« Home | Arty Farty » | Eating Habits » | Weigh in - 28 » | The Walk is Done » | Strike - Out » | My List » | Spectacles anyone » | New Friends » | I don't want to talk about it » | Puff n Stuff »

Soap Box Derby

I am a huge fan of the show The Biggest Loser II. I like the concept. I love the trainers. However when watching it on Monday night I really stepped back and thought about the people that watch this show. As well as the morbidly curious (like me) who watch mainly as source of entertainment there are people watching this show who are going to take away from it the expectation that they can achieve the same results - in the same period of time. This scared the hell out of me. Reading blogs, forums, and countless other information sources it is easy to see that there are people on this weight loss journey who hook into shows like this and then are left depressed, angry, and frustrated because they were not able to emulate the results. This then leads to binges, more self-recrimination and destructive behaviour.

I would like to say here for the record (and in my absolute laymans opinion) that if you have a job, a family you care for, are studying, are pregnant, do volunteer work, or combinations of all of these you cannot get the same results - in the same time period. The contestants on this show have no other responsibilities other than to exercise, eat well and sleep. Yes they learn lessons, and they are faced with temptation but none of them have to take their children to the doctors, or wait 6 hours in emergency, none have to start work at 3.00am and then come home to work on their own business, none of them have to do their tax, work a full day, go to the dentist, have meetings, play sports, finish an assignment or sit an exam during this period. Real life can get in the way of weight loss but it doesn't have to halt it. It just slows it down to a manageable level.

We all can achieve our goals. We will just take a little longer than those contestants - that's all. But if either of those trainers are reading this and you want to come to my place to whoop my butt into shape - come on over ;)

**I am off my soap box now - do I earn bonus points for that little tirade? LOL**

That all being said, if you want to be a contestant on the all new Australian version of the Biggest Loser go to their site and download an application form.

I'm thinking about downloading the form for my DH - he needs to lose 50 kilos and we could do with some extra cash!! haha (hope HE's not reading this). I mentioned weight loss shows in my blog too, I love watching the Biggest Loser but I know it's not as easy as they make it look, I also know that its unrealistic to think that you could lose 10kg in a week! Hello!! But i'm sure there are people out there who get depressed cos they don't get the same results, and I feel sorry for them. I think the slower the weight comes off the better, it means you're changing your attitude, your lifestyle and your old habits for the better and that's got to be the best competition you can win!!
Bri

I really think it can't be healthy to lose weight that good. Do the winner have to use the prize money to have all the excess skin removed because I'm sure it would be a problem after losing it that fast.

I can't imagine how they do it anyway. Even if I had the time, if I exercised that much, my body would fall to pieces (well it is now and I exercise much less).

Youare very right about this show not being realistic for the average person who has a life with all the ups and downs that entails. However having said that I am addicted to the show and find it very motivational. I think it helps reinforce to me my view that this journey is very difficult and requires determination and enormous will power.

You only get bonus points for it if you were leaping up and down and waving your arms about while ranting. You make a very valid point though!

i've never watched this show though i have heard the results were pretty amazing - 10kg in a week is pretty incredible, It would mean i was at goal in less than a month :D I really like the more realistic shows - We had one in NZ called eat yourself whole where a lady (the evil diet witch) came into peoples lives and cleaned out their cupboards, showed them healthy alternatives to their fave foods, introduced managable exercise etc, she also took weight, measurements and cholesteral (sp?) levels. Then 8 weeks later she came back and took results and saw how they were going. The people who were quite overweight seemed to loose an amount which eqated to less than 1kg per week and the thin people who used to eat like crap had a much healthier cholesterol level.

