« Home | Weigh in - 2006/08 » | CFM or FMB's » | My Cloud My Day » | Dance like a Butterfly » | Weigh in - 2006/07 » | Carrots » | Munch Munch Munch » | Funny Bugger » | Weigh in - 2006/06 » | I'll do that again :D »

I couldn't do it - until I did it

Mark and I spend a fair bit of our weekend time driving around looking at houses. Usually when the boys have finally fallen asleep and we want them to stay asleep so we drive around for an hour or two. After these drives we are either really excited about biting the bullet and going out to buy something or totally depressed that we are never going to be able to afford to buy anywhere decent and close to the city (which is where we want to live).

And that got me thinking about the 'right time' to do anything and how we afford to do it. When we moved to Sydney and started living the good life we never in our wildest dreams thought we could afford to have a baby - until one came into our life. Then we decided we would never be able to afford to have two - until we were lucky enough to have another. We couldn't possibly afford to put them in child care and keep working - until we did it. I couldn't afford to join a gym - until I did it.

There are so many things we put off in our lives because we are so afraid of the consequences or on the changes to our lifestyle. We get in a very comfortable pattern and don't want to stretch ourselves incase it forces us to change our patterns and compromise on our time. Weight loss is like that. Even though being overweight is a very uncomfortable place to be physically, mentally it can be very comfortable. Knowing that you are not expected to go out means you can stay home and eat and watch TV and not do any physical activity. Making the decision to lose weight means changing your patterns, getting our of your comfort zone, and making compromises in your life. And I think that is why it took me so long to start it. I couldn't see how I could possibly fit in the time to exercise, or afford the correct food to eat - until I did it. No one can do anything without taking the first step. And once you do - you manage to make it work.

I may not reach my goal weight in the original time I thought I might but at least I am not going to sit here in six months time and ask myself "what if...." I will sit here in six months and say "look where I am now"

******

Daily wrap-up

Follow Exercise Plan - Morning (no) Lunch (yes) Evening (yes)
Stick to 20 points - No (22.5pts)
Track all food - Yes
Drink 3L of water - Yes
Blog my daily results - Yes
Do something just for fun - Potted a plant to have on my desk at work

Hi M,

What's your desk plant's name?

I agree with you, it often takes being "forced" into things to give it a proper go. I can't save money to save myself (other than for a deposit), but am excellent at paying off mortgages at warp speed - it makes no sense. Just for something different I have been struggling with motivation, and when I went to get my eyes tested last week I asked the optomitrist about the effect of diabetes on on eyes and sight. Silently I was willing him to tell me that I needed to get to a GP ASAP for a test: waiting for diabetes in order to get serious for f***s sake!

Good luck with the house hunt. Does this mean Adelaide is off the cards? We couldn't believe what our money would buy there; helpful if you want to keep a certain lifestyle (and who doesn't?). Let me know if you have a place in mind and I will traipse through at the open house, loudly pointing out all the "faults". Better yet, I could move in next door and take up drumming!

Have a great week, CKK

Wow! Yet again, another thought provoking and brilliant post. M sometimes I feel you are talking straight to me.

thank you.

Jods.

hey mate, know what you mean. we bit the bullet and got married and brought a house all i the same month. but i work in the mortgage area of a credit union so that helps. if you need any mortgage questions please email me only to happy to help
we are saving like crazy to go to scotland and spending close to $20k and then we are coming back and going to have no money but we have decided we will have a baby. so i guess we will afford it all in the long run.
have a nice day

So many of us can relate to your post. I know when we first came back from overseas, dead broke yet within a couple of years we had our family and also got into our first home - who would have thought. We all get there in the end - and that goes for the weight loss as well!

holy crap... that is so damn true. thanks so much :)

I agree, we don't get anywhere sitting on the couch wishing and wondering. We just need to GO FOR IT!

You did very well with your plan today. Have a lovely rest of the week.

You read my mind sometimes. I dont understand why we think we cant afford things - it really is psychological. My husband and I earn an OK wage and we are really worried about not being able to afford this baby, but we will manage because we have to (and want to!). And when we want to have another one, we will because we want to, but right now that all seems impossible. You really do just have to jump in the deep end sometimes - and most of the time the water is really lovely! Have a great day! vxx

Hey M, long time no popping in! Love the FMB's! They're on my list of things to wear when I get to my goal weight...can't wait! Have a great week!

Hi M
I started uni again this week and although I'm terrified, I keep saying to myself, well, I'll turn 50 one day (not soon!) whether I make the career change or not, so I might as well do it! And along comes your post :) So many things we keep putting off until we're 'ready' - but we never really feel ready so we might as well just do them!

cheers and well done with all of your achievements

LBTEPA

Love the boots! I am on the look out for some myself this winter.
Congratulations on the loss (again) this week.
So true about having to go out of the comfort zone to lose weight. It is a big step but as long as you keep on putting one foot firmly in front of the other you are fine.

Have a great week

xx

Come on in, the water is fine!!!!!
Bri

Love you post... quite often these thoughts cross my mind...

Hey M. I know exactly what you mean. I have done a lot of overseas travel in my time and people are always saying to me 'I wish I could save enough to go travelling'. My answer is always that if you want it enough you will find a way. It's all about priorities. So I know you will be fine. It's always the first leap into it that's scary.
Els

Great post, thanks Margaret :-)

You have to take a chance on getting your own home hun.. it will be worth it in the end... money shmoney he he he.

Love CM

You said it sista! Now everyone should read this post, it's a goody :-)

Oooh, I loved this post - fantastic!! You are such a clever wee cookie, always full of nice analogies and insightful snippets - love your work!!!

You are so right, everything works out in the end. At the end of the day we always find ways to make things work. It's called life. Good post M.

What a fab post hun! I have even sent it on to my other half who always says we can't afford to get married - wr can't afford to sell up and buy a new house - and we sure as hell can't afford kids. I know once you do it you don't end up suffering for it. Same as I couldn't afford the gym like you! I haven't regretted it once. I couldn't afford to do the extra Personal Training, until I did it. I couldm't afford to buy the groceries for BFL until I DID (and it was cheaper than what I was spending before!)

What a FANTASTIC post! As human beings we are generally such creatures of comfort, plodding away doing the same old same old. You have summed things up so concisely - you actually have to 'move' to move forward. Effort always comes before achievement, and if you have faith in yourself, its only a matter of time until things 'just work out'.

right there's putting life on hold and being realistic. realistically anyone can mortgage but waiting till those millions come along for 'the dream' is nuts. theres not enough time to wait around and theres always a way to get things done! excellent M :)

Yes, having gotten married in 2004 I have those very concerns about lifestyle change when I consider having children. Thanks for this post.

Firstly I'd like to say well done on your loss!! You know that the smaller you become the harder it is to shift that last little bit of weight so 200gms is a great loss! You are so much gamer than me to wear those boots - while I'm sure you will look stunning in them with your loooonnnnng legs I however would look like I'd been hit on the head with a hammer!! XX

Loved reading your post today! Its so true!!!

People can be afraid of change!!!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??