« Home | Myth Busters » | Weigh In - 2006/10 » | What goes down, must come up » | Still going » | Little Scalliwag » | Weigh in - 2006/09 » | No Weigh - again » | No Weigh » | Meaning of Life » | I couldn't do it - until I did it »

Walking the Walk

Following on from yesterday, I walked the walk today and made it from work to Broadway in 28 minutes. (I would have taken longer doing it on my head but chose to use my feet - thanks Sue LOL). And I beat the bus I would have caught at Central so was very pleased with that. Am thinking about walking into work now but will see if I can beat that very silly idea out of my head by morning.

***

In the last few weeks there have been a lot of bloggers in Melbourne, Michelle, Ails, Jadey, & Beki to name a few who have done the Kokoda Memorial Trail stair climb. And even though it is 1,000 steps of a seemingly agonising climb I have been secretly (and not so secretly) jealous that I don't have 1,000 steps of my own to climb in such beautiful surroundings. Then Linda posted about her climb at Mt Warning and that was it. I went off on a serious Google mission to find my own. And find it I did.

The Blue Mountains are a magnificent part of our Country and are riddled with walks of all gradings and lengths. I found a brilliant site which lists all walks, with their gradings, accesses, expected timings, lengths and what sort of views etc to expect on the way (listed below). Mark and I will go in the next couple of weekends and take the boys on their first bush walk. We will tackle an easy to medium walk of about 2 hours. As we will both be walking with the boys in backpacks (12kgs & 18kgs respectively) we think this will be a good place to start. Then I will plan to tackle the Giant Stairway. One of the girls at work said she would come with me and I think it would be great to go it as a group. I have 3 other seats in the car that I can fill so will let all know when I am going and anyone who is interested in coming along for the drive/walk/drive is more than welcome. Please provide own first aid and resuscitation kits. Only kidding. I am sure they have them there. Well at least I hope so LOL. I thought it a good walk as it is downhill to start and if you feel you can't make it up there is a railway to take you back up. Though I plan to walk it back.

But before I do I will have to go and buy new shoes as the special blister bandaids I bought weren't worth the money it cost me as not only did it not protect the blisters I already had but when I peeled my socks off tonight the bandaid had a huge hole in the middle where a brand new blister has appeared. Dagnabbit !! Will have to survey my shoe collection to see if I have anything suitable to walk home in tomorrow. Perhaps a pair of backless Ferragamo's ;D




Blue Mountain Links

The Giant Stairway

List of Popular Bushwalks


Specific information on a few of the walks

Wow what a busy blogger you have been, so many posts and as always great ones!!! I know I'm a couple of days late but Happy Anniversary!!! So many bloggers have said how inspiring you are and I so totally agree, I love reading your posts. You also give so much encouragement to others Margaret.
R U trying out for biggest loser with all your blister saga? You should be called Fiona!!!! Seriously though good on you for still walking when you've got blisters. That's dedication.
The bushwalk/steps stuff sounds great and what a great time of year to start doing that. Have fun.
Sorry this is a long comment but I also have to add a bit about your new picture - check out those collarbones!!!! Way to go M.

Hey M, happy to be source of inspiration for you :) Let me tell you that the sense of accomplishment and achievement you will feel after you finish your first walk will be incredible, if what I felt last weekend was anything to go by! Looking forward to reading how you go :)

What you have planned is great and also fantstic that you are doing one of the walks as a family thing! A great way to fit in some exercise, see some beautiful scenery and be together as a family.

LOL - imaigne the questions your son will be asking!!

Wow I love that new profile pic!! :-)

And this is what it's all about isn't it? Finding ways to make it all fun and interesting - getting out there with your family - what a great idea! If you want some good bushwalks though, a trip to NZ might be in order :-) Hehe!!

p.s. just wondering how your Mum is doing?

Good on you for your walking plans! Those of us lucky enough to live in Wellington have plenty of '1000 steps' walks right on our back doorstep (literally - my Beacon Hill walk is 1.1km uphill from my house). But you get to explore new places and give your boys new adventures!

Sounds fantastic and you are right. The Blue Mountains is an awesome place for bushwalks. If you like it and it becomes a regular event I would be more than willing to join you after the baby is born. Have fun with the boys though! XX

For some reason blogger doesn't like me leaving you comments - big bugger again !!!!
Sorry to be the cause of you getting up and moving more but glad I am good for something !!!! Just don't hold your breath thinking that they will have first aid or resuscitation kits - you will be lucky if you find an outside loo !!!
Good luck with the walk and hope your blisters recover soon - there is nothing worse when you want to get out there and walk !!!
Take care and speak to you soon !
Me

you are sounding so motivated and inspired and it is great to hear!! good luck with your walks! i have been meaning to do the 1000 steps the melb girls do, and i really have no excuse seeings it is not that far from me lol... i think i will have to organise to meet some melb girls at the steps one weekend.

thanks for the inspiration and energy! well doen on your work walk and beating the bus! funny how we have these myths in our mind to talk us out of doing things!

great going on walking to work
the walking tracks sound good, there are some nice walks down here in the southern highlands as well
fiona

I love doing those stairs and am looking at dh and I going to the Blue Mountains next month for a weekend getaway and plan to do them!!

I've walked both up and and down and up, funnily enough is easier. going down your legs are complete jelly about 3/4 way. Up is a great challenge and it feels fabulous to do!

Thanks for the links M! A friend of ours just bought a property up in the mountains and I was thinking about where else to go when up there. Looks good!

Hi M - Your new photo looks great....definately high definition collar bones 8-)

The walk sounds good - being a brissy girl I must try and talk my hubby into the Mt Warning trek....food for thought - that was thought not eating....hehehe. Take care and thanks for keeping in touch.lb.

Good on you! What a great idea! And taking the boys in the back packs will give you so many extra points it's not funny. I really hope you enjoy it - if your dumb blisters have healed by then.

I have still been reading your posts but I'm sorry that I haven't been able to comment - something is broke with my dumb 'puter and it won't let me stay on long enough to comment. Glad to see you're going well though, and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

hmmm, i wonder which is closer... the alps or the bavarias... poo i want to hike too! have fun chica :)

I think its great you're involving the kids. We started to do that last year - going for bush walks - with the kids and they really enjoyed it. Then we got busy at home. I think I'll take a page out of your book and start doing that again.

Went to visit your site but the walks are too far away for me, what a pity. You sound really motivated and enjoying life at the moment. good for you. Hope yuou have a wonderful weekend.

Ooh, I've done the Giant Stairway. There are ladders on it and it's pretty full-on just walking down it (my legs were like jelly afterwards!), and you get quite a few people on it too that you have to get past or wait for. Walking along the bottom track,though, was beautiful.
I recommend Wentworth Falls to anyone who hasn't tackled a Blue Mountains walk before. The stairs there are great thigh flab killers!

Ohhh I haven't been up to the Blue Mountains in such a long time! And back then, I was definately not interested in going on any bush walks! But I'd love to try the 100 steps now! Going to have to chat with hubby and see if we can go up for a weekend!
Hope you have a fab time doing it, a great way to spend time with your DH and the boys...have fun!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??