« Home | Ah Ah Ah Ah » | Weigh in - 26 » | The Wedding » | Natures Miracles » | Directions » | Somebody Stop Me » | New Freedoms » | Bloggers In Joggers » | Weigh in - 25 » | Lights Camera Action »

It's all relative

I am a very competitive person. I like to do things well and I like to get a good result. In the past the competition has been against other people and there has always been a measure to work against. This is the first time in my life that the competition/challenge has been purely against myself. I measure against nobody else.

People in blogland lose weight at different rates. And that is how it should be. We are all different. Some of us use weights and some don't. Some run and some don't. Some have families and some don't. Some count points, calories, portions. And then there is the matter of our starting sizes, our heights, our heritage. All of these things make up the fabric of who we are and each of us will react to food and exercise in slightly different ways. But if we eat correctly and move our butts we all will get to our goals.

My weight loss has given rise to a few discussions around the workplace lately. I think it is because I am wearing casual clothes a little more often and as they are now clothes in the correct size (not 4 sizes too big) the loss is quite noticable. In particular WM1 (workmate 1) & WM2 were having a discussion and bemoaning the fact that I was now fitting into a size 12 jacket of WM1's, which was their size, but as they weigh less than me they were cranky that they didn't fit into a smaller size. I stepped in and we have a really great discussion on how they shouldn't measure themselves against me or anyone else and that even though my weight is more, I am much taller than them so the weight is distributed differently allowing me to be the same size in that particular jacket. They were happy with my explanation.

Just heard from my Mum. After 5 weeks the surgeon is back from his holidays and she and Dad had gone to see him to get an update. After the discussion Mum is very happy and positive. The outcome is still definitely terminal but as she looks so good and is in no pain he feels that the very short term he originally suggested could be a little bit longer. So there is a very good chance she will be here for the birth of my sisters baby and we are hoping she will be here for Christmas. Whooo Hoooo.

Points FTD: 30+
Points Left FTW: 43
Sugar Points:10+
Checklist: 4/5 (too much sugar)
DAJS Challenge: Day off
Other Exercise: Walking
TIAGF:The human spirit

How true, we shouldn't measure ourselves against others. Even people of the same height can be so different in size, shape and personal ideal body weight.

So good to hear things are looking up for your Dear Mum.

You hit the nail on the head when you said "If we move our butts". That's really the key to being successful.

Amazing how women are with size v's weight. It's like they wanted to deny you the pleasure of being a size 12 or something. Why can't people just be supportive in those circumstances. Are they afraid they will no longer be the "skinny ones"? I say congratulations on a size 12!! Woo Hoo!! XX

I agree, we are in competition with only ourselves!...and I am gonna beat it!!
Glad to hear things are going better with your mum xx

Fantastic news about your mum.

How fast a person loses weight is entirely up to that person. I want to look at my journey as more of a change of lifestyle rather than as a diet. If I "want" something, I don't want to feel like I "can't" have it. I just don't have it as often. That's why my loss is slow. But its steady and I'm still having fun.

Have a great weekend.

"But if we eat correctly and move our butts we all will get to our goals." You said it sista! I think it really is that simple and YES, women have to STOP comparing themselves to eachother. Thanks for reminding me too.

Great to hear about your mum *hugs*!

Good news about your Mum.

You are so right. I always have to keep remembering that this is about me. I should not compare myself to others as we are all different.

Thanks for the reality check M, it came at a time when I needed it.

Great post M, you're certainly making us all think today. I had a discussion with the girls at my work about weight the other day. When I told them i'd be the same weight as them (or less in one case) they said "cool, we can share clothes". How sweet is that? No office bitchiness where I work (anymore). Yay
Glad to hear your Mum has had some positive news.
Have a great boss free day!
Bri

Margaret - that's great news about your mum....I hope you have a wonderful weekend. The weather here is brill and expected to be 37 tomorrow so i will be swimming I think. Take care that noone at work starts pinching YOUR jackets now that they can all fit into them 8-)

Such a good post - I don't think that we should ever compare.
Great news about your mum, will be so special if she gets to see the baby. Also it is also good to hear that there is no pain!

Great news about your mum especially that she is feeling good an dnot in pain. Helps to make her time more quality time.
Now about your post- I often think when I see some of you getting into very small sizes and I weigh the same or less??????? But I know it is because ; I am very short, I am actually very small and hence my bones weigh less and most of my weight is fat,I carry most of my weight in my stomach area. I have had 6 operations in the stomach/abdomen are and the surgeon told me my muscles were damaged. So its Ok and I hit myself and know I will get into those sizes too. I do always feel pleased for you don't get me wrong, just laugh and think " that's my life!! Eventually that skinny mini will appear again." It is never a competition on these blogs and I think that is why it is working for so many of us. I genuinely get a buzz out of others success. Probably because I know how hard it is to do what we are doing. If one of us can do it then we all can.

Tht last post was from me Marg. I put my name in so don't know why it went anonymous.

M if you could email me the log for joggers that would be great. Can we register as part of your group?? I will read up more on it over weekend.

Firstly, I'm glad there's some positive news about your mum, that's really wonderful. :)

Secondly, this is a really fabulous post. It's really given me so much to think about. And you're certainly right about needing to move our butts.

That is wonderful about you mum M, it is good that she is not in pain.
A little bit longer is excellent news for her prognosis.

Have a lovely weekend :)

We definitely shouldn't measure ourselves against others, competition can be healthy but it can also become an obsession. So i'm glad your only competition is with yourself!
I'm glad to hear your mum has been given some more time, it'd be lovely for your family to be together at xmas :)

Good to hear about your mum but make you feel a bit better.
Yes well comparisons dont help when we are all built so differently!..Take care have a great weekend.

That is absolutely fantastic news about your Mum!! Woohoo! And I definitely agree with you, we can't compare ourselves to others - I know that is where I have gone wrong in the past and it really doesn't help your self esteem at all! Once again, wise words :-)

That is really good news for your mum that she isn't in pain!! My Dad was told that he had 6 months to live (he had cancer) and he lived for 10 years!! Don't ever give up hope as there are miracles out there and doctors go on facts and sometimes those facts can change.

I am not saying that she could live for 10 years but enjoy the time you have with her!

Love ya
Chubbymum

What a great attitude. The thing is, if you only measure yourself against other people, how will you keep the motivation up when you're actually AT GOAL? So you're definitely viewing things in the right way.

I'm pleased to hear that there is some positive news about your mum too. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??