« Home | Suitability = Sustainability » | Weigh in - 2006/04 » | Wheeeee - that was fun » | WOW » | Good Friends » | Weigh in - 2006/03 » | Me me me » | Priorities » | It would have been so easy.. » | Reality Bites »

Biggest Loser Challenge

Last February my DH was told by the Dr to get off the alcohol completely for 12 weeks and lose weight. Being a drinking sort of lad it didn't take too long for his work mates to catch on and in an amazing show of support the company declared February alchohol free month and a handful of guys joined together and formed the Biggest Loser Club. It was a roaring success, keenly followed by all staff and a wrap up of their comp is posted below. (I have changed the names to protect the innocent - but left Mark's in LOL)

For those that have been following the Losers Board located in my office it will be of interest to know that the competition has now closed and the entrants have been judged on their efforts (or lack thereof).

If was a close tussle to determine the biggest loser and there were some people that thought it was not necessary for a competition to determine who it was....................................however, the firm's undisputed and supreme loser is Scott. Scott started as a focused and firm favourite and never wavered from his target. Offer's of an "afternoon on the turps" or "just one" failed to dampen his commitment. Further, he continued to lose weight following serious injury to his person last week . After weighing in at a generous 92.2kg he is now a svelte 80.8kg. For the accountants amongst us that a reduction of 11.4kg or 12.68% in just 28 days. Scott has now sworn off alcohol completely and has taken up membership of an ancient tea drinking sect originally introduced to him by Tony. The remainder of the team, particularly Richo, are expected to follow suit.

Second biggest loser and the Doctor's favourite was Mark. Mark has lost 11.1kg to date (10.82%) and like Scott will continue to abstain from alcohol for as long as he possibly can. (I'll take 10 to 1 that this won't extend beyond April). As well as following his doctors instructions to the letter, Mark has demonstrated a remarkable fashion sense during the month of February. If you thought his ties were "out there" you were reminded that there were louder statements to be made when Mark donned his shorts and shirt for the saunter back across the bridge to Waverton. Mark is taking orders for blue and white checked "short" shorts to be worn with blotchy brown T shirts and orange socks, so be quick or you'll miss out.

Despite demonstrating some gritty determination Howie's run for "big loser" was never considered a serious threat. His total loss of 1.5kg is nothing short of woeful (Sorry about that Howie). It doesn't even bear measuring as a percentage. In some respects Howie may in fact be the "biggest loser" - all that effort, all that abstinence and so little (or is it so much?) to show for it.

As with myself, Geoff demonstrated a real lack of commitment to the goals set and potentially a very serious alcohol problem. (Nothing we can't talk about over a few drinks Geoff). We were never a threat to the real losers.

Last of all Tubby. Entered into the competition without his knowledge, he demonstrated an admirable sense of comradery by agreeing to compete, albeit with respect to wine only. Day one revealed that this approach was complete buls#$t. Tubby was never fazed by the attempts by others to deny themselves. He continued to indulge and enjoy. Tubby is our true winner. Congratulations Tubby - the drinks are on you.


It was so successful in fact that it is going to be an annual event. Every February will be the Biggest Loser Challenge. Last year there were 6 contestants, this year there are 45 as they opened it up to the girls, spouses, and staff from other states. So that I don't do my head in with two different official weigh in days I am emailing in my Monday weights to maintain a bit of sanity. The rules are simple.

1. Don't drink for the shortest month of the year, February (bugger with the Sydney get together - I may have to sneak off to the loos to imbibe)
2. Eat well and exercise to lose as much weight as possible (already got my skates on LOL)

The person who drinks the least and loses the greatest % of body weight will be declared the ultimate loser. Prizes will be arranged for the biggest losers.

I think it will be fun and as Mark's work will be putting on a get together for the presentation of prizes it gives me a great opportunity to meet a lot of people that I haven't yet had the opportunity to. So with all these combined challenges, contracts, plans I have built myself quite a net of commitments. And I am LOVING it :D

That's a great idea. I wonder if I could not drink for the shortest month of the year. I probably could. I think i've only had about 6 drinks since New Years. My hubby said at New Years he wasn't drinking til February - I think lasted til 2pm on the 1st of Jan! Pfffft, men, they're so weak.
Bri

By 6 drinks - I mean 6 glasses - not 6 sessions! Just to clarify my position there cos it sounded a bit dodgy!
Bri

Sounds like Mark has an excellent workplace!

Good luck with the challenge :o)

What an awesome place to work! They sound very health conscious which is great! Good luck with the challenge and you can be a non-drinker like me at the Bloggers lunch. Just pretend like you pregnant LOL!! XX

What a supportive workplace! And they are doing it every year - FANTASTIC!

Have fun on your challenge :)

Sounds like such a fun place to work. Hope you two form a winning team. Dont worry about lunch, I will probably drink enough for all of us (LOL I think).

How supportive is that! I am loving that so many people I hear about these days, are starting to seriously get healthy. Even cafe/restaurant menus seem to be getting healthier. I also love that major companies like Arnotts and Nestle have declared that they will not advertise junk food during children's shows anymore also. The health kick is really getting into the veins of this society and I think it's a really good thing for our future.

For about a sixth of a second I was going to type "sounds like a cool challenge, I will join in" and then I remembered what I've got coming up in the next couple of weeks:

1 x anniversary dinner tonight
1 x work bbq on Sunday
1 x family dinner
1 x much anticipated friends wedding, and
1 x wedding-day-after

So, maybe another time!!! March is the month of multiple birthdays (incl mine), and April is Easter - talk to me about this again in May!!!!

Gosh that's brilliant. Encouraging such healthy behaviour in the workplace seems logical yet I've never heard of something this well organised or particpated in! Enjoy and I hope you or Mark is the bigget loser (though I suspect the guys who ahve a fair bit of weight on and a tendency to drinka bit have the edge on thos with not too much to lose! LOL)

A think all larger work places should think about doing something like that - it is brilliant. I could imagine a few people getting a bit thingy about it... a have a few friends that we don't even mention WW in front of .... as they think I am preaching... as if (but it would be great if they understood more!! - that's not preaching... is it??)

Wow that sounds like fun, apart from the no alcohol bit that is!! I would love that, with a prize at the end. Go Margaret and Mark!!!!
Maybe they will have husband and wife category?

oh how fun that would be!! do you all get together and go for runs and workouts? i hope you win weeee

fantastic!!!! What a funny post. That sounds like a wonderful workplace!!

This is just brilliant! I am so impressed that they all join in like this.

It is great that they all rally together like this. February for me means 4 birthday's (incl. mine and hubby's) and a holiday. Hmmm - maybe March.. have a great day.

What a great challenge!

I'd love to do the no drinking part but my boy and I have long put-off plans to share a bottle of champagne together! With the exception of that though...

It's great to see the workplace rallying behind like that.

I can't get that link about Biggest Loser to work, are you sure it's correct?

There is also this link,
http://www.biggestloser.com.au/

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??