« Home | Pizza and Puke » | A piece of grass » | Patterns » | Weigh in - 07 » | What it is all about » | Zzzzzzzzz » | A case of the grumps » | Would you like papadums with that? » | Spinning Around » | The best laid plans »

Pole Dancing

Following on from AGR's blog where she posted a link to Pole Dancing, I decided to have a look at what she was talking about. After hunting through the site I found that they have 5 sites in Sydney, 4 very close to my work. So I rang a friend last night and we are going!!! Only to have a look mind you, just to see what it is all about. When thinking about the possibility of taking this up as a form of exercise it raises all sorts of questions about how we perceive ourselves to be and the perception that no matter what we do, people are always looking at us and commenting on our size. Of course, if I was to pole dance in the required outfit of tight fitting top (so it doesn't get in the way) preferable hot pants or at the very least shorts (so that you can grip the pole better with the back of your knee) and the obligatory high heeled, knee high boots (that's just wrong people) I would expect people to look, and laugh, and possibly choke on their drinks.. But, to a lesser degree I still get that feeling today and whilst I am trying to positively talk myself out of it, habits die hard. For example, on the bus today I had to sit next to a lady who was already on the seat, and neither of us are small people. But when I sat down she made such a big deal of sighing, moving across and trying to squish herself against the window that I just felt everyone was looking at me and thinking how rude I was to sit in a space that was obviously too small for someone of my girth. Aargh. And in reality I know that probably, no one even noticed. And if they did, what do they care - I didn't sit next to them. So what can I take away from this.

  1. That, even though I am feeling very comfortable in my skin right now and because the clothes I currently own now either fit or are a little too loose, I have to remember that those clothes are a size 18 and that is still a large size.
  2. That, I still have some goals to achieve and I should never question other peoples opinion because if I am being true to myself then that is the most important thing.
  3. That, if I had sat next to her in my pole dancing outfit - well I would have expected a much bigger reaction ;)

I think good on you for even looking into the possibility of pole dancing. I think, like you, that we all think shock horror when someone mentions pole dancing (well I know it is something I wouldn't take up) but if it is what you need to do to tone up the muscles you want - go for it and have fun !
I can so relate to the bus story - how often did that happen to me in South Africa when I used to catch the bus daily !!!!
Take care and have a great weekend !
Me

lol, you're funny :-)
Good on you for stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new, I hope it's heaps of fun!

WOO HOO! I so wish I could come along but I still need to find that confidence. Good on you girl! You are going to look so hot and not for the men, for the ladies *purrr*.

My friend's sister (Simon, Vanessa) runs Bobbi's in Castlereagh Street.

Check it out -
http://www.bobbispolestudio.com.au/

And sometimes we have to...

"Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinion of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth." Kathryn Mansfield

I'd love to have the confidence to try a pole dancing class :o)

I really related to this even though I am feeling very comfortable in my skin right now and because the clothes I currently own now either fit or are a little too loose, I have to remember that those clothes are a size 18 and that is still a large size

I think I got a bit comfortable when my clothes starting to fit nicely, and slacked off, I need to remember, they still are size 18!!

Thankyou for all your supportive comments, they help so much!!

Have a great weekend!!

Can't wait to hear what your thoughts on the pole dancing class will be...

Pole dancing sounds interesting - great to look at new ways to help you! Have fun!

Super lovin it girl! (I'm back by the way!!!)

I don't know if i'm ready to pole dance yet, or if the pole is ready for MOI, but i wanted to do something similar.. so I got these funny tacky DVDs by Carmen Electra. Strippercise or summink, anyways, they are a blast!

Alex *loves* it and I've already lent them to my friends and we've had a great laugh.

Go you good thing!!!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??