« Home | Runners Legs » | Learning my Lessons » | Am I addicted? » | Tights » | Weigh in - 09 » | Yeah Baby » | A fun day » | Changes » | Cheers » | SP's »

No Guilt

Why is this ww journey for me more successful than any I have been on before? Why am I getting good results now when efforts previously have been a very mixed affair? What am I doing differently? My first real effort to lose weight was in September 1995. I had been proposed to, we had worked out that the wedding would be at the end of the following year and I didn't want to look like a pavlova. So I joined ww with my Mum and we went to meetings and thought we followed the program. But we must not have had our head in the right space because after every meeting we would go and have the biggest pig out and 'justify' it by saying we had all week to burn it off. Everytime I would overeat, or eat a 'bad' food I would feel guilty and then emotions took over and I would just stuff the whole week up. I did lose some weight, did not get to my goal, made an OK looking bride, and starting putting weight on the day after. What a disaster.

This time I am listening to the rules. I understand and accept the choices only I can make. There is no bad food. There is only food that is high in points and low in points. I can have a high point food and write it down. It isn't bad. It does not make me feel guilty if I choose to have 3 bourbons (half measures), some ice cream (ww choc) and a piece of chocolate (fun size milky way). I just write it down. I refuse to go over my points for the week so I make it harder on myself for the other days if I do eat too much on a single day but I do not feel guilty. I refuse to give that much power to my food. It is simple but this does not mean easy. Every day I still make decisions about what I do or do not eat. I choose to eat food that are lower in points because then I can have more food. I love food. I love vegetables, I love salad, I love chocolate. I fancy alcohol every now and again, but can do without if it means I have to eat less. By not labelling food as good or bad ww removes so much of the emotional ties we place on food. By understanding this now I have been able to balance so much more, and eat so much more than I ever imagined. Which is good. Because I love food :)

Points FTD: 27.5
Sugar Points: 6.5
Points Left FTW: 40
Exercise: Walk to Central.
Thank you to everyone who encouraged me regarding running. I still think it is very funny that the thing I did could be called running but I am going to add 1 tree to the distance each time I head to Hyde Park. Then one day I will be able to run the entire avenue of trees. Or have surgery to get runners legs. Sweet.

I have been really inspired and in awe of your total dedication to counting points. It is really interesting to know that you tried WW before but found your motivation so much stronger this time. WW has become such a an easy program to follow now that nothing is limited. I remember when I first tried it at 17 and for a week or two I couldn't eat any bread or potatoes and had to eat lots of fish.
It doesn't feel like a "diet" any more and that is the secret i think.

Unless your a little piggy like me! I am doing well so far this week though.

Your last two posts have been great. You have a wonderful, healthy relationship with food, and your head is definately in the right place. Go girl! You will be a running superstar in no time, the trick is to just look after the twins and push yourself a little further every day. Oh, and try not to look like Phoebe!!!

Yes the WW points system is great. I love food too and it's great to work out how much yummy healthy food we can fit into our points. It's also great to have a treat or a wine as well and not ruin all our hard efforts. You are obviously really ready this time to make it work and you are much more conscious of how much better you feel and look!

You have the right attitude and will succeed this time! I think the point system is the best way to get the results as we are the ones that make the choices and the choices have no limits providing we stick to the points!

The way you have explained how you deal with points makes it sound so easy! That's fantastic that you are so in control of how you spend them (we all are obviously but you are so deliberate - which is very very admirable!).
You must be starting to get comments now from people noticing you have lost 10kgs!!

You make great points M! It is so true, the idea is very simple but not necessarily easy but it certainly helps if we really want to do it in the first place :-)

Thanks for a brilliant post. I love the way you look at things. I feel the same way about having low point foods so then I can eat more good stuff, yum!

I am so glad to have *met* you, you're a great inspiration and support. I only hope that I give back to you as much!

Have a great weekend sista!

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Margaret - I don't know if it's possible to delete comments? If so can you please delete my previous comment then leave this one? I messed up the link.

--

Ahh Margaret, I love reading your blog. You are so inspiring, you know that? You definitely have your head in the right place and your humour too, I was lmao at the suck it in tights and measurements. Congratulations to you for being so firm with yourself and sticking to your points, saying no to the chips, having the courage to say to the waiter what you wanted rather then just taking what was there. And good luck with getting to the next tree. :)

work the program and the program will work. you are working it HARD Margaret you rock :)

Isn't it funny how we have all been in the situation where we used to go to weight watchers and it didn't work for the exact same reason that we would pig out and then be really upset that we had done that and just keep going. I have only just started realising that I was only hurting myself. People were telling me that but until you see it for yourself you just keep doing it!! Well done for realising it! Go you runner you!!

The mind-set makes all the difference, you're right. I also have that feeling of 'this is the right time'. It's great you've decided to join in 'giving your weight away' - it all helps people in need! And we'll feel even better about our weight loss.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??