« Home | Medium » | What a great day » | It's my birthday and I'll sing if I want to :) » | Caps & Snaps » | Spring is in the air » | Weigh in - 22 » | It's raining, It's pouring » | Tickets Booked » | Appreciation » | My Mum »

Mindless

It is one thing to say that I have learned valuable lessons on this journey. It is another thing entirely to ensure those lessons are put in practice every single day. I know that what I eat and how I react to situations is up to me and I cannot lay the blame on my actions on anyone else. But if I were allowed to I would put it all squarely at the feet of DH.

It all started on Friday night when the DH in question came home completely and absolutely legless. Initially it always makes me laugh when he tries to carry on a conversation because he does so try to sound sober. Fails miserably every time. But then the humour goes downhill. Normally because after making lots of noise getting himself someting to eat, waking up sleeping children, he usually ends up being sick. Everywhere except the bathroom. Yuck. Then has the audacity not to remember a thing the next day. Especially the bit where he has lost his wallet. Again. Getting legless when you are childless at least means you get to sleep in the next day. But the two automatic alarms were up Saturday morning at 6.00am sharp and 'the headached one' could not rise to the occasion. This puts a lot of pressure on me. This is on top of some other varied things at the moment. One being money.

We are not poor but we live pretty close to the bone. Part of that is because when we moved to Sydney DH was in an extremely good high-paying job and we entered into property rental agreements and vehicle lease agreements at the high end of the scale. Then he was without a job just as we found out we were going to have DS1. For 8 months. This eroded every bit of savings we had. DH did get another job and things looked like they were getting back on track. We were pregnant with DS2 and the job went away again. This time we bounced back quicker, but we have never recovered financially. We are working on it but as Cat has mentioned in her posts when you work on contract you always get paid after the fact, and when starting a new contract this can mean 4 - 6 weeks with no money coming in. That makes it tough. So we are in a slightly better place now which just means we can pay our bills, buy little things here and there, and don't really have to worry when buying groceries that the cards will bounce, but we have little savings. This is what has me worried.

The trip to Adelaide was fantastic and I will be going back but it makes me so mad that money even has to be a consideration. Why can't I just have enough to go whenever I want and take all the boys with me. I have to plan the next visit and I really don't think we can all afford to go. If DH doesn't work - he doesn't get paid so a week day visit for him is really out of the question at the moment and if he can't come, I can't take the boys as it is too much for me to fly with them myself. It just makes me want to cry. I should cry. Then maybe I wouldn't eat so much :/

This weekends mindless eating fest has consisted of (and perhaps more) A bag of licorice bullets, apple licorice, mango licorice, licorice twists (damn showbag DH bought in Adelaide!) 3 bags of Dutch licorice, egg-bacon-mushroom-tomoto wrap, pizza, hot chips, chocolate, milo, cheese & spinach croissant, .. that's really it actually. It feels like so much more. I feel sluggish. Bloated. Disappointed. And cranky at myself that during each and every mouthful I was fully cognisant of what I was doing - yet did it anyway. That is not the way that saying is supposed to work.

So what do I do about it? I go to bed early tonight (ie before 2.00am). I have a bath before bed. I appreciate that it is done and I can't undo the actual events, but I can put into place a plan of action to reverse any consequences of my actions. Last weeks gym efforts were dismal (other than the swim) so I will go every day and love every minute. And I will eat well. I will get my weekly work groceries on the way in on Monday morning and I will only eat what I purchased then. No food-court food. If I do that I will be in a better place because I have respected myself. It doesn't solve my other worries but if I don't have to worry about my food then I will be able to devote time to solving the other problems. In fact, that's it. I didn't want to worry about the other stuff, so I have been eating like an idiot so I wouldn't have to. I was giving myself something else to worry about. Talk about a lightbulb moment. Should have blogged about this Saturday morning. Maybe it would not have got so out of control.

I think because I have been a little stressed is why I took the comment from the work colleague so much to heart. I do think he meant it as a compliment. I do think he was being sincere. I do think that he is naturally an idiot anyway. So I am over it. But I owe a lot of gratitude to everyone who pointed out to me the very special way men think sometimes (no offence to my huge legion of adoring male fans ;) )

Righto M - get to it.

