« Home | Weigh in - 14 » | Chilly » | Self-Belief » | Parties » | Too much thinking » | TAG - I'm it » | Balance » | Wee wee wee - all the way home » | Weigh in - 13 » | Alternatives »

Was I ever?

Last night I unpacked one box from my mountain of boxes in the study. Well actually DH unpacked it. After he had dug it out for me. Because I wanted that one. And it was on the bottom of the pile. And I wanted it because it was the very large box with the scribble on the top which read "M's too small clothes - keep". I wanted to see what was in it, and whether it would fit. And if it did fit, was it still in fashion :) I got some yes and no answers.

I found a beautiful pale pink wool shift dress and jacket that I bought in 1999 when I was heading over to Sweden for a wedding. I remember buying it so clearly as I had nothing that would fit me. It was my first (but not last) purchase of a size 16. I remember being in tears in the dressing room. Tears that said I couldn't believe I had allowed myself to get to this size. The lady in the store was brilliant and made me come out and twirl loads of clothes before we agreed on this one. She told me when she thought the clothes made me look hippy, or too large. She was an angel. The dress now fits again. This time the tears were of happiness. With the proper undergarments on (I did try these on very late last night) I think even the baby belly would be OK. The jacket fits amazingly. I am going to wear this with my denim jeans and boots and a shirt. Should look pretty good. I am going to get my wear out of it because this will be the last winter I can wear it ;)

The other clothes. Well. I went to England to work for a year from Feb 1991 - Feb 1992. During that time I shopped. And shopped. And shopped. The clothes in the box were the remnants left of that shopping. There were a few summery dresses. I could get into most (read squeeze and the zipper couldn't quite do up) but they were a 14. Then there was the 12. And the 10. What!!! Was I really ever that small that I could get into a 10. It is a UK 10 so that makes it an Aussie 12 (or if so bent, a US 8). But I don't remember ever being able to wear something that size. But I know I did. When I returned from England I wore this short, cream, dress to DH's family Christmas Lunch. And dropped a strawberry on the dress. And proceeded to clean it up with a red paper serviette. *note to self - never ever use a coloured paper napkin to wipe up anything. Especially not on cream coloured clothes* So those clothes now sit in the wardrobe as an enticement. (Except for the jacket which has gone off to the drycleaners for a jolly good cleaning and press) I probably won't ever wear them again because they are so short. LOL Even I know when I have to surrender to my age. But I'll keep them in there - because I can. ;)

Points FTD: 18.5
Sugar Points: 2.5
Points Left FTW: 135.5
Exercise: Half hour walk at lunch. Walk to Central. Half an hour stride / jog up and down the hall way and around and around the dining table. Total of 13,331 steps.

What a great find - it's great when you find something to wear that you either didn't know you had or haven't been able to fit into forever !!!! I am so glad to hear this - you deserve lovely things because you are a lovely person.
Take care and have a GREAT day !
Me

Now you're freaking me out girl. I did this too on Saturday night! I have 3 travel bags of smaller clothes that I couldn't throw out and thought one day....

Hehe and coloured napkins, d'oh :-)

This losing weight thing really makes you feel great!

Wow, what a great find. It must have been a great feeling to fit back into your old clothes. A reward for all your hard work.

The jacket sounds lovely. Great that you can wear it again.

I didn't realise US 8 is a 12 here. I am always jealous when I see the size 8's on the weight loss shows and wonder why they don't look tiny.

Have a look at Kmart for a mini tramp. Mine was $49.95 full price but when they have their 20 or 25% off exercise equipment is the time to buy. Best $50 bucks I have EVER spent. I can jog rain, hail or shine and no strain on legs, feet etc. Oh, you already know how much I love it!
Have a great day!!!

What an fun and interesting time you would have had with the old clothes!

Great effort with the steps as well:)

Yaaaay for the boxes of old clothes!!! Must feel great fitting into some of them again :-)

I know by the time I discovered some of my "skinny" clothes that I'd been hanging onto in the hopes of one day fitting them, they were already too big! Its a fantastic feeling, and I would encourage more people to try their old stuff on to avoid this happening to them! I have 2 pairs of $150 each jeans that I totally missed the boat on!!

Re coloured napkins - this tactic also does not work for cleaning blu-tac of pale grey walls.

That is so cool M :)

Isn't it just the best feeling when you try on something that you haven't worn in years but had decided to keep for one reason or another and it fits or is too big.

:) Megan

What an achievement girl!! woohoo. It is a fantastic feeling getting into clothes that you couldn't fit a while ago.

Chubbymum

Yey for skinny clothes! :)

Cheers P

LOL I have a suitcase under my sons bed with my too small clothes in it, there is a couple of 10's and 12's in there. i also have a box with my wedding dress in it - that one is a size 22!!! (it is miles too big for me now...just in case you hadn't figured that out)

The pink jacket with jeans sounds gorgeous

those clothes are a great reminder - it will feel great when the dresses fit-or are to big!
My wedding dress was a 22 too!

Oooh, so exciting to fit into old clothes - they almost feel like new clothes! You are doing really well with your steps by the way!

Hey M, must have been something in the sydney water last night - I was trying on my skinny clothes too - and managed to squeeze into some size 10 pants I was wearing about the time I met CB - so I put them on, put on a sexy top and ran around the lounge room of our unit saying "they fit again" with a goofy smile on my face. It's kinda cool when we have these personal triumphs. Soon you'll be replacing the box with one containing "M's too big clothes - give to Vinnies"

Must be such a wonderful feeling getting back into your skinny clothes!! Jacket sounds great! I am jealous, I want a pink blazer to wear with jeans! really good that u can get some wear out of it again too!

you're hot its so awesome you could fit into those 16s again you must be floating on air :)

M that is fantastic! You should be so proud of yourself! You almost had me in tears reading about you being in tears when you first tried it on and when you tried it on again last night. :)

PS Took your advice and am not walking but resting my foot except for actual ballet classes!

WOW M
that is great about the clothes, i have a pile of size 16s that i have left at my parents place, i went through them about 2 months ago, just before i decided to join ww. i said to mum, if i dont fit into these in 1 year i will get rid of them. so the journey begins
well done must be exciting, i cant wait til i can get in mine

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??