« Home | Weigh in - 28 » | The Walk is Done » | Strike - Out » | My List » | Spectacles anyone » | New Friends » | I don't want to talk about it » | Puff n Stuff » | Mental Health » | Catch up »

Eating Habits

It has been 6 and 1/2 months of my journey and during that time my eating habits have definitely changed. When I started I ate purely to stick to points without any real thought of the balance or health factor of the food. I used a lot of pre-packaged food - especially the Weight Watchers and Nestle brands. These foods made it easy for me as they are pre-pointed and took a lot of the guess work out of my day. My drawers at work were always full of snacks that I could dive in to and know automatically how to point them. These included fruit bars, cookies, choc crisp bars, cheese nibblies. All low points but all processed. And to be fair these items were what I needed in that they helped me stick to the plan. They satisfied my sugar and sweet cravings whilst my mind and my body were undergoing this transformation. And I think for someone starting this journey they are a very useful tool and there should be no guilt at using them.

So it came as a bit of a shock to me when I realised that my drawer at work had been empty for quite some time without me really noticing it. It has been months since I have bought ww cookies. My fruit bowl on the other hand is now always full and that is what I go for first when I want a snack. The pantry at home has no ww mousse, has no sponge cake mixes, no jelly satchets. The freezer does have some frozen meals but they are now used as an exception rather than the rule. My food intake is now more 'whole' than it was. The points are more likely to come from a source of protein or some extra carbs in the form of potatoe or a gluten free pasta. It is time for me to be thinking about the health issues of food. And this is where I am currently stuck.

There are still some things that I eat & drink that would be considered problematic. The Nestle yoghurt that I love is artificially sweetened and to replace that with a European styled natural yoghurt (which I also like) would mean almost tripling the points for breakfast. And I drink d.coke. I drink between 2 - 3 litres of water a day and I also drink at least 2 cans d.coke a day. Sometimes more but it is something that I am still having to work on daily. But I don't drink tea. I don't drink coffee. I can't stomach more than one hot chocolate a day and frankly I would rather eat the points than drink them. So is there an alternative for me? I am on the hunt for a point free drink that can be my alternative to d.coke. I will do my research and post any findings, but would be more than happy to take suggestions.

So I pat myself on the back for learning what I have so far and for making automatically healthier choices and being open to learn more. Now if I can just find out how to make point free Jim Beam I would be a very happy chappy ;)

Look at the bigger picture and how much processed food you ate before you joined WW and now look at the amount you eat now. I think it is virtually impossible to eat totally unprocessed foods in todays society. I believe you don't need to make any further changes or else you will end up feeling deprived and I believe that can only lead to disaster (it would for me anyway). You have done amazingly well so far and what changes you have made are working so why change again. Have a great day. XX

It's funny, I was just thinking last night that if I'd tried to eat the way I do now six months ago, I'd have never stuck to this. It's all about baby steps, isn't it.

One of my fave summer drinks is to brew up some herbal tea and store it in the fridge to drink cold. There are some great fruit teas around, I have one called Dream of Summer - yum. Zero points/calories and v yummy. Even nicer with a slice of lemon.

Hi M - great post, and a lot of food for thought (pun intended!!)

I too am very aware of eating too much processed food on a regular basis. I feel so much better when I know I'm putting good stuff into my body. Fruit over cookies (no matter how low point) is always a good idea! But I also have a terrible diet soft drink habit - knowing that it's a point free sugar fix tends to make me have more than I should. I've tried to make a rule with diet soft drink in that I only have it at weekends, or if I'm out. That's really helped. I've also, as you know, started drinking more herbal teas in place of soft drink. Seeing that you don't like tea or coffee - such a shame! - perhaps you could try mineral water with a slice of lemon or lime? That is a very nice refreshing drink, especially in summer, and still points free. Will I ever be able to win you round to herbal teas?

If you love the Nestle yoghurt, keep eating it - yes it's artifically sweetened, but it's still yoghurt, which is a fantastic healthy food. I can send you the nutritional info on my Tamar Valley Lite natural if you want to figure out how many points there are in that, if you want to give it a try- I'd be guessing 2 max for a decent serve.

Well done on eating more fruit - that's something I really need to do. I'm looking forward to when grapes hit $2.98 a kilo - that's when I know it's summer!

I don't think we're ever going to have a sugar-free, preservative free existence, so just do the best you can. The fact that you're consciously thinking about all of this - giving your body nutrients as well as fuel - just shows how far you've come and how different your thinking is now, which is fantastic.

Have a great day!

I would love to find another low calorie/ no calorie drink than d.Coke!!! Alas, I just end up drinking water or tea.

I try to avoid low fat yoghurts and cheese. As I don't eat those things regularly, when I do eat them I'd rather get the full-fat version (in small doses, of course).
I know what you mean about Weight Watchers biscuits. I did go through a phase of buying them but I got over them fairly quickly. They're just too processed and cardboard-like. Well done for choosing fruit first!

I am sorry I can't help with a nice points free drink. I drink black tea, no sugar and water with a squeeze of lemon during the day. Luckily I don't particularly like soft drinks (unless they have whiskey in them)and have always liked black tea.
I am still stuck on diet choc mousse but am now having no fat yoghurt mostly instead of diet (depending what is on special!). Slightly higher in points but very tasty.
Hope you find some alternative.