I hear exactly what you are saying - hence the situation that we are in with Al working away from home !!! Why oh why can't we win the Lotto - I don't even want to win the BIG lotto - just enough to pay off my mortgage - that is all I ask and I don't think that is much, do you ?
Good on you for acknowledging what you have eaten and putting in place a plan to get you back on track - this is what a healthy lifestyle is all about. You are a much stronger person for being able to change your attitude and take something positive out of the situation !
Hope you have a fantastic week - take care and be good !
Me

Hey M - I think I had a mirror of your eating weekend, only replace the licorice with chocolate.(Do you have those soft licorice drops covered in sugar...??)

Depsite all the knowledge we have and all the power we have to control our actions, it's still possible for 'chaos' to overcome us. All the theory temporarilily escapes us.

When this happens. you just have to wait until it passes and then get on with things.

So M,enjoy your bath, sleep well and look forward to getting up feeling pumped another successful and energetic week!

This is a great post - very open and honest and real. I love it. M - you have been going through so much lately that I really think this is overdue! Just accept that it happened and move on (as you already are!). Tomorrow is Monday - a fresh start again. Hope your day goes well tomorrow. xxx

It would be nice to not have to worry about money wouldn't it. To be able to have enough to do what we want, when we want, and more importantly need to, would be great. It is something I think the majority of us wish for nearly everyday.

Well done on recognising why you turned to food this weekend. Remember you are strong woman, and you have showed that yet again by re-grouping and evaluting what you need to do to get back on track.

Tomorrow is a new day M and I am sure that you will grab it with both hands. Keep on smiling :0)

It's interesting how we use one problem to distract us from another. I think I have the same issue with control. I could never control my eating, so I was a complete control-freak about everything else. I like to think I have more balance now.

Hey M - I understand how you feel. I have so many times let my family or other people affect me in such a way. I realise now I was eating to try fill up that anxious feeling in my tummy - if I stuffed so much food in there it should eventually squeeze out? Maybe not. The important thing is you have learnt a lot on the journey - a "slip" will happen every now and then and we are usually affected by them more at times when we are already dealing with almost as much as we can handle. Big whoop - it happened, you were honest with yourself, and now you can move on. Take it easy and hugs to you.lb

Husbands do this and maybe sometimes wives - it is a fact of life - well my life anyway. The problem is that when a person is drunk they usually dont realise it and things look like a good idea at the time. My husband doesnt usually remember anything either so there is no point harping about it - as long as it doesnt happen too often.

You have a lot on your plate at the moment and have been coping really well. I would have hit the food cupboard long before you did. It happened, its over - today is a lovely fresh spring day full of hope and promise.

Enjoy this week, work hard at the gym and release those positive endorphins(?).

By the way your new picture look great.
Julie

i was thinking after reading this post, feeling compeled to comment yet at a loss for words, that maybe you indulged (sp?) foodwise because this is an issue you CAN control. i mean, eating, dieting, it's you who manages what comes next. and from what you've been going through, i suppose you may feel a bit helpless (and goodness knows that one of the most unpleasant feeling ever)...
it's hard not to be in control, not to know what comes next, but know this: you are a beautiful woman and i don't mean just physically (like the new photo by the way) i mean overall. you deal with what you have very well. but allow yourself to break once in a while, even in private. i believe it's essential. it's hard to keep up, and with kids and all i know what it's like to want to always be the one seen as "in control"/superwomanesque (my mother did this to me for ages). your kids might not be at the age where they will understand, but do take that bath, light some candles, incence, listen to music you love, and just let the emotions flow. paint, garden.

if only for purely selfish reasons i want a strong m because i am planning to visit australia sooner or later!! :o)

It is very hard that travel costs so much in this country. We have to think very seriously each time we need or want to leave Tasmania. The fares a getting a bit cheaper, but with accommodation and everything else it is a luxury to leave the State. It is annoying when DH's write themselves off. Thankfully mine doesn't do it very often, but he is in severe trouble when he does! He certainly pays for it for a few days! Have a lovely week and don't worry about all that licorice - it will probably "pass through" quickly anyway!

Oh M what you have showed is that you ARE human. Life can be such a battle and yours definitely is. All you have done is finally succomb and indulge yourself. This has been long overdue. We all do it occasionally. It is occasionally that makes it OK. You hav edone it and now you are over it. Well done. By the way don't forget to count me in for the WWA team. HAve a great day. I wish I could help you to win that lotto an dfix up those money problems. Oh yeh don't let that Dh get off too lightly.

