« Home | Weigh in - 32 » | Mouthing Off » | My straight hair » | Oh what a day :) » | It's a Boy » | Today Is » | How Embarrassment » | Through the Looking Glass » | Weigh in - 31 » | Isn't this how it is done? »

There's something in the air tonight

And it is not Fernando!

Today has been really strange at work. I work in the CBD of Sydney and today we had the march against the proposed Industrial Relations changes. It was not pretty. Angry people. Angry gestures and words. I did not partake but as the march went by the tension was palpable in the office. People who would normally walk at lunch time chose not to. No-one wanted to be in the wrong place in case violence erupted. Sad. As the march was done on one arterial road and my gym is on another I still went and did a good half hour on the treadmill. I am starting to use the incline now and can really feel the difference in my legs. It makes me work much harder (really ;D ). I felt clearer and really good that I have now done two days in a row at the gym. Whoo hooo me.

Then of course the company I work for made a major restructuring announcement today that involves the reduction of staff & contractors over the next 5 years. 6,000 - 8,000 over 3, and 10,000 by the end of 5 years (Anyone want to make a guess as to who I work for LOL) These reductions have been going on for years and nothing that was announced today had not already been happening within the company for years now. Technology changes and improvements are always going to eventuate in the reduction of staff required to do the same amount of work. This time though is the first time our group has been directly in the firing line. I am not sure how I feel about it. Actually I am not sure if I should feel guilty for feeling as happy about the possibility of finishing work as I should be. Because if I finish it will probably mean we all will and I don't wish that on anyone else. Just me.

I am tired. I know that there have been a lot of overwhelming things to happen to me over the last year and even though I have great fun every day there is always this feeling of being tired behind it. I am thinking that some time off might be the best thing that can happen. And since my take home salary pretty much equates to 2 full time child care positions plus parking, bus etc my net difference will be approx $75.00 per week. And my redundancy (if I get one) is going to be equivalent to approx one years take home salary which means I have child care covered for 12 months whilst I look for some work and / or help DH build up his business to cover what I would have brought in.

So I am grateful for the fact that I work for a company which at least says goodbye in a nice way when they let people go, and that I have options.

Now as the rain came in today I didn't walk to Central so my steps are down slightly. It may just be the night to break out the Carmen Electra Strip to Fit DVD's and learn me a bit of lap dancing ;D

mm must be the full moon. people are crazy! you sound like you could use that time off to rest luv. things are catching up... you deserve to rest. *hugs*

You know - when you work out what your pay goes on like that, that's the exact reason I'm trying to stay home with Amelia - because it's not really economic to put her into full time day care. I hope that you get a rest soon - and what better way to rest, than with your kiddies around you. They are the best medicine when you are tired - not just physically, but emotionally tired. They fill your heart with something beautiful.
Take care of yourself eh?
xxx

sounds like a mad house of a day. It might be good and time for a redundancy, and at least you will spend time with the kiddies
have a good week. hey and the weight being the same, well least you are consistant. hehehe

I know a fair bit about the current mood in a certain very large telco from poor Tom. He has been stressing out a bit about it in the last fortnight and the rumours and speculation have been getting to him. I completely sympathise with you!

I participated in the march and while there were a few rowdy elements, it was quite peaceful, well orchestrated and everyone that marched (for the most part) respected the other marchers, the police and their opinions.

Anyway, I hope you are well and I hope Carmen Electra gave you the workout you wanted!

:) Sarah

Look upon the redunancy (if it happens) as a blessing - sounds like you really could do with time out. Take care:)

At least you can look on the brighter side of it but as you mention not all people will feel that way unfortunately. You sound like you need a break and the child care fees dont always weigh up with your income bit of a vicious circle really.
Take care..

I saw all those marches on the news!!There were people everywhere!

I took redunancy when Luke was a baby - best thing I ever did!!

You will also have more time to blog..lol

I thought about you testerday when I heard about the company, dont know why but I had assumed you worked there!!!

As we all know what happens will happen so just go with the flow,

Cheers and have a good day tomorrow,

PS must be catching, so many people, myself included feel tired!!

