« Home | Weigh in - 29 » | Rainbows » | Dumps & Jumps » | The Tag » | Soap Box Derby » | Arty Farty » | Eating Habits » | Weigh in - 28 » | The Walk is Done » | Strike - Out »

Silence

Whilst there are people who may not believe it there are two circumstances that render me speechless. One is witnessing an act of unspeakable cruelty in the form of an attack, or abuse of someone who is less than able to defend themselves. And the other is witnessing true beauty whether it be in the form of nature or human. Today I witnessed both.

After dropping the boys off at care I was walking back to the car when I heard some screaming. From the sound it was a young male. As I was on the roof I was able to position myself at the end of the ramp and could see what was happening 4 levels below me. There was a young lad (YL) aged anywhere from 13 - 16 and an older bloke (OB) perhaps in his 40's or 50's.

YL: Screaming "No, no, no"
OB: "Shut up"
YL: Crying "If I go home I am just going to get abused again"
OB: "That's your f'in fault"
YL: Screaming & crying "No, no. It's not my fault"
OB: Who just noticed me. "Come on" and away they walked

I went to my car and parked it in the long day park. I was shaking. I didn't know what to do. Do I call someone? What would I say? My mind is too fertile to overhear these sorts of conversations. After I parked I headed through the shopping centre to take the Travelators to the ground floor to the exit to catch my bus. As I neared them the screaming started up again. They were in the centre. I looked down and saw them at the Commonwealth Bank ATM. The OB had the YL by the scruff of his neck as the YL was taking money out.

YL: Screaming "Let me go"
OB: Yelling something undiscernible
YL: Really screaming as the OB took the money off him "Give me my money back"
OB: Something with a lot of f'in's in it.
YL: Crying as he picked up the money OB had thrown on the floor
OB&YL Then headed off in the direction of the car park

There were about a dozen people travelling either up or down the travelators on the time but I wasn't paying too much attention to them as I was already 2 minutes into my phone call to the Police. I gave them all the information and descriptions I had but did not render my opinion on whether they were father / son or whether it was a dealer / user. I was shaking and very close to tears. Did I do the right thing? For me - yes. I don't know what is going to happen next but as I said to the Police, someone may call in later about these very two people and they at least had a time line to work to.

I have been thinking about this all morning. There are some nasty people in this world and it is very very sad. To my credit my determination hat may have been jolted, but it did not fall off. I straightened it and I have not strayed from my plan.

When lunch time came I needed to go for a walk outside. I needed to just walk and clear my head. When I got outside it was raining. For a split second I entertained the thought of heading to the gym to treadmill instead but as the sky was more blue than grey I figured the odds were on my side to be more dry than wet. As soon as I thought this the rain stopped. I walked through the park soaking in the beauty. There is nothing like the light that shines through Sydney on a spring day.

I climbed up the steps to the war memorial reflecting in the sombre silence, I strode through paths highlighted in dappled sun as the sun strained to get through the copse of leafy Morton Bay Fig's. I could see people talking but it came to me in muted waves so it just became background noise. I could have been the only one in the park. I considered testing my tree running distance but incorrect undergarments put a stop to this. At the fountain I stopped for a minute and just looked around me. Really looked. When you live in a city as iconic as Sydney it is too easy to take forgranted the beauty that is everywhere. I headed back and as I did I passed a pregnant woman walking the other way. She had her exercise gear on, a smile on her face and was rubbing her belly oblivious to anyone around her. It took my breath away.

I am much calmer now. I have had my lunch (delicious salad with ham, pickles, mushrooms, pine nuts, carrots, red cabbage, lettuce and the new ww lemon & black pepper dressing) and have finished another bottle of water. I will go and get changed and get back into work.

I am very glad that I wrote this down but I do apologise if it has caused anyone any undue trauma. It has helped to remove it from my head so that I don't need to keep thinking about it. And I am also very glad that in a world where there is both evil and good, that I am one of the good guys.

Man, oh, man! What a predicament to be in. I feel so very sorry for the young boy, too. I now wonder about his situation: is he safe? Has that old, abusive guy been seen to by the police? Too many people stand by and not get involved. But I've very happy and proud of you because you took action and called the police. Let's just hope and pray that the young boy is on the road to a good life.
It was interesting that you juxtaposed both good and bad, beautiful and ugly events from that single day. I guess that it's become an even more powerful message because one extreme emphasises the other.

What a horrible start to your day!
As rachel said to many people stand by and do nothing..glad to hear that you did something about the situation!
Hope the rest of your day is much nicer:)

I think you did the right thing, I mean, granted you will never know what went on and what came of it all, but you at least did the one thing that you COULD do! My friends and I took on this guy abusing his wife once (And rang the police) and I still wonder what happened as she ended up getting in the car and going with him, even with us offering her lifts, ringing the police, offering to call someone etc. Did we make it worse for her? Possibly, but maybe she also saw that she doesnt HAVE to accept his behaviour. Oh and we know the police checked on them at home. And we didnt just watch it happen.
It is a hard situation to be in and I think you coped admirably!