Great post M. I enjoy watching programs like that but do believe it is important for people to understand that weight doesn't realistically come off that quick. Makes you wonder also whether they have learnt anything during loss to allow them to continue once the cameras stop rolling. Do they have follow up programs to show us if they put the weight back on again?

xx

I'm glad you posted this one M! I have been watching the show, but can't believe the amount of weight these folk are losing. The boy reminded me about the 24/7 thing. I think that celebrities endure this kind of boot camp style weight loss regieme as a way of getting into shape fast, for a role or whatever, but I honestly think that the disclaimer at the end of the show should also point out that the weightloss experienced is not normal!

PS - if anyone does get on the biggest looser in oz, you have got a guaranteed curious audience!

Great post. People just have to be realistic. The reality is that 90% of us have different priorities, ie family life, the main thing is we are travelling on the right path, we'll still get there in the end.

Excellent post here! I would love to apply but the thought of 10 weeks away from DH would kill me! I hate spending 1 night away from him so this is not for me. Also 10 weeks away from work? That would kill my boss! I'd probably have to resign to do it! You have voiced the opinion of many. Well done! XX

M, I said the same thing to my daughter about being on the the Australian version and she said to me what I am now saying to you - you aren't fat enough. Isnt that great - congratulations on not being able to get on the show.
Love your posts. Thanks for visiting mine - email coming your way soon with some more questions, oh fount of knowledge. Have a great day:o)

Well said M! Very true.

Great post - I would love to be able to work out, eat right without any other resposibilities ~ but there is NO way I am leaving my family for that long, and I would not want it on camera either...lol.

Your so right, it is a bit scary that some people would have their hearts set on losses like that.

I actually filled out my application all ready for the Australian version of the show but then at end it said it starts in December and I can't miss my 3 year olds first "real" xmas (she didn't understand the concept last year) so I binned the whole idea.

I dig where you are comin from. It's like the girl on supersize me who is balling cos she can't afford subway - I think being honest with your self and facing up to reality can be difficult at times. Good post and thanks for the rev.lb

Know exactly where you are coming from. Great post!

Totally agree with you - I have only seen bits and pieces of the show - with no added responsibilities I am sure that we could all do what they are doing but you are right - we have a life other than weight loss (althouhg I know that at times it seems as though my life revolves around weight loss / maintanence !)and it isn't that easy when you have that many other things that need your attention.
Have a great weekend and take care !
Me

Wonderful post M - I never fail to be amazed by how insightful you are.

I have never seen the show, and no doubt it would be wonderful to just dedicate all your time to exercise and healthy eating, but it's just not practical. What are these people going to do once they get back into the real world, I wonder?

Thanks for such a wonderful message - that being realistic is so important when starting out on a weight loss journey, or even when you're in the middle of one.

Have a great weekend!

WELL DONE BABES! This is a great post and is so true. On the back on TBL2 and something else I saw on TV I had decided to workout twice a day whenever I could (3 times a week it ended up) once a day whenever I could at the gym (3 times a week) and on my day off walk the dogs twice that day too. I had my eating mapped out I had my times mapped out and I was ready to begin. But now I am sick as anything. When I pushed myself I ended up collapsing at the gym. Now my diet plan has changed (dr's orders) And I can't even walk around the blovk let alone pump it out twice a day at the gym. Life has gotten in the way for now. Big Hugs to you!

Great post M. My dad has just started his latest 'diet' which means he will eat like a rabbit, drink copious amounts of grapefruit juice, and exercise like a maniac. He loses the weight quickly but always puts it back on. As much as I would like to say STOP YOU IDIOT - i'm keeping out of it. Some people really do have to fight their own battles.

Have a great weekend

Lucinda

I have never seen the show becaused its not aired in greece. i fear it will soon come, since we already have our own versions of big brotehr and survivor and super idol and the likes.

But i can understand what you mean. I get the feeling when i see a tv commercial of any dieting centre where they show the obese 130 kg person on a photograph taken 6 months ago, and then the super slim 65 kg person of today.

And it is so misleading. I met one person who works in one of these centres and she opened my eyes. Let's just say that these ppl there are inside thermo machines all day!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??