« Home | Weigh in - 11 » | Late Sunday Post » | An Ode (or is that An Oh Dear) » | Boxes » | Quick Update » | Mmmm Food » | Copy Cat » | I yam what I yam » | Weigh in - 10 » | Tickers »

Why don't I

I love reading blogs. I love to see how people are getting on, and how each of us have different motivations and tricks to keep us excited and raring to get to each new stage. A lot of people set themselves mini goals with mini rewards attached. And this seems to work brilliantly by all accounts. I wonder why I don't. I have thought about this a lot, on and off, and was never really able to work it out. I even sat down to write some goals, but couldn't. I only have one goal. That is to maintain my weight of 68kgs (within 2 kgs up or down). I have dated milestones like when I hit my first 5kgs. When 10% of my sw was gone. When I reached 30% weight gone, and when I hit 10kgs gone. But these are not goals for me. Merely signs along the path that I have passed.

I also wondered why I don't join in the great challenges that are going around. I think the 5km is great, and Kates 10kgs in 18wks sounds really achieveable. But I didn't join. And I won't. You see, I am really competitive. I can't even play Monopoly with some people because I value their friendship too much. I am mostly competitive with myself. I am so afraid that if I join a challenge and don't succeed that it will trigger some sort of crazed rebellious streak in me. And I know I have one. Perhaps then, I should do it, just to see what happens. And learn to handle myself even if I don't achieve. But then again, do I need to? I am very focussed on the task at hand and currently have no problem in the motivation department. Would rewards help to liven things up for me? I have received plenty of rewards in the past 11 weeks. My rewards are personal little things that I can now do whereas 11 weeks ago I could not.

* I can walk for 3 hours without having to sit down to have a rest.
* I can jog a distance of 3 trees. (one of my personal favourites LOL)
* I can pick up both boys - at the same time.
* I can walk through a food court and not stop and get something to eat.
* I can grocery shop without adding in any chocolate from the check out stands. (Yaaa me)
* I can wear my bathers without hating myself.
* I can climb a step ladder.
* I can smile on a bad day and know that I have not let myself down.
* I can accept that I am who I am.
* I am starting to admire myself for the person that I am, rather than for the things that I do.

So did I answer any of my own questions? I think so. I'll just keep doing what I am doing and continue admiring all of us for our abilities, our failings, our strengths, and our tenacity. And if I collect a few more rewards along the way, all the better for me :)

Points FTD: 26.5
Sugar Points: 6.5
Points Left FTW: 127.5
Exercise: 30 min walk around Hyde Park - incl jog up & down 4 x 25 steps (Have to go further as I am going quicker in the same distance). Walk to Central.

Your list of things you have achieved is great - very inspirational! It is also great that you don't need to join the challenges and set yourself rewards to achieve great results. For me, I have done this so many times that it is totally boring. I need those things to keep my interest! Hehe. You seem very much like an 'all or nothing' person - you have the right attitudes to get you to your goal and I know that somewhere in the next few months I am going to be writing a comment like this "yes!!! you made it!!! woohooo!" - I KNOW you are going to get to your goal because you are brilliant!

What a great list and you have achieved such a lot. You are so motivated and it is great that you don't need to strive for mini goals - only the big one. (And the way you are going you will soon be there!)

that list of achievements is great...

just remember you dont need to be like everyone else to succeed... we all have our own methods.. and yours are obviously working...

keep up the good work...

:)

Oh yeah, you're one of *those* people hey, I like ;-) Great to see you playing around with your blog too!

I tried to set myself mini goals and rewards in the beginning but it didn't work. If I want something, I'll go get it (like the mp3 player). I agree with the reward being the results in itself and it feels so great to have lost some weight.

The goals WW sets are great too and make a lot of sense. Especially the 5kg and 10% goals because once you achieve this, you know you can do it and keep going.

I did join the 18 week challenge and you wouldn't believe it but I nearly asked to be taken off the list last night so they wouldn't have to worry about updating my results. It's not something that's motivating me or not. Oh well. It works for some people though. I am not dissing it either way.

I hear you are the competitive thing! We're Virgos and we are especially competitive and STUBBORN more so with ourselves. If I fail the 18 week challenge, I'd probably be really upset normally but it really isn't an issue for me now. I am on a roll and like you, don't really have a problem with motivation at this stage. You just have to find a balance with this and everything else in your life.

I love the list you made! I can very much relate to most of them. I am sitting here smiling :-)

Great post M!

Can I please have some of yours and Mary's motivation?

I gave myself some rewards when I achieved certain goals, but I soon realised that rewards weren't my motivation (and still aren't).

Good for you being able to list all your achievements so far. The list will keep growing too I'm sure!

You've identified one of the main points about any type of 'programme' - whether it's for weight loss or anything else. And that is - take from it what works for you, discard the rest. Another great post, and plenty of food for thought.

I have the same problem with challenges. It is normally my undoing.

I really love your list of achievements.

I am so hearing you on this one. Challenges do not work for everyone. Of course I want the same outcomes that the challenges can offer, but it is not the challenge (or the reward) that motivates me.... it is the subtle changes that happen along the way. Your list says it all - shifts in mindset, being able to do new things, buy new clothes and to finally be happy with the reflection in the mirror. Yeah! These are the things that do it for me.

This week I set myself a sugar point challenge, and I have not posted about it yet, but I have totally FAILED it! But I don't care - it is not going to set me on a downwards spiral or anything, it just tells me that next week I need to try a different strategy...

I am with Mary - if I want something I do go get it!
so rewards don't do much for me either!
You are doing really well - if it aint broke, don't fix it :)

i agree with you, i have sat down several times to write a goal list and what rewards i will buy myself when i get there, but i dont know if this will work, if i need or want something i usually just go out and get it. My main goal is to lose the weight and get back into my old close and feel good about myself when i go clothes shopping.
keep up the good work, new site looks good

You re SOOOOO motivated. You are to be congratulated for that and whatever you choose to do it is working. I really related to your list and was pleased to note that most of it applies to me as well. SUCCESS in many small areas!

Hrm rewards, i like the rewards idea & i am doing it, but i tend to buy something if i want it, rather than wait! but obviously what you are doing is working wonderfully for you - so stick with what works. All your achievements must feel wonderful :)
I can't wait til I can wear bathers - you lucky thing!

all amazing accomplishments Margaret, you dont have to join the challenges but that walking with attitude site you mentioned really sounds great and you can compete with yourself which is the best way to do it :)

M, you are so self observant - it's really refreshing that you can recycle your acheivements as rewards! It's a great way of looking at it - your proof that you can do anything if you put your mind to it.

I love reading your blog, it's like a self help guide - full of positive affirmations and mottos to live by.

I want to be added to the long list of M's admirer's you know. Really...for who you are!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??