« Home | Learning my Lessons » | Am I addicted? » | Tights » | Weigh in - 09 » | Yeah Baby » | A fun day » | Changes » | Cheers » | SP's » | That photo »

Runners Legs

Before I began my ww journey the only time the word 'runner' would have passed my lips was to say that I am not a runner, or Look at that runner - he/she is crazy.. Now thanks in part to A Girl Running, Jay Kay, and the many people taking up the 5K challenge, I am actually starting to think about running, about runners, and more specifically about runners legs. It is AGR's fault. She was the one that made me wonder if runners legs are all that great. Surely they can't be that different to the huddled masses? So yesterday I decided to check it out for myself. As it was a beautiful 22 degree sunny winters day I passed over the gym in favour of hoofing it around Hyde Park. To exercise of course, but also to gather research material.

There were a miriad of people out, taking in the sunshine, and this included runners. All sorts of shapes and sizes, and outfits. All of the blokes wore shorts (some so short I had to look away for fear of fainting) and this gave me great opportunity to study their legs. OK. Not bad (except for the really hirsute man who also wore aforementioned short shorts - ewwwww). I can see that the calves of the male runner tend to be sleek and muscular, nice knees, great quads, hmmmm overall a good result. The women on the other hand gave me no great research material as they all wore long pants. Trackies, tights, or yoga pants. Not good for research. After I had reached the fountain at the northern end of the park - my half way mark - I rounded it to the sounds of the bells of St Mary's Cathedral whilst a military band tuned their instruments ready for a concert. It was fantastic - but not why I was there. Back to my research. On the walk back to the memorial (25 steps up, 25 steps down) I passed a runner. The runner. She was gorgeous. Long straight blonde hair tied back. Little tank top (mmm bra?). Yoga pants. Very thin. *sigh* If that is what I could look like if I ran I am there... So, at the next tree I thought OK this is it - run. So I did. For the total distance of 1 tree. Approximately 5 steps. o.m.g. My hat goes off to you runners. I think it may be some time before I get runners legs but I'll take it one tree at a time..

Points FTD: 17
Sugar Points: 4.5
Points Left FTW: 67.5
Exercise: 40 minute walk around Hyde Park (incl 5 steps jogging). Walk to Central.

LOL! And what about runners' boobs? My double D cups refuse to be controlled by even the strongest sports bra. Once those babies really get bouncing, I'm worried they'll throw me to the ground! Brisk walking is definitely more my style. Also, last time I ran with my dog, he tripped me up and I broke my arm!

Five steps would be my limit running! I jog on my tramp, that's as close as I will get. I once had a sprinting race with my husband (about 20 steps and I won), but he could then continue on for 10 to 16 kms! That was the end of me!
A nice walk around Hyde Park sounds lovely. And such a warm day. We had a top of about 8 degrees!

What a brilliant experience. One tree at a time sounds very achievable too. I've been thinking about running alot also but I've been a little worried about all the injuries I keep hearing about. My leader is a runner too. We'll see, one tree at a time ;-) Have a great day madame!

Mmmm - my boobs would be a problem too! I think I will stick to aqua and walking! Good on you though - next time you will increase those steps!
Have a great weekend!

Take it one tree at a time, and before you know it you will be running.

Go have a read of Paulene's journal (link on my page) for some running inspiration, she's a new runner and has made excellent progress!

Thanks for your comment this morning, it was very much appreciated!

Oi! Where's your ticker missy!? Sounds like you want one bad..I've been seeing your comments ;-)

Lol! Good on you for giving running a try! When I try and jog I usually end up going slower than I do if I walk, so I don't think it really counts! Hehe. One tree at a time is a great idea!

"One tree at a time" can be my new mantra! I'm desperate to try running but I just can't seem to do it! Good on you for giving it a go and you'll be swinging from the trees in no time (ok so running past them but swinging sounds better!)
I might try it on the treadmill at the gym, 30 seconds at a time! Then I can gradually up it as I go!

I'm so glad that I've inspired you just a little bit. I never used to run. Hated it with a vengence. Then one day I met someone at work who was about as fit as me, who didn't run either. We both joined the same gym and we helped each other start running. A little bit at a time is my motto (or one tree at a time!!). I've found that having someone to run with is really inspirational.

If you were in Melbourne (or I was in Sydney) I would love to help you with the running. It's such a buzz when you've finished your first run. Hard to explain, but once you've done it, you'll know what I mean.

Keep it up, you're doing a great job!!

Oh yeah, I'll take a photo of my legs for you and post onto my blog so you can see what mine look like!! (sounds a bit kinky doesn't it!!)

I am thinking of giving it a try at the local park... will let you know how I go :)
...I do need to find a really good bra first!

I would also love to run but agree with some of the other comments - brisk walking is about my limit ! A good bra is a definite must and I haven't found one that really does the job yet unless you want to pay heaps of $ - for now I am going to have to be content with packing shelves, pilates and getting on the gym when I can. Good luck when you do decide to join the masses - it really is like a bug, once it bites you, you just can't get rid of it. My Dad ran the Comrages Marathon in South Africa 10 times - it is a 90km race from Durban to Pietermatirizburg or Pmb to Dbn. He also ran the 100 miler twice !!! That was total dedication.
Have a great long weekend and take care !
Me

Not sure about runner's legs as like you I shy away from running and/or parks, but mmm professional tennis player's legs and unlike park runners, they're always in the appropriate lengthed shorts...

I used to love running before arthritis set in - then weight gain etc etc. You really are an inspiration - go for it! After reading your journal have restarted my own journey keeping a private journal at home. Into week 3 and have managed to lose 1.7kgs.

LOL Glad I have inspired you in some way! One tree at a time is a great way to think, I started off like that but it was one light pole at a time.

That beautiful thin midriff/yoga attired runner sounds like me....at goal ;)

I have become a real calf perve. Doesn't matter what gender, as long as they have legs than I am checking them out!

Gawd now I sound like a freak!!

you and me both! heres to 1 tree at a time. good first go woman :)

ThaAt was so funny Margaret. I also have never run, my whole life..then in Jan I joined a training group. I avoid the running sessions wherever possible. Then this Mon I accidentlty attended the running session and I think I want to try. I count my strides..about 50 then walk.. Now I want to increase that number. Next timeI will try your 1 tree at a time. Thanks

Wow M - you have quite following don't you. By the sounds of it, you could start a new blog dedicated entirely to perving on runners - their legs, their boobs and your trees! ;-)

I am very bad at running, walking is definately the limit of my athletic capabilities! I think I have the worst legs for my age out of anyone I have ever known - add cellulite to bowlegged and you get a girl who is majorly in to long pants LOL.

Good on you for giving it a go though, I love the Hyde park walk, I used to do that one on saturdays - kind of emersing my self in sydney. It was good when I could fit it in!

Have a great weekend chook!

You make me laugh... I too want to be a runner but I imagine it will be a couple of years off he he he he well done for the 1 tree attempt (lift my hat off to you he he he)
ChubbyMum

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??