Margaret

Yesterday was crazy... and that weather in the evening didnt help. I was so cold last night I had to go to be d early. Very odd. Good attitude on the job front - as long as they look after you, it would be a blessing to get the little redundancy package. My company went through a merger last year and I was quite reflective about the whole thing - I either get a few months off and pay off a chunk of the mortgage or keep my job. I kept my job, but either option would have been fine!

Try and stay positive and all will be good from there!
Have a great week... vx

You know I truly believe that everything happens for a reason, and usually it's for the best, just that sometimes we can't see that at the time and come to the realisation later.
In your case, it sounds like you already know that this would be good for you. It's hard enough with one child (daycare costs us $500 a fortnight and we're NOT in Sydney so I can only imagine how expensive it is for two children and IN Sydney) and i'm always tired too, so you must be exhausted.
I have very good contacts in the recruitment world who would be more than happy to help you find another job in Sydney (contact me at fatcow662005@hotmail.com). I'm sure you would get another job easily, if and when you're ready.
As for your steps being down, I think you're doing really well, you're WAY above me on the WWA standings (although I have been a little slack this week). I was hoping to catch you, but now I have no bloody chance! LMAO.
Take care and be good to yourself, you deserve it!
Bri

We are both being tired together - could be the moon? There is some law about redundancy along the lines that if you want it you will be the last person offered if at all. My sister has been hanging out for redundancy for over a year. Glad you are being so positive about it all remember silver linings....
Hope the lap dancing went well, I bet someone was pleased. Have a great day.
:o)

I thought about you when I heard the announcement.

They are a big employer in Hobart, so I'm hoping that not too many of the cuts are going to come from down there, but Tassie always seems to be first on the chopping block for big companies - I know the bank I worked for had that attitude.

I hope that whatever happens there will be a good outcome for you.

Hope you had a good sleep :)

At least you have the right perspective on things. Being in the position you are currently in makes it a little easier to deal with what could potentially be devastating to quite a few people. I hope all works out OK. XX

If you want a redundancy then I hope you get it. If it happens, I hope it happens quickly as uncertainty is not a nice environment to work in. Our office was made redundant once (moved all the admin to Melbourne from Tassie) and it seemed forever until it was all "out in the open" and finalised. Final cheque was nice to get though!

Good luck with whatever happens.

If redundancy is offered take it. Take time out for yourself. Spend time with your kids. Relax, rejuvenate - decide what you want. Who knows you may decide you WANT to work, then I'm sure you won't have problems finding another job. Or you may decide to be a stay at home mum or help hubby. Nothing you can do about it right now, so chill I guess. But I can relate to tired. Occupational hazard ie working mum.

Take care, you'll sort it.

I thought of you when I heard the announcement but you have such a great attitude, you'll cope with whatever they decide to do.
I hear what you are saying about being tired - I feel like that now - it doesn't matter what I am doing, I'm tired and I don't like being tired any more. I want to be full of energy and bubbling and out there - the trouble is that it isn't a not sleeping tired - it seems to go deeper than that. Maybe gallivanting around Taiwan will help - not !!!
Take care and look after yourself.
Me

Hope it all works out for you. It's hard when everything is up in the air. A few years ago the company I worked for announced that they were cutting half the staff. We had to sit at our desks and wait to be called in one by one to find out if we were getting axed. It was such a distressing day - my job was safe but a lot of friends lost theirs.

ps. not working rocks! it's the best - I am revelling in unemployment and highly recommend it. And you have to take into account the not so obvious costs of working - clothes, extra food costs like lunches and not being having time to shop cheaply - so many little things that add up. Enjoy a few years with your boys, they grow up so fast!

M - I am a stay at home mum - I never throught I could be one - but i love it!! I have a 1, 2 & 3 year old and once they are at school I will then go back to work - I was a real estate agent - Wait and see and the roll of the dice gives you - but It is good that Telsta have given you notice!!

Hey M - I hope that the gods are kind to you and that everything will work out as it should. I know it will. Like Rosa, my Tom is in the firing line too - seems that it's a small world! Although with about 40 000 people working for the same company throughout Australia, we shouldn't be surprised to run into more of them.

I hope that everything goes ok, and I'm thinking of you at this scary time.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??