccurance of that event for you both! They really are well behaved kids.

RE Saturday: You are most welcome! The door will always be open to you and your boys. It was an absolute pleasure having you there!! Must do it again but this time it's my turn to travel!!

Glad all is ok. I've taken Josh 4 times to ER so I know how stressful it can be. (Once on Xmas Day... 4 hours, but what do you do.) Glad you are enjoying Autumn. It's turned very cold in Melb also. Do u think the Grid girls felt it??

Yep, that's weight's staying down or else! LOL :-) Gosh, sorry to hear about your boy getting sick but glad you had a good time at Jodie's. I don't like hospotals full stop.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??