« Home | Weigh in - 2006/04 » | Wheeeee - that was fun » | WOW » | Good Friends » | Weigh in - 2006/03 » | Me me me » | Priorities » | It would have been so easy.. » | Reality Bites » | Weigh in - 2006/02 »

Suitability = Sustainability

I had many poor reasons not to do any exercise today.

Got to bed just before midnight
Talked with DH for over an hour
Got a visit from DS1 at about 2.00am
Then again at 3.30am
I am exhausted
I am sore from weights yesterday
I was on the phone with a customer and missed 12.15 cardio-kickboxing (which I was really looking forward to)

But luckily I had one great reason to do exercise today.

I am not going to get to goal if I sit on my butt.

So I got my gear on and headed out to Hyde Park and the Botanical Gardens. As I was thumping along I thought about AGR as the runners in their short shorts (thank you Summer ;D ) ran past me in their dozens. There were the corporate guys with their beer guts and their black work socks and sneakers (which is never a good look by the way) and the guys who look like they run a marathon everyday, there were the girls who ran with a concentrated effort and those that talked a million miles an hour as they ambled along. And they all looked great to me. Real people doing their thing their way. And that is when I stumbled along a sign wedged in amongst the roses in the Botanical Gardens: "Suitability = Sustainability".

How true. There are many ways for me to burn energy in order to lose weight. And after trying 'this' DVD, or 'that' type of exercise I think I have worked out what works for me - right now. My walking, my short bursts of jogging, my weights. These are suitable for me. And therefore I want, not just need, to keep doing them. I read on lots of blogs the types of exercises people are doing and think "Oooh I want to do that" or "I have to go and buy that now" and sometimes when I do I am over it so quickly because it does not suit me. It doesn't suit the hours I work, the responsibilities I have, the equipment I own. So for this part of my journey I am happy not to do everything the same as everyone else. I am not everyone else. I am me. I am tired me. But I am me all the same :D

YAY for doing the things that work for you - that is what this is all about - finding out what works and sticking with it (as best we can).
I'm with you on the "That sounds good - I'll try that" but as you say - just because it works for someone else doesn't mean it will fit in with your lifestyle.
Have a great day, my friend !
Me

Some thigns are for some people and some thigns are for others.... I personally really don't enjoy any exercise.. but I walk because I have to!!

Great post. Sometimes I get caught up in thinking about the things I should be doing (eg. yoga or pilates) and forget that I don't because they don't really interest me. I'd much rather get all sweaty :)

You are so right - it's got to be stuff that you enjoy and that fits in with your life or otherwise you don't keep doing it.

And you are also CLEVER you. You should really write for the WW mag, you know. You're always finding inspiration in the most odd (and this time, botanical) places. You've now inspired me to do some yoga tonight - I have a Safe Yoga for Pregnant Women DVD that is still in its plastic wrapping from when I was pregnant with Charlie! - because yoga is an exercise that suits me. I think you are very clever and dead right. We need to make sure we don't compare ourselves to others too much and start congratulating ourselves on learning new things about us.

Go you clever good thing.

Go you good thing!

AGR also put me on to the runners legs :) It is easy to get caught up in other peoples exercise regimes but if it works for you and you enjoy it, then that's fantastic.

Which reminds me I must start doing weights again.

Well done on making the effort to exercise when you had every reason in the world to give it a miss today! I'll bet you feel better for it, and you'll sleep well tonight!

well done on doing what makes you happy - hope u get a better nights sleep tonight.

Good on you!! I know it's been a hard month for you but with that attitude, you are going to continue flying places. :D

I hear what you say too about suitability equalling sustainability.

Wel done on another great post. That is so true - the exercise has to be to be something that suits and good on for realsing this.

No wonder you are tired!!

Fantastic post! I love that you had so many reasons not to go, and you did it anyway!! I'll be remembering you when I drag my butt out of bed in the morning to exercise - no excuse is good enough!

If ever I was to give up reading blogs it would never include giving up reading yours. I will be coming back here as long as you are writing these truly inspirational posts.
You are fantastic and every time I read your posts I remember why i'm going through this journey and trying to make myself a better healthier person.
Thank you - I will think of you when i'm dragging my sorry backside of out bed at 5am tomorrow (after how ever many visits from MY DS!!).
Bri

Hopefully all goes well this evening with DS. I am still working on getting past my excuses - yet another excuse.

Keep well M.
Jods.

Hey, its funny because I just randonly picked one of the blogs on Bri's page and chose "Margaret" and it was you! And you had just commented on mine. LOL I've really enjoyed reading your posts. You are finding what works for you, just like me. Its a good feeling isn't it. I do hope you get a good nights sleep tonight! Sleep deprivation is a shocker. Keep on keeing on!

That is so true M! We do need to find exercise that suits just us, and that we can enjoy doing, and that is easy for us to maintain and fits into our lifestyle. There would be nothing worse than dragging our body off to some class that we dreaded going to.
Hope you have a better sleep tonight.

Keep on running and finding your inspiration woman, you're making me long for the day but am not getting anywhere sitting on my round posterior. now's the time :)

You are so right and it really is that simple. Find something you like, actually do it and stick to it.

In the beginning I used to say ... "if only I had that piece of equipment or this" ... but I realised that I don't need any of the fancy stuff and once I got walking, the weight came off.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??