« Home | That photo » | Weigh in - 08 » | Holding it together » | Elevators » | Pole Dancing » | Pizza and Puke » | A piece of grass » | Patterns » | Weigh in - 07 » | What it is all about »

SP's

Sugar Points. How can 2 little words have such an effect on my food. On my eating habits. On my life. (a little dramatic - I know) Up till now I thought I was doing fine in the SP (can't even bring myself to use the words anymore) department. I drink in moderation and had even been having my Jim Beam in half measures with d.coke so that they are only worth 0.5 points each. So I am merrily tracking away, writing down all I eat and I happened to have a discussion with a ww-friend who innocently said to me "Don't the ww cookies count as sp's?" I say "No... I don't think so... They wouldn't have sugar listed in the first 3 ingredients would they... Actually I don't know - never looked". So I looked. And I gasped. And now have to count them as sugar points. Damn. Damn. And damn again. Wish I had never looked. So now I have to rethink my general core eating plan as I was happily eating 4 - 6 cookies a day, getting my sweet tooth fix, and thinking I was being an angel. Not true. But now I know. Now I have the ability to change that little thing in my journey that may help me even more. This weeks total will be over as I consumed 10 on the first day (Freddo Frogs got me) but I will now cut back and replace the bulk of the afternoon cookies with something else - yoghurt perhaps, or fruit, or I have to make something that doesn't count as sugar points. What a challenge ;)

Points FTD: 17.5
Sugar Points: 1
Points Left FTW: 105 .5
Exercise: 40 minute abs & circuit class (ouch). Walk to Central.

I know, I know - those darn sugar points! I tracked mine in about week 4 and had to make a BIG change too. Yoghurt is a good replacement - low GI and plenty of calcium for us gals. How about snow peas? Do you call them that in Aus? They're a mid-afternoon favourite of mine. As always, well done on analysing your intake.

Oh no - isn't it awful when you find out something you are eating is SP and not 'ordinary' food !! I was like that with muesli bars - they are also SP !!!! And I was eating 1-2 a day as well as my 14 SP!!!!!
I eat nut bars now (please don't tell me I have to count those as SP as they are my saving grace) & have dried fruit and rice crackers for my mid morning snacks.
Take care and have a great week !
Me

Bummer! That's a nasty shock, but as you say it can only help with your progress. Good luck!

LBTEPA

What about a diet Nestle choc mousse? No sugar and very tasty. Might help for a sweet snack. I am lucky I guess cause I have never counted sugar points but plain things are my weakness and cheese was a very hard thing to cut down on. Still manage to have a glass (or two) of red wine each night!

Have you tried not counting them? I wasn't sure how to so I didn't. We are eating so much healthier already that a few sugars..do they really make a difference? Fruit is a good one. I know you don't have to count that as a SP. Haha...cookies are a killer no matter the sugar/fat content :-)

Good going on the exercise!!

I like filling up on goodies like dried apricots, rice crackers. Can't bet a bikkie though! Another thing I like which is sweet but no sugar - a diet jelly made with 1 cup boiling water and one cup natural yoghurt. Low points too!

reading this makes me wonder if i'm missing something in not counting my sugar points...
okay! you've converted me! (since several of you that i read talk about it, it must be an awsome thing!)
and by the way, 17.5 points is darn good! :op and you've got a killer smile if i can say so myself!

seems a little shy (the smile) but sultry and sensuous.

I think you can get really carried away with it. somepeople saying to count it if the first two ingredients are sugar. It gets too complicated then. Remember you lost weight doing it the other way, why not continue on with what works and then if it stops working, look at some changes

You know what - if your 3 points worth of ww bikkies are the only thing stopping you from eating a 7 point choccy bar or a whole lot of icecream, then I reckon you're making a good choice!

Not that I'm trying to sabbotage your progress though M! I never counted sugar points when I was losing the first time round, I don't think I consumed too many of them, but did need something sweet and low point fix is much better than the high point one!

Well done with the cutting of your JBs in half! I'd never thought of half shots before! (Oh sorry, i know you mean them with Diet coke... hehe ;-)

At the momentm, my 'value for points' snack is getting out a saucer sized plate, piling it full of carrot & celery, 10 rice crackers and a bunch of salsa - looks like a feast - all for 1 point!!

I'm very slack with my sugar points but managing to loose just fine! before WW I could've easily ate 20sugar points a day so even if I have 30 a week, its still cutting it dramaticly!
If you really wanna try stick to 14, the WW mousse's are suitable for diabetics & the sugars are just the lactose from the milk. I was over the moon when I made that discovery!

It's so hard to know what is a sugar point and what isn't - especially since there are so many words for sugar - and some of them you would never even guess! I haven't started counting mine yet - I'm going to wait till I start to plateau and then use that to try and give me a kick start again. You are doing so well though Margaret - don't be too hard on yourself. Look at that class you did today - sounds hard!!

Like everyone else, I believe you should do whatever works. You are losing great without counting sugar pts, so I wouldnt worry about them.

I count my sugar pts, because if I didnt I would overdose on sugar pts and eat 100's of them every week....

Anything with sugar in the first 3 ingredients is a sugar pt. This pretty much includes any ingredient ending in "ose", eg polydextrose, glucose.

i have no idea about sugar points but if you want some help in the sweet tooth department id suggest elstar apples as they are sweet and much crunchier than the mushy golden delicious apples which i guess are sweeter than elstar but who likes mushy apples :)
also melon... watermelon, galia, honeydew, cantaloupe. i find its great for a sugar fix :)

oo! frozen grapes too! although i dont know if thats at all appealing since you are in winter now :)

half measures of bourban.....noooooo!

I know that I just couldn't do that. My bourbon has to taste just right. A bit more or a bit less just wouldn't taste right for me.

Maybe that's why I'm not losing and you are!

But congratulations anyway. You certainly deserve to lose with all the thought and hard work you put in.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??