« Home | Patterns » | Weigh in - 07 » | What it is all about » | Zzzzzzzzz » | A case of the grumps » | Would you like papadums with that? » | Spinning Around » | The best laid plans » | Weigh in - 06 » | Back from Play Date »

A piece of grass

On the header of my blog is a little grab from a poem. The poem is by Douglas Malloch and the entire poem is as follows:

BE THE BEST OF WHATEVER YOU ARE

If you can't be a pine tree on top of a hill;
Be a scrub in the valley --
BUT BE the best little scrub by the hill;
Be a bush if you can't be a tree.

If you can't be a bush, be a bit of the grass
And some highway happier make;
If you can't be a Muskie than just be a bass --
But the liveliest bass in the lake!

We can't all be Captains, we've got to be crew,
There's something for all of us here,
There's big work to do, and there's lesser to do,
And the task you must do is near.

If you can't be a highway, then just be a trail,
If you can't be the sun, be a star;
It isn't by size that you win or fail --
Be The Best Of Whatever You Are.

When I first saw this poem I thought it reflected what I was feeling at the time. As a child I was encouraged to be the best, the smartest, the winner. And, during school I generally was. Then when things started to change I took that as a sign of failure and nothing I ever was, was good enough. But digging deep and looking at the bigger picture that the world is, I think I came to an understanding with myself. No matter what stage I am at, in my life, it is my life. I can choose to hide away and not want to come out until I am that pine tree at the top of the hill, or I can come out now and enjoy life as a piece of grass alongside the highway - ever aspiring to be the pine tree. So that's what I am today - a piece of grass, happily waving to the world as it goes by. I just hope that someone doesn't come along and try to smoke me ;)


Note at 4:06pm. I did blog at 8:32 this morning but then blogger killed me off till now. I am happy to report all is well and I am back on air. Whooo Hoooo

LOL at your last sentence!

She's back! We were suffering M withdrawal I reckon :-) That's a great poem. I hope you got my email reply earlier?? My hotmail decided to play up also today.

Yes, lots of blog publishing problems today! Love this sentiment. Maybe today we can make up a clump of grass, happily waving in the sun!

id probably be the one trying to smoke you LOL anyway its a great poem and i think everyone should be the best at whatever they happen to be but dont lose the aspirations to achieve more and be more if its a possibility :)

another great post magaret :)

Lovely poem - I was wooried that you had dissapeared too!!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??