« Home | Quick Update » | Mmmm Food » | Copy Cat » | I yam what I yam » | Weigh in - 10 » | Tickers » | No Guilt » | Runners Legs » | Learning my Lessons » | Am I addicted? »

Boxes

In the past when things were going well for me in one part of my life, I usually expect something in another area to go to pot. That way I could 'justify' stopping the good thing to fix the bad thing. Not this time. I have spent a lot of my spare time lately encouraging my good habits. I spend time learning about healthy eating, about exercise, and I spend time reading blogs. I am not prepared to give that up. However I have other areas of my life too. My family. No issues there. My work. I could spend a little more time concentrating and a little less time wondering what everyone is up to, but I am starting to balance this a little better. My house. There is the problem. I can honestly say that the current housework has kept up pretty well (other than last weekends clean washing is still not folded and put away LOL) but the catch up stuff is still, well, waiting to be caught up.

In the almost 9 years that I have been married, we have moved house 7 times. 7 times!!! And last year we got all the stuff that was still in storage in SA and moved that to NSW as well. DH has changed jobs 4 times, been out of work 2 times, and is now his own boss contracting his time. We also had 2 children, 3 interstate weddings, and 1 funeral. It's been a busy busy time. So I could be forgiven for not quite getting around to unpacking all the boxes...right? I could be applauded for at least having the tax done up to 1996...right? I actually have nothing to worry about...right? Mmmmmm Maybe not.

The unpacking of the boxes, sorting of all the paperwork, discarding of everything useless, the colating of every piece of paper necessary to do the tax, the making of photo albums for photos taken from 1991 onwards, these have been on my To Do List for a very long time. Every now and then I take a stab at it. But I felt it was boring, so my efforts were half-hearted and I did something else instead (ate probably!) Now, I know I have to do this task. But I also know that there is no excuse for chucking away all my good eating & exercise habits just to get in some extra time to do the boxes. I can do both. I can use my newly learned skills of planning and accountability to take stock of the situation and just get on with it. Like my one tree strategy with running, I should just take a one box strategy with unpacking. Don't give myself a deadline, don't worry about anything else on the pile. Just take one box. Empty it and move on to the next one. That just might work. Wonder what I might find - the possibilities are endless ;)

Points FTD: 17
Sugar Points: 5
Points Left FTW: 66
Exercise: 60 minute walk (30 minutes with 10k of rice on my back)

Great strategy! We've just moved from a 5 bedroom house to a 3 bedroom one, so I had chuck lots out. And most of it was just accumulated unk. You could also use your unpacking as a diversion when you're hungry. Have a great weekend.

What a great strategy to tackle (by the sounds of it) a big problem !! It is great that you are putting the skills you learnt with your weight loss - slowly but surely the weight is coming off - so the same will happen when you put those same skills to use in sorting out what needs to be done !
What a fantastic attitude and a great way to look at (and deal with) what needs to be done.
Have a great weekend and take care !
Keep up the fantastic job you are doing - will catch up with you when we get home.
Take care and be good !
Me

Aaagh, I hate unpacking, I can see why you have left it so long! The photos sound fun though - shout me an airfare and I'll come and do it for ya!!!

The only consolation is that it will give you a huge sense of satisfaction when you get organised. Have a great weekend!

Oh yeah! I like the way you relate your eating/exercise habits to other parts of you life. Once you start unpacking those boxes, you won't be able to stop. We move around a lot too because we rent so I love unpacking and CHUCKING stuff out. It feels really good not to carrying all that junk around anymore. Kind of like the weight thing again :-) Have a great day hon!

OMG that is going to be a big job. I would love it! One box at a time is a great idea!

Lol, I would love that job too. I don't know why but I like unpacking things and putting them in their right place. Sounds like you have been super busy over the last few years - I don't know how you do it!

hey how are you? i need help, my blog has gone weird and i dont know what i have done, could you have a look at my sight and see if you know what i might have done
thanks fiona

To Fiona. Hope you check back here because I can't send you an email or link to your comments on your site. Please send me an email at margaret_ev @ telstra . com and I will send a reply. Having a quick look at the source code on your page there is a bit of HTML error on there that may have caused it.
Hope you get this message.
Cheers

Wish I had some junk to go through. My hubby is a minimalist so there's never any junk or stuff in boxes in our house.

Miss having a junk drawer too!

thanks so much for the suggestion M. im going to cehck out that site, the thought of a virtual walk around Australia is exciting :D

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??