« Home | Weigh in - 21 » | Sad but Hot » | Sad » | Close Encounters » | More sensible post » | Debate: Harry v Barry » | Weigh in - 20 » | ww Leader for a Day » | Fancy Schmancy » | Blame »

My Mum

On Friday Mum went into hospital to have her gall bladder removed. It had huge stones that could not be blasted out. Whilst under they performed a by-pass operation for the bile duct as that was completely blocked. But not by a stone. By Cancer. There is a tumour near the pancreas that is significantly agressive. Apparently they have a scan from a few months ago when Mum really started noticing the pains and the growth since then was significant. The biopsies taken at the time of the op have now confirmed that the Cancer has spread throughout. They cannot operate.

The prognosis. Weeks rather than months.

I will be flying to Adelaide on Friday night as Mum is due home on the weekend. My older Sister (who lives in Canada) is making arrangements to come soon as well. My younger sister (who is pregnant and due in November) will be taking the weekend off work. My Dad is in shock.

For the last few days it has been frustrating waiting for the details but my older sister spoke to the Dr herself this morning and got all the information. She told me. I told my Dad. He didn't know. He is a very lost soul today. Mum and he have an unusual relationship. They have been together a long time, are both Dutch and very stubborn, they do their own thing, but in their own way they love each other very much. My Dad will let my Mum's identical twin sister know. She will take it very hard.

My updating and reading may be a bit sparodic for a little while (or I will write more than ever before because I need a release) but please know that I am still thinking of all of you and supporting you all in this wonderful journey through life we are taking together. I am still going to be good to myself, and gentle too sometimes because I will have to be the strong one for a few months. Even though all our attention and effort and love will be devoted to Mum, I know that I am worth taking care of too and I know and understand that this does not make me a selfish person.

After discussions with DH tonight I will be talking to work tomorrow. I will probably ask them if I can move to Adelaide for a couple of months and work out of the Adelaide office. I am sure they will say yes. That way I can still work, but be very very close, and be available every night. (and you never know I may have to track AGR down and get her to take me running LOL)

Thank you all for your wonderful thoughts and prayers. I am OK. I will be sad from time to time, but I will also be strong. I will care for others, but I will take time for myself. Death is part of life and I know that I cannot wave a magic wand and make this go away so the best I can do is just be there.

Oh M, that's terrible news, so sad. I'm so sorry. Sending you all my love and hugs.
I agree that you need to take time to look after yourself, and just do what you can in terms of blogging etc. If I know you as well as I feel like I do over the past few months, I know you won't let your weight loss and exercise habits slide.. afterall, it's become stress relief. We will be here whenever you need us... whether you are writing lots or writing little.
Thinking of you and all of your family.
xxx

Such sad, terrble news, I'm so sorry. I always find such inspiration in your posts, and this is truly no exception. You really amaze me.

I'll be thinking of you and all your family.

Oh dear M, I am sincerely sorry to hear this. I wish we could all give you a bug humugous hug right now! This is terrible news. And the Dutch, I so understand. Your poor father. Do what you feel you need to do right now because that will be the right thing. I hope your work situation allows the temporary transfer so you can be with your mother. It will be so important. You are a much stronger person now and I know that looking after yourself as well will be a given. You have so much more energy these days to be able to cope not only for yourself but to be there for your mother and family too. This will be a hard time but just know that Dan and I will be thinking of you also and sending healing prayers. XX

Wow what a great attitude you are an inspiration to all that read this. I lost my wonderful father a few years ago to cancer and alzheimers my family is also Dutch it was a hard time but you get through. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Margaret, I am so sorry to hear this. You are being so brave and strong. Hearing your sad news really puts my own silly worries and obsessions in perspective. It's so important to be with your family right now, and I hope everything works out so that you can be with them. You and your family are in my prayers and thoughts. You are such an inspiration to all of us who read your blog and have followed your journey so far. Take care.

Philippa xoxox

Wow Margaret, I am lost for words. My most sincere sympathies to you and your family. You will have a hard few monts ahead, and I have everything crossed for you that the transfer to Adelaide is successful. Even if its not - go anyway. Your mum needs you, and you need your mum.

Look after yourself too xxxxxx

Hi Margaret. This is the first time I have emailed you even though I read your blogs every day. My father passed away six weeks ago from an aggressive cancer. You are a true inspiration and I am thinking of you.

What terrible news, Vic lost his mother the same way, they found out while doing a gall bladder op. Fingers crossed that work will let you transfer for a while.
...thinking of you
*hugs*

Thinking of you and wishing this be a time to be with your family and stay strong ( I am sure you will) Keep well and look after yourself. Take care.
**HUGS**
**HUGS**

Just know that I am thinking of you during this hard time and I hope that the Doctors can keep your Dear Mum comfortable. I hope that you can be strong and look after yourself too. Glad that you have an understanding workplace and you will be able to be near your family. Take care XXX

I had been hoping and praying that the news was more positive. I'm so sorry for you and your family. Know that all of us are here for you to lean on for support. This will be one of your biggest challenges yet but your attitude is tremendous. You are also lucky to have such a wonderful husband and kids who I am sure will be an absolute god send during the next couple of months. Take care of yourself.
{{BIG HUGS}} XX

I understand totally what you are going through.