Hey M, I def think that you have done the right thing. You may never know what has become of YL & OB but you know in your heart that you did the best you could to help. I feel sick in my stummy for you - and YL of course - some people really do not deserve to be part of our world ! Take care. Luv Kel

You are a good guy. Too many people these days ignore what is happening around them and decide to "turn a blind eye" to trouble.
You did all you could, and I am glad you saw some beauty at lunch time to make you feel a little better about the world.

Just wanted to say what a great thing you did. So many just turn the other cheek and dont want to get involved but I applaud you for calling the police. I hope everyone in the situation is ok and I hope if something did happen that your call will be instrumental in averting something bad.

You should sleep well tonight. The world needs more caring people like you :)

Karen

Sounds like you did the right thing. It's hard to feel so helpless in situations such as these, but I think the you did the only thing you could do in good conscience. And your beautiful moment today does sound beautiful! And now that I've been to that park recently, and been around Sydney, I know just what you mean - it is a beautiful city.
Hope you have a better day tomorrow!

What a horrible thing to have witnessed. It really puts your own worries and issues into perspective. I feel very proud of you that you had the guts to ring the police, not just turn a blind eye like so many other people would have done.

I'm happy that you saw something beautiful at lunch time that restored your faith in the world, and in the beauty that is around us, in spite of everything.

Thank God there are people like you in the world.

xo xo

u definitely did the right thing in calling the police, too manypeople wouldve turned a blind eye. The refernce to going home & being abused would make me assume it was a father & son, but i guess you never know.
its amazing what u notice if u take a minute to take in all the beauty around you, sounds like this was just what you needed after the earlier experiance!
salad sounds delicious too! wanna make my lunch ;)

You aren't just of the good guys ... you are one of the BEST guys

*hugs*

Oh My God that is enough to shake you up that is for sure.

You did the right thing!! It was a disturbing circumstance one that needed someone to intervene and I hope the police sort it out.

You are such a caring person M! YOU GO GIRL (BIG HUGS)

Love CM

yes you really are one of the good guys, you did the right thing. i hope that boy was taken far away from that bad man!

Good on you for calling to police! Nice to know some people have a backbone...even if you were petrified - it is good to know there are caring people like you still around :)

Lucinda

ps. Thanks for your comments...when I eventually come to Sydney, we can Yum Cha!

I am so glad you called the police and that you cared. Unfortunately many people just never want to get involved. That poor kid probably has no one to stand up for him...and people wonder why some kids turn out bad.
It is also goo dyou got some balance to your day with teh wonderful walk. Of course it is because you were so open to the sights and needed affirmation that life is good that you noticed things you may once have taken for granted.

ahat a horrible scene. At least by calling, if anything happens the boy has some evidence to back up his story. That could make the world of difference.

Walking is the best at times when you need to clear your head. Your post is such a great reminder of the ways we can deal with things in a healing way (and that includes writing things out).

What a horrible thing to witness. I'm glad you took action through calling the police, though, you are an amazingly kind hearted and thoughtful person (the world needs more of you!).
Glad you saw something beautiful as well (I love Hyde Park). On some days, Sydney just blows me away with its incredible beauty.

You can rest well in the knowledge that you took action when seeing aan ugly situation whereas many people would just ignore it.

(((hugs)))

Sarah

I agree with the other comments - the world definitely needs more people like you in it. I think you did the right thing when a lot of people would have just not wanted to get involved.
Good for you that your determination hat never fell it - it is a good indicator of how far you have come when in the past something like that would have had you scampering for something to eat - well done !
Have a great week and take care.
Me

Even a post with such terrible events as described, you have such an articulate way of writing them. The way you described your surrounding was exceptional and even put me in a bit of a daydream imagining I was in Hyde Park doing the same thing instead of sitting in this stinky little office! Thank you.

BTW I would have done the same thing (calling the police). Actually I have once. I was driving through Mt Druitt and saw a girl (app 12) and a boy (app 8) walking the streets with a shopping trolley packed like they had run away from home. I reported it to the police and felt so much better about myself for doing it. Amazing how people are totally ignorant to their surroundings and when people are in need they put blinkers on so they can't be held accountable for anything. I believe it shows a total lack of responsibility. XX

Oh gosh! We are so similar. I can't handle seeing situations like this either but thank god there is beauty in people too. Living in the City sure makes you exposed to everything and yep, do something if you can without jeopardising your own safety. You've got such a generous soul M, thank you.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??