Sounds like you've already solved this one yourself. You're doing so well M, we all have slip ups but you seem to hold out longer than most of us would or 'do' in the same situation.
You are such a strong woman. Your life is very busy and you have the pressures that most of us have and then some and you're still really whooping butt at this weight loss thing. The best thing is that you realise where you went wrong and you work through it, write it down and get it over with, so you're definitely doing the right thing.
Remember where you were this time last year, give yourself a big pat on the back and be kind to yourself, you are SO worth it!
Bri

Sounds like things are a bit troublesome at the moment. DH is hereby officially banned from going out drinking and losing his wallet! And puking! And sleeping in!

Hope the financial worries resolve themselves, it is certainly unfair that you should have to worry about your trips to Adelaide.

All the best with the damage-reversal campaign :-)

Good morning sunshine and yes, I did go to sleep early but not early enough *Zzzzzzz*. I just have to get into the routine LOL. Very weird.

Uh oh...I know the hysterics of the man coming home legless. Yep, hilarious at first....but it sucks when you've got *responsibilites* the next day. Dan slept in the front garden last time and I had to drag him in! Too funny.

But onto the money. DOES ANYONE IN SYDNEY HAVE SAVINGS?? I hear you there and I imagine it would be much tougher when you have 2 kids whilst living here too! We're sticking to 2 cats thank you very much. It can be really tough when things are not secure and I know that only too well. It can certainly be depressing.

You having a binge though is not such a bad thing but I agree, you've got Katey Weighty's mantra all wrong. You obviously needed an outlet. You've been so good for nearly 6 months now so to only have a binge now, with everything that is going on is not such a biggy.

You've had and still have some pretty major things to deal with and for the most part, you can cope but let's not deny the fact that in life, we also enjoy some of the bad stuff occasionally too. I think you can do this. I think you are balanced enough to be able to fit this into your life now. You've worked so damn hard and have the tools to make it work, that it'll be okay and you don't have to be so hard on yourself.

Look, now you're already planning how you are going to tackle this and that's awesome. You can change it around because you can control this! You ARE in control.

{{{HUGS}}}

you poor lambie, here's a big hug.
you are doing your best to get through some very difficult times, and a very good best it is too.
LBTEPA

Working on contract can really suck the big one at times. I'm suffering atm cos I had to have a week and a half off with the flu last month...grr! Money worries are awful.

Is it possible to talk to the airlines about assistance with travelling with the kids? I know they have staff for unaccompanied kids so maybe there is something they can do to help.

I've started doing boxing at the gym. Maybe you could try that (and do some training at home) then the next time your DH might think twice about getting legless.

And lastly, what is mango and apple liquorice? why have i never heard of this before? although its maybe a good thing that i haven't.

OMG I was all ready to write something but everything that everyone said was so on the nail... so just writing to let you know I understand and I am here if ya wanna chat.!!!

Chubbymum

i sometimes have the feeling that these hardships are only put on the shoulders of people strong enough to handle them as they come along. that you grabbed for the drop is understandable (i would do the same in the situation and if it were available mmmmmdrop) and as this whole journey is a learning process, you are just dealing with the new issues as they come up, its ok. you know what you need to do, get those running shoes on and get some of that pent-up upset out then slap your man around a little (or maybe thats just me with zero tolerance) either way i understand somewhat of what you are going through, mostly work and finacially wise ... but... mmm i had a point here.

yes, you are one of the strong people chosen to deal with these burdens and you will deal with them in your own way and bounce back as soon as you can and in the ways you know how. hang in there chica, things will get better xoxox

Both my husband and I have no steady incomes. I do contract work, and he gets a percent of the amount of lessons he gives per week (he is a driving instructor).

Although I do contract work, I have no contracts. This means that in my industry (entertainment) you make a deal with a producer for a fixed amount to do their P.R. but do not get a signed paper that says so much money will go to your back acount at that date of that month.

This results in us (my business partner and I) always waiting for a lot of money to be paid to us and yet some months we barely have money to pay the rent, assistant, and taxes. There are some other times that we suddenly get a long forgoten amount of money owned to us.

This lack of stability mainly means inability to plan long term. But there are months that tons of bills pile up and we really struggle. And then we take a trip abroad and splurdge.

When one has to deal with personal issues, daily struggles, serious family situations, and silly men - ;o) - there will come a point of going over points.

No matter what the scales say the day after, when a gain is a conscious gain, and you aknowlesge it and the reasons behind it, it might not just be a gain after all, but a true "gain" indeed.

I have no idea if I am making any sense. And I fear I took too much space to just say that I feel you and I am still proud of your way of dealing with things!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??