My Dad was told 15 years ago was he had cancer and was given 6 months (at the most) and he lasted 10 years, and then didn't even die of the cancer.

It is hard to cope with something like that at the best of times. If you ever need to talk feel free to email me. I am thinking of you Margaret.

Spend as much time with your mother as you can and tell her how you are feeling. My Dad died after 10 years of fighting and I have no regrets in the fact that he knew how I felt. Even though I do miss him heaps now.

BIG HUGS
Chubbymum

Oh Margaret, I am so sorry, and yet, so proud to have known you even through the distance of the internet. Amazingly courageous and strong, you gave me such a lesson in life today!

Cherish the time with your mother and family. And hold onto your children. When my mother was diagnosed with cancer last year and I was silently crying next to her bed one day she woke up, heard me and told me that this is the natural thing to happen. Parents have to go before their children. It is the other way around that is unbearable.

All my thoughts and prayers will go your way my friend.

Everyone else has summed up very nicely what I wanted to say so I will just let you know that my thoughts are with your and your family

*hugs*

Hi Margaret, I too am thinking of you and your family. Enjoy this time with your mum ! You are one very insprirational woman and I am thankful that you share all your thoughts with us. Take care of yourself.

Margaret I am so sorry **hugs** You have wrote a beautiful post and I have no doubt you will look after yourself and those around you in the coming months.

Thinking of you

Mwah

Margaret, my thoughts are with you and your family. You are such a strong, brave and inspirational woman. I am in awe of your attitude towards the situation that you have found yourself in. That would have to be the most powerful, and yet also very calm, post I have ever read.
Blog if you need to and if you have time, if you don't we will all be here when you come back. In the meantime we will all pray for you and your family and hope that things go as smoothly as possible.
Big hugs to you,
Bri

Everyone has already said lovely things, so I will just reiterate them and let you know that I'm thinking of you right now. I know that death is a part of life, but knowing that doesn't make it any easier. I hope you find a way to deal with the next few months that is suitable for you. If there is anything at all we can do, please let us know.

Lots of hugs to you and your family.

Margaret, I'm so sorry to hear your news. My thoughts are with you and your family. Make the most of your precious time in Adelaide with your Mum and Dad and allow yourself to be indulgent with your emotions.

Take care,

Cath

so sorry to hear your news... we'll all be thinking of you! *huggles*

Gosh this post was a tear jerker M, You are soo strong. I'm so sorry to hear this & hope that your mum enjoys her remaining time as much as possible. I think it is a great idea to work from another city so you can be there for your family. Like you say, the best you can do is just be there & I'm sure your mum will very much appreciate it. thoughts, love, hugs & prayers are being sent your way.

M, I'm so sorry to hear your news. I'll be thinking of you and hoping that you can get through it okay.

Take care - big hugs from me.

And say Hi to AGR if you catch up with her.

PS: Fantastic news about your weight loss this week!

Oh no!
sending hugs and supportive prayers

LBTEPA

So sorry to read that your Mum is terminally ill, it seems like every where
we turn or read there is sadness, you are so wise and sensitive, yes death
is a part of life, but must we face it so soon, to lose my Mum was/ is the
hardest thing I have experienced, she passed away may 2003, and I yearn for
her each day, I miss her so much. take time to be with your Mum and comfort
her so that she may in return comfort you. I am sending my prayers and
wishes to you, Take care

Kindest regards


Margaret

Dear M

I am really sorry to hear the news. So sad. I do hope your work allows you to transfer, must be horrible being far away from her and your father right now.
(((((( HUGS ))))))
xo Sarah

theres not much to say that could make you feel better about the situation so just know anytime you need a friendly ear im here. all the best for your mum and dont you worry about all us out here in dietland we can take care of ourselves, dont stretch yourself too thin, stay strong there for yourself & family. sterkte en allerbeste toegewenst naar jou en jouw familie schat, grote dikke knuffels xox

So sorry to hear this. It's good that you know to look after yourself. At times like this, you have to look after yourself first in order to be able to look after everyone else.

You'll be in my thoughts.

Dear M - everyone has said what I want to say. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I can only imagine how difficult this time is for you. I hope that you are able to transfer to Adelaide to spend whatever time you can with your family - they need you and you need them. Be strong. You have come so far on this journey and I think that it has made you realise just how much strength you have.
Look after yourself so that you can take care of your family. Lotsa hugs and healing thoughts to you and your family.
Me

Oh Margaret - was so sorry to hear abour your mum. You do sound such a strong person and it will take all your strength to get through what is ahead. It will be special if you can go and be with her and your dad, hope that works out for you. Take care and look after yourself. Hugs

My heart is breaking for you. Look to each other for strength and know you have an enormous amount strength inside you as well. And it's okay to lose it sometimes too. With much aroha, Sue.

Oh Margaret, I am so sad for you. Look after yourself and your family. My thoughts are with you in this difficult time.

Jods.

Sorry to hear about this, M. Best wishes to you all from your favourite PI-in-training.

Big hugs M, and I hope work agrees to the transfer.

I am so sorry Margaret. It would be fantastic to meet you and run from post to post together =) I wish it could be in better circumstances though.

Thinking of you and your family at this time

such events are never easy to deal with. but you are very loved, and so is your mom! i know you'll treasure each moment shared! a huge kiss and hug and lots and lots and lots of love!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??