Totally agree with the above - although we always try to eat as 'whole' as possible - and you are doing a sensational job BTW - it's a matter of balance as we fit this new way of eating into our lives. It sounds as though the dc is really worrying you - do you have the it at a particular time of the day? Can you trick yourself by doing soemthing else at that time? Use the money as an incentive (eg 2.80/day x 20 = $56/month you could spend on something else eg clothes)????
Anyway I think you're doing a brilliant job.
cheers
LBTEPA

I totally understand this post. My diet is soo much cleaner & "whole" than it usedto be but i will still reach for diet softdrink and i cant bear to spend the extra points on real yoghurt. I think that if you don't drink tea or coffee, you don't smoke, you aren't a big drinker, you exercise and you are loosing weight - surely you can affored a few little indulgences. You no longer drink litres of DC anymore, I think you are doing ok.
Ok, so artificial sweetner isnt great for us, but as long as you arent't having ridiculous amounts, surely there are more health complications with being overweight and the artificial sweetners are what often helps us through these cravings.
I just won't let my ratties near anything with artificial sweetner, Emily said it melts their skulls!

I hear you on the artificial food thing. I have made a point not to buy Nestle products of any kind for months (partly because I heard a pretty masty story about the company after which I swore never to buy their products again - even Milo. Bugger) and I feel better for not having all the artificial sweetner. I think having GOOD QUALITY food, but less of it is the key. For example, instead of having Equal in my coffee, I will have have about 1/4 teaspoon of real sugar. Instead of having a whole row of Cabury chocolate, I have one (albeit big!) square of Lindt. I think, from what I've heard, it's the kind of thing the French do, and they're all gorgeous!

Sorry, I can't help you with the drink thing. But I will stay tuned to see what everyone else comes up with, as I'm looking for an alternative to tea while I'm preggers.

I'm really glad that you reflect constantly on your progress. I know that you will never again be a "big girl", because the changes you've made are so profound that you could never go back to your old ways. Good on you.

It's fantastic that you have made so many healthy changes along the way - not just by eating healthier foods and exercising more, but mentally too. Well done!

Have you ever seen a TV program called Downsize Me (is that what its called?? I've only seen it once!). Its along the lines of You Are What You Eat, but they have a "Crash Test Diet" couple who swap their totally healthy diets (they are body-buiders) with the weekly subjects and measure the effects of the new diet on each of the participants.

Anyway, I was thinking the other day about what it would be like to do a Crash Test Diet on the Me of a 13 months ago! Its quite surreal to think of the "old me" as a different character, and I see that a lot in you too!

Hmmm point free Jim Beam ... you could be onto a good idea there!
I have never actually used weight watchers products at all .. although I have looked at their frozen meals a few times and wondered what they would be like.
I made a conscious decision from the start to just eat unpackaged foods as I wanted this to be a lifestyle change .. but I do agree also that they are not a bad idea at the start.

xx

The others have mentioned herbal tea, and I urge you to give it a go!
I don't drink tea either - but a few weeks ago tried some green tea, and it was nice!
What we eat now compared to before is a big difference to many of us ~ I also find that I am now more willing to try new things:)

These comments are nearly as long as your post - you're going to have lots to respond to!

Exactly what to you is wrong w dc? Is it the sweetener or caffeine or both? In all honesty, and from a hand on heart more than 1.25l a day of black asprin girl, the caffeine free stuff isn't that bad. I have never liked leaded coke, but always loved dc and found the even less lead version to be doable.

As far as the yoghurt goes, I've always had the Jalna fat free european style stuff. Does tat have a lot of points??!

ANother great post! Amazing how we gradually change and don't really realise that it's happening. Like you to start with I relied on the the pre-packaged WW meals and snacks. Now they are for an emergency only. I think that you have improved your lifestyle so much that really would Nestle yoghurt be too much of an issue. Also maybe just limit DC to one a day?
Can't really help you with the drink - I have water, tea, green tea and only about once a week a diet coke!
Point free Jim Beam - sounds interesting!

What a fantastic post. I think everyone else has covered what I was going to say :)

What a great job you have done with the soul serching .
You are an inspiration

does diet coke have points in the Aussie plan? its free here but is still chemical so i limit to about 3 cans per week if that... tea is great. peppermint, green tea. you can even chill and add fresh herbs to it. a little lemon & ice cubes. yum!

as for your yoghurt issue, i use 0% fat yoghurt and a big spoon of reduced sugar jam. there are so many flavours of jam, you can have a different flavoured yoghurt everyday :)

Everyone has said what I was thinking and Kellee hit the nail on the head, do like the French do! I know you've read that book now so I hope that can give you some ideas. Don't feel like you *have* to drink tea or coffee either. I force myself to drink green tea and I hate the stuff so now I drink water with a dash of ribena instead. As long as you are getting your water in, it'll stop you from drinking too much of the other stuff. Whole food is much more delicious for sure and a few Nestle yoghurts here and there isn't going to hurt you either.

Soda water (club soda? Seltzer? not sure what they call it in oz) plus a splash of fruit juice is really nice - orange, pomegranate, cranberry, etc. Refreshing with a little zing. And I have found that plain yogurt (no sugar, no nuthin') mixed with Kashi Go Lean crunch or any type of granola/muesli is yummy and filling.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??