« Home | Tights » | Weigh in - 09 » | Yeah Baby » | A fun day » | Changes » | Cheers » | SP's » | That photo » | Weigh in - 08 » | Holding it together »

Am I addicted?

When replacing any bad habit (mine - food) it is common and fairly normal that the time it used to take to do the bad habit is replaced with something else. Mine has been tracking everything that goes into my mouth, making sure I exercise, and blogging. Now two of these things are unquestionably healthy but I was starting to question whether I am addicted to blogging and whether this is a healthy thing. To aid in the search for my answer I went to the source of all information: google. I asked it the question "is it possible to be addicted to blogging". There were so many responses I didn't know where to start. But start I did. I found two very interesting perspectives on this question. Michele and Looseleafs. Both validate that it is very real as is blogging fatigue. But is it bad? Is it bad for me?

NO.

I may be a little addicted to blogging. I may take delight in reading about the successes and challenges of people who are on a similar journey to mine. I may be temporarily saddened when a favourite of mine hasn't written anything for a few days. I like to burst out laughing at my PC, whether at home or at work, and feel the pressures of the day explode around me. I like to feel empathy for someone who is doing it tough - but getting on with it anyway. I like to silently (and not so silently) applaud these efforts that are happening all around me, in my city, my state, my country & my world. It makes me feel good. It makes me feel less alone as I travel down this path.

Would I still be losing weight if I was not blogging? Hard question. As I am of a cyber age I would have turned to the internet for help, ideas, information anyway, and that is what I did when I found other bloggers which in turn encouraged me to blog instead of keeping a manual journal. The blog is not losing the weight for me, I am doing that, but the blog and the giving and receiving of support help me to keep focussed - and that's what I need to do.

Would I now have difficulty if I could not blog? I would have to say yes initially because it has become part of my day. It kick starts my accountability to myself by stating what transpired the day before and allows me to free myself of the little frustrations that may have once turned me to food for comfort.

Am I going to continue blogging? Hell yes!



Points FTD: 22
Sugar Points: 3
Points Left FTW: 106
Exercise: Walk to Central

Could posting so early in the day be another sign of your addiction?
Like you say - it's helping, so how bad can it be? People share their thoughts and feelings in different ways, and you've found a way that works really well for you.

LMAO I was about to post about the time you wrote your entry but Sue beat me to it.

I love blogging too - I find it hard not having the time lately to update as much as possible but it's even worse knowing I cant read my favourites for a few days

I worry I have missed out on something!

Must admit I'm new to actually having my own journal but I have followed qutie a few blogs up until now. It has helped me in so many ways - I don't know if I would say it's an addication I just look upon it as a support tool!

I think blogging is great and I don't care if I am getting addicted. I really enjoy reading other's ideas and everyday lives. It is real life. I was upset one day when I discovered a "nasty" blogger who took delight in leaving horrible messages for people. Then I rationalised it by telling myself that there is always at least one person who finds fun in making others miserable. Thank goodness blogging is made up of mostly great people just enjoying their life and wanting to share their thoughts and ups and downs!

Yes I am sure the chicken would be OK cooked in a casserole in the oven. (about 1 to 2 hours in moderate oven?).

It's an addiction I tell ya! Just ask my partner..haha and I really don't think it's such a bad thing. It's helping us on a specific journey, allowing us to communicate and meet new people who are also experiencing similar things. It's all valid.

There are some super crazy bloggers out there though and I can honestly say that I don't believe our little posse fits into that profile.

Blogging has definitely helped me stay on track during the week. If I had no one to blah with during the week about weight and stuff, I wouldn't be so successful. I think people need people and need to share their thoughts and experiences in whatever medium they choose.

I am going ot go as far as to say that this is like meeting at the pub for a beer. Well maybe, close. Sort of..you know what I mean :-)

I hope you continue blogging or I'll come and hunt you down! See, now that's serial blogger behaiour. Maybe I need help..haha!

I am definitley addicted - what a pity I didn't find this forum before I got the job at Coles - I would have had something to keep me occupied at night when I couldn't sleep !!! I have to try to sneak looks during work as I just don't have time at home to catch up on blogs. What worries me now is - how am I going to manage for two weeks when I am away on holiday with no blogs to read ??? How much will I miss and more importantly, how long will it take me to catch up as I can only read a few entries at a time while waiting for reports to run etc ????? I know that if it wasn't for this I would have fallen off the rails long ago - it really does keep me honest.
I love your blogs M - they are honest and often give me something to think about !
Take care and have a great day !
Me

See, we are all addicted. I know personally that I would not possibly have lost weight without blogging or my friend Kelly Maree on msn.
Yes I still could do it, but I wouldn't have. My partners eats rubbish - not just high points but low nutrition, We have sooo many shouts for morning tea at work & drinks in th boardroom every friday night.
I've been unsuccessfully trying to loose weight for years and I now have the support I need. If I'm having a bad day, I winge, If I've done well I gloat. And then a group of wonderful ladies leave nice comments for me that make me feel awesome! I love blogging!

I also have Kelly for a more one on one type support and we lean on each other when we have bad times. God Bless the internet!

Hey M, great post today, really enjoyed reading it, and could really relate to a lot of your comments.

As for the addiction... I don't think this is the only tool in my journey, but I do find myself thinking during the day about what I'm going to talk about in my next post, and my dialogue with myself is even in the past tense as if I am actually writing it down!

its a healthy addiction as far as addictions go, im glad you will continue blogging :)

I agree it is a healthy addiction also a helpful and rewarding one, we could be doing worse things. I really enjoy checking how everyones days are going and keeping up on where everyone is at.
We are all such different people, from different areas but all on the same path and know exactly what we are all going through.
I'll admit it I am addicted, I'd love to count how many times I check the computer a day to see who has posted!!! Sad or not so sad but true!!!!!

Hi, my name's Jaykay and I'm an addict!!

I've been quite busy at work this week and haven't had a lot of time to check everyone's blogs.

I've got a favourite list of blogs that I read as soon as I get to work. Then if I've got nothing to do (yeah right!!) I log onto Globe of Blogs or Blog Explosion to read random blogs too.

I'm totally adddicted, even to the point where my daughter gets mad at me if I'm on the computer for too long!!

You just keep blogging away Margaret as you write so well and are open and honest!

Blogging is great. Addictions and obsessions are great. As we enjoy our lives and don't hurt anyone. Oh yes, greatness is great as well.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??