« Home | Catch up » | Weigh in - 27 » | Kaching » | It's all relative » | Ah Ah Ah Ah » | Weigh in - 26 » | The Wedding » | Natures Miracles » | Directions » | Somebody Stop Me »

Mental Health

This week is Mental Health Week. 9th - 16th October. My work has put out a lot of information and has an information booth in the foyer. I usually just go past this sort of stuff but today I stopped and read the information and came back to my pc and read some more.

According to the Mental Health Council of Australia, there are three things we can all do to protect our mental health - ACT, COMMIT and BELONG.

ACT - strive to be as active as possible - physically, mentally and socially. Engaging in activities such as walking and swimming will improve your mental and physical health. Enjoying hobbies brings balance to our lives.

COMMIT - look to the future and have a go. Taking on a challenge, getting involved in a community activity or volunteering to help others are all ways to contribute in a positive manner to your world.

BELONG - join a group, talk to a friend or neighbour or invite someone over. Creating ties to your community is important for support.

Good mental health enables us to more fully enjoy and appreciate our environment and the people around us. We can often better resist stress and tackle our challenges with a positive frame of mind. It allows us to be creative, to use our mental abilities to the fullest extent and make the most of opportunities. Good mental health also allows us to enjoy positive relationships with others and be motivated to participate and enjoy life.

However, mental health problems can cause changes in a person's thinking, behaviour and feelings. These in turn impact on their ability to work, and maintain healthy and positive relationships.

I don't think that I was ever at a stage where I was clinically depressed but before I started this journey I was definitely having some very dark patches where I would just sit and cry and stay in my room and not do anything. I also had some dark thoughts in regards to my life. I am so glad that I have taken the three steps mentioned above. Not only have I lost weight and become a fitter, healthier person, I have changed my whole mindset in regards to my life and what I think it holds for me. I am a much more positive person.

Fabulous post M. Fabulous. Thanks for posting it. :)

Yes thanks for sharing that with us. Mental health is something that we can't often see outwardly and therefore sometimes much harder to manage than physical health. I am sure having our network of blogging friends helps my mental health and makes me keep my physical health more accountable as well.

Great post - I have also had some dark days in the past... a healthy lifestyle really helps!!

thanks for sharing with us M, its great to see how this journey has affected you, not only physically but emotionally as well

It is the change in the mindset that is the most important change from this journey. After all it is not the weight that is important it is how we feel about ourselves. It i sgood that you have worked hard to arrive at a better place where you feel so good about yourself.

I definately agree that the losing weight not only effects us physically but emotionally aswell. It is true, we become more confident within ourselves and therefore feel as though we can accomplish more. Well done - Great post. XX

Excellent Post M. As usual you inspire me.

Thankyou.

M, Well done on this post! I someone near and dear to me with a mental illness so I am always looking for info about it to self educate. ACT COMMIT and BELONG are so true to a balanced life. It's something I definately need to put into practice! A huge congratulations to you! You are turning your life around and choosing to be happy! Big pat on the back!

I'm so glad that you have found all these positive things and your life is different now. The world needs more people like you, not less! xx

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??