« Home | Too much thinking » | TAG - I'm it » | Balance » | Wee wee wee - all the way home » | Weigh in - 13 » | Alternatives » | Strong » | Thunder and Lightening » | Sir Prawn of Arborio » | Abs-olutely Flab-ulous »

Parties

In 1 month, the 8th of August, my little baby DS2 turns 1. I am currently organising his party (actually I am so anal the whole thing is pretty much done even to the wrapping of his presents LOL). And as I read about Kate organising Amelia's 1st birthday it started me thinking about parties and celebrations in general. In our house August starts the birthdays rolling. There is one in September, October, & December with an anniversary thrown in in November. So 5 months straight where at least one weekend will be devoted to entertaining and celebrating and revelling in life.

When I was young and fat and wanting to lose a few kilo's I would often be heard saying, "I'll start after the weekend because it is someone's party on Saturday", or "I'll start in May because we have Easter coming up", or the biggie "I'll kick it off after New Years because there is no point over Christmas". Let's say I did the New Year thing. What did I think was going to happen during the year. Was the world going to stop celebrating birthdays, Easter, 30% off shoes sale in Myer day, just because I was on a "diet". I realise now how futile this thinking is. Regardless of where I am in my journey, whether it be at this stage of learning and losing, or at the end when I will be learning, remembering and maintaining, I am always going to be faced with choices regarding food - especially at social occassions that I do not organise. I am no longer afraid of these. I don't see a party as a bad thing, a thing to be afraid of. It is just a great opportunity to be with people and practice my choice making. After all, it should be more about the people and less about the food. So I say bring it on. And I have 4 weeks to scour every cookbook and forum I know of to plan and make low point party food and impress everyone with my newly acquired culinary skills :D

Points FTD: 17.5
Sugar Points: 2
Points Left FTW: 62.5
Exercise: 45 min walk around Hyde Park/Domain. Walk to Central. 11342 steps

I used to always think I would start a "diet" on a Monday - could never do it mid week. Also made one start at WW but had to stop as my daughter and her man arrived back from the U.K. and I couldn't "diet" with people staying with us! How far we all have come!!!!!:)

My New Year's resolution was to lose weight for the last 10 years, but I would never do anything over Christmas as I love Christmas food. I never did anything after New Years either. Hope you find lots and lots of yummy healthy party food to make :)

Couldn't agree more M. That's exactly what my thought process has always been.

Even now I still have trouble not thinking like that. Hubby's birthday is in 2 weeks and we're going to spend the weekend in town, so my natural thought is to get drunk and eat lots of yummy food!! Think I might have to work on this one for a bit!!

I totally agree with Anne - how far have we all come when we realise that it is up to us to make the best choices that we can with what is available. Isn't it funny to look back at the excuses we used to make about why we couldn't start a healthier way of life NOW.
You are right about parties being about people and not about the food and drinks - why can't more people see that ?????
Good luck with getting everything organised and low pointed !
Take care and thanks for your kind words this morning - you had me crying (again !) when I read them !
Me

I agree with you. I always have put off starting for one excuse or another. Now I am trying to incorporate my social events. I think you need to make wise choices but it is also OK to enjoy some treats on special events and then get back on track. The difference is inthe past I let myself have those special treats an dthen went What the heck and kept on eating, and on and on.

I love parties and special occasions as everyone seems too busy to catch up very often otherwise.

Go girl! Social situations are just another challenge to meet and over come. BRING IT ON!

Great post, loved it, attitude rocks!!!

Great to hear you are planning ahead!!

Bring it on sista! You an old hack at this healthier lifestyle thing now. It's great that you are writing about how it fits into your everyday life. Birthday's are a little hard because it is tradition to have bad food but when you're in control, you're in control :-)

OMG your first paragraph is like!!! it was me writing it.. DS1 is August, Me in September and my DS2 September and another birthday in November and Anniversary in November and another Birthday in December OUCH it is a nightmare this half of the year aye

I am only too familliar with starting on Monday, or tomorrow or next week or after xmas, maybe after easter.......these times never come do they!! procrastination is a weight watchers worst enemy!

i know what you mean. i keep doing that. the latest is: i'm waiting until my mother's client is gone so that i don't "have" to eat at a restaurant anymore... geez. i guess i should kick my behind and start, huh! ;oP i'm sure the party will be awsome, and now i know i have to have jump started things for your son's b-day! :oD

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??