« Home | Blister Zones » | Comfort Zones » | Knight in Shining Armour » | The lunch crowd » | Why don't I » | Weigh in - 11 » | Late Sunday Post » | An Ode (or is that An Oh Dear) » | Boxes » | Quick Update »

Shanks for the memories

*Can't believe I titled my post that*

The weekends for me are now becoming an opportunity to experiment with cooking. During the week it is so busy by the time we get home with the boys and a mad house couple of hours before they are in bed, that we stick to our one serve of a lean, grilled protein (fish, chicken, lamb, steak - whatever) and zero point veges or salad. This works really well because it is so quick to cook that I don't get a chance to snack before I eat. But I have a little more time on the weekend in that I can cook when the boys have a nap and the food is then ready when we want to eat.

So, I had bought a copy of Family Circle during the week (still makes me laugh that I bought it) and it had the most delicous sounding recipe in it. "Slow-simmered lamb shanks". So I decided to make it for dinner today. Which I did. And we ate. At 4.30pm. Because that is when it was finished and the house smelt so delicious we decided that that was the time to have our dinner. So in case I get hungry later, and as I have absolutely no points left to eat for the day, I have made a zero point soup "chunky corn soup". But I am not hungry and it will probably have to wait until dinner tomorrow. Because I am cooking "burmese chicken" for lunch. It takes 8 hours to cook. So after I post this (which I am pretending is my Sunday Post, even though it is still Saturday in Sydney - it's almost Sunday in N.Z. - does that count??) I am going to start cooking lunch for tomorrow.

LOL.

And since dinner was divine, I thought I would share the recipe.

slow-simmered lamb shanks

Serves 4-6
Pts will depend on the size of the shank

Points Ingredients
0.5 plain flour seasoned with salt and cracked black pepper for dusting
3.5 per 100gms 4-6 French trimmed lamb shanks (I just got the normal ones)
2.0 1 tablespoon olive oil
0.0 375ml (1.5 cup) chicken stock
0.0 400g can chopped tomatoes
1.0 250ml (1 cup) white wine
0.0 6 sprigs thyme
0.0 1 onion, sliced
0.0 2 cloves garlic, crushed
0.0 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped

1. Dust the shanks with the seasoned flour and brush off any excess
2. Using half the olive oil brown the shanks over medium-high heat in batches and set aside.
3. Combine stock, tomatoes, wine and thyme in a jug. Heat remaining oil in the pan. Cook the onion and garlic for 4 minutes or until just soft. Return the shanks to the pan and add the liquid mixture. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook the shanks for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and cook, uncovered for 30 minutes more.
4. Stir through the parsley. Season with extra salt and cracked pepper if desired.
5. Serve with whatever you like. We did couscous (1/2 cup dry served 2 people 2.5 pts each)

Due to the size of the shanks I bought, I had to count my entire meal as 13 points. I question the value of the shank as it did not seem to have that much meat on it. But 3.5 hours later and I still can't eat a thing - maybe it was right.

I so wish I had taken a photo of it ;)

Points FTD: 20
Sugar Points: 1
Points Left FTW: 20
Exercise: Incidental walking - probably 2 hours.

That sounds delish. I will try it in the slow cooker. Thanks.

Excellent, another recipe to add to my collection.

Just need to pull the finger out and actually cook some of them now!!

Have a great day!

And I hope the blisters heal quickly.

Sounds like you enjoyed the cooking as well as the eating. YUMMY.

I must think about actually making myself some yummy food like that! Sounds devine!

Bwahaha..you are such a dag! Great title :-) I really enjoy cooking now that I understand more about my food too so thanks for posting the recipe. And and even bigger thank you for your support the past couple of days {{{HUGS}}}.

The soup sounds nice too- could you write out the recipe?

I bought the same mag for the same recipe but am yet to try it. I did however buy the marinated lamb shanks from coles on the meat dept. They are sort of part cooked so they only take 20 mins in the oven and are absolutely delicious. I had the mint and pea ones. I would really like to have a go at slow cooking some on my own though. I know what you mean about them being filling. I had one with some peas and mash (splurge) and I was chockers!!!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??