« Home | Wee wee wee - all the way home » | Weigh in - 13 » | Alternatives » | Strong » | Thunder and Lightening » | Sir Prawn of Arborio » | Abs-olutely Flab-ulous » | Captain Washing » | Weigh in - 12 » | Shanks for the memories »

Balance

Even though I really love my job there are times when I am bored with a particular project. Or a particular function. Or bored with the whole concept of work. Usually after a sleep deprived night. LOL. Yesterday was one of those days. Even though I worked, I didn't work very hard and I spent a lot of energy making it look like I was working when in actual fact I was blogging or doing other non-productive things. Now, this is not the first day that it has happened. Thankfully it does not happen very often. But it made me wonder what I used to do on those days - when I did not have my blog. Answer. I would eat. You can make eating a danish and having a hot chocolate take a long time if you are experienced ;)

I have been thinking lately that I have been spending too much time on my blog. Reading other blogs. Generally hunting around. And I do spend a lot of time doing this. Time when I could be doing other things. And I was getting worried that it is starting to take over my life. And become an invasive habit that affected other parts of my life. And to a degree it has. But if I were honest it is not the blog that causes me not to do other things. It is me. It is my procrastination about a task (like unpacking boxes - oops) or a project at work (I will finish it by deadline - oops) that makes it not get done. These things were not getting done before I had the blog, it's just that they are still not getting done and I have something else to blame for it.

I do think, now that I have established some better habits in my life, that I need to obtain some balance in my blogging ways. I need to use the opportunity to think, talk, reflect and discover and I am not suggesting that I give it away. But I need to understand that I cannot use my blog as a crutch that I have to lean on with all my weight - less that it is becoming ;) I am very grateful that I have this diversion. To have somewhere to go when the crankies hit, or the munchies start up, or the boredom sets in. The P.C. is my new Fridge. But whilst it is indeed a healthier habit than the one I replaced, I have to make sure that I balance my blogging wants with what my life needs. As Mary has said "It's all about balance"

And, by the way, have you seen Cath's photo's ? What an amazing transformation. It is great to see the progress so many of us are making. It is really inspirational. All the more reason for me to continue working at it and walking. I have a 8 week walking challenge now so need to move this butt. I wonder how many times I can walk a lap of the floor to get to the printer before someone gets suspicious?

Points FTD: 22
Sugar Points: 6.5
Points Left FTW: 104.5
Exercise: Walk to Central. Total of 7735 steps logged in WWA challenge

I can just see you marking out a convoluted track on the carpet to make the distance from your desk to the print 3.4km!

Yes but blogging is also making new friends and sharing our ups and downs with those who understand. Sometimes those close to us are just sick of hearing about weight loss or don't want to know how we feel at that moment. Don't give up blogging too much, we (I) will miss you. Who cares if we are hooked. I don't think it is a bad thing to get hooked on!

Margaret we need you...keep blogging. I just joined the walking challenge so that can give us something else to focus on. Maybe you need to reward yourself with blogging after you have unpacked those nasty boxes etc. I usually make it my lunchtime treat at work..(cheating today though)

Mmm - I'm another one that can get in the procrasting mode and get a little lost in the blogs - it's a little addictive at times - but the bonus is we are all helping each other and giving support. As Sue said others in our daily life can get sick of hearing about the ups and downs of weight loss! Thanks once again for your comments on my tag!

yesss blogging is not so great when it allows us to procrastinate to the point of never getting it done, ive done it too. does that mean you will post less often *sniff* i'll miss you

Lol, blogging is great huh? I'm so addicted. But i did make a promise to myself no more blogging in work time, I have timesheets to fil in & I need to keep my productive time as high as possible!!
As long as its not actually interferring with your work, its all good!!

Ha, my words come back to bite me on the bum ;-) Yep, balance is the key. I think I'll be able to do it a little better this week, now that most of the work is over.

This is a great post M. It made me think about a few things and I have decided not to hunt around for new blogs anymore. I've got a good 20 that I enjoy reading and that is enough. If someone new comments, I will certainly add them to my list but otherwise....

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??