« Home | Missing In Action » | Weigh Day - 17th July » | Job Vacancy » | Weigh Day - 10th July » | Weigh Day - 3rd July » | A Day at the Races » | When too much pink is never enough » | Swish swish » | Weigh Day - 26th June 2006 » | Weigh Day »

A whole lot of .... Stuff

** Long post warning **

My post tonight is going to be a little disjointed. Which is probably fitting as that is how I am feeling of late. Not disjointed as if I had been drawn and quartered in some medieval torture routine but just that I feel like a lot of things are going on in my life, and in the lives of others, and sometimes I feel I have too many thoughts in my head and they get so jumbled that I need to put them all down and get them in order. Not all of them are bad, in fact some are brilliant - anyway here goes.

My life is generally very good. Mark and I both work and get paid well for our time. This puts us in a very lucky category. However over the last few years we have been living every so slightly above our means and it is all catching up with me. I like to have certainty and whilst I can happily live with a controllable debt, when it gets too high I start to panic. I worry about what would happen if I lose my job - or worse if Mark were to lose his. We have ourselves locked into a couple of things we can't change readily (rent, leases etc) but I am working through the smaller things to slowly build up a snowball effect of paying off debt and whilst it is still in the infancy of planning I can see that we can work our way out of it. It will take some changes to our (and by this I mean HIS) spending habits but if we can lock in an agreed budget and make it flexible enough to still have some fun but focus on debt reduction I think we can do it without turning into a couple of Scrooges.

**Edit** Had to remove my 'secret spy' story as may have unwittingly caused some problems. Oops. If you took down the details and are going to follow it up please don't use my name and please don't say that I put it on the internet. Silly me.

I am also looking at being the local Avon lady. LOL. No seriously. There is no one in my area doing it as far as I can tell and after discussing it with Mark last night we have worked out a plan of walking on the weekend that will allow us to do deliveries etc. I have sent in an email requesting a phone call and information and it has almost been 24 hours (their promise of reply) and so far no phone call. So I may still back out of this one but my Mum used to be an Avon lady when I was at school and from memory she made pretty good money. So there is nothing to lose by making a phone call.

AND I have scheduled in a date to go to the Blacktown Trash & Treasure (which runs every Sunday) to offload a heap of stuff. In the past everything we have grown out of, tired of, needed to make some space from etc we have donated to charity. Which is cool. And probably still my preferred option, but I think that it could be because I am too lazy to organise to do something myself. We don't have a garage or a suitable front space to have a garage sale and the markets around my way charge an absolute bomb to have a stall. I am hoping by culling the childrens toys that they have grown out of and the piles of other collections I will be going a long way to decluttering the house as well as adding a few dollars to the debt reduction project.

AND all the while I am working on trying to find something I am passionate about (there are many things) that I can turn into a work at home business (the options dwindle here) so that I can balance working, being a mum, organising school pickups and drop offs, housework, everything. I will work something out and luckily have a few people who have gone that road before me to bounce ideas off. We shall see.

There are other things too that have gone a long way to driving me crazy lately. (sorry if I repeat anything I have previously discussed)

Back in February I accidentally transferred some money via the internet to a wrong account. I know who the money went to, the banks confirm the recipient says they got the money, my initial phone calls seemed to suggest they would pay me the money back and then it all went pear shaped. I went through the official bank track and trace and the recipient chose not to reply. I engaged a lawyer to have the money returned. The lawyer sent a letter to the recipient. No response. We have now signed court documents and a hearing will be set for the next few weeks (I think). If the recipient does not turn up we automatically win our claim and our costs. If they then still don't pay the court ordered amount we will be sending in the receivers. How much money did I transfer? $1340.00. Not a huge amount but not one I am prepared to let go. I am just thankful that the lawyers don't want any money until after settlement and that Mark can get the receivers to go in for free. I just can't understand the stupidity of the woman who got my money. We know who she is, she knows we know who she is, we have had dealings with her in the past (which is why her account details were in my online banking) *sigh* It really frustrates me.

Which leads me to my next gripe LOL. As you know I have been a busy little bunny and have finally completed my tax and my Child Care Benefit (CCB) bulk claims for the last 3 years. Whoo Hooo I am thinking. I will get some money in and really kick start this debt reduction thing as well as buying a couple of 'essential' items. (shoes ARE an essential item LOL) Last Friday I received a rejection letter on my claims stating that the Family Assistance Office (FAO) had no record of the children ever having been in an approved child care. WTF!!. After numerous phone calls (which I have to say were the most polite & helpful calls I have had with Centrelink / FAO. They were brilliant and I am so impressed with them) it turns out that I have done everything correctly on my forms but because the Child care centre has failed to put in utilisation reports for my children they rejected the claim. The good thing is once the child care centre does it I will get my money. The bad thing is the horrible woman from the gripe above used to be the child care centre owner for the first two claims. She has now erased all her records and I can't get this information from her. The FAO said they have sent her a letter and a form to fill in but if she doesn't, it means we will have to go to some arbitration with Centrelink to see if I can get my money. *bugger bugger* As the money involved is approx $800 - $1200 for the two years it is something worth fighting for. AND in order to claim the 30% Child Care Rebate in my tax this year, I need to have the CCB statement for the 2004/2005 financial year complete. *sigh* lots of silly little things to think about.


Anyway


I have also been doing lots of fun busy things. Oscar is having his soccer party in 3 weeks. The same weekend as the City 2 Surf. We have made the piñata (which looks sensational by the way). Darcy & Oscar helped me stuff it with little bags of lollies and little toys. The goodie bags have been filled. The games are almost complete. I will take photos as I made a game where I drew a soccer goal net on a huge piece of cardboard. I then blew up a photo of Darcy and Oscar and put it in the front as if they were the goalies. On the day the children will get little soccer ball cut outs and like "pin the tail on the donkey" they will get spun around and try to get their ball in the goal without touching the goalies. It is hilarious. Doing this stuff has been good for me as it gives me a chance to sit and unwind and concentrate on something that is a lot of fun.

Last Saturday I met up with Mary and Cath to do our Ferry walk. We headed off from Circular Quay at 8:12 and headed into Neutral Bay. As none of us had looked at the map it was a bit hit and miss with the direction we walked but we worked it out in the end and stumbled across some beautiful homes and little hide away wharves. About half an hour in the sky opened up and we got hammered. We stopped at Cremorne rather than continue to Mosman and waited for the Ferry whilst Cath entertained us all with her skipping prowess. It was incredible ;D Topped off with a decadent breakfast it was a great morning and the only highlight of that weekend which was then overtaken by the cold monster who crawled up my nose. Charming LOL.

This Saturday I am going out. By myself. To a party. Whoot. ;) One of the girls from work who moved to WA early last year, is coming back for her 30th. I really miss her and we speak almost every day on the phone so I am looking forward to putting all the crap behind me for the night and just having fun. I am hoping that the snot monster (who is subsiding by the way) would have vacated the premises by then and allow me to relax without having to take a trailer load of tissues with me.


Anyway


I have noticed on a few blogs lately that the old checklists have come back in again. The plan for exercise for the week and marking them off as they are done. This is a brilliant idea and one that I am now going to steal. I am finding that I am doing my walk in and out of the city. And now my lunch walk to the post office. Along with my incidental walking this is getting me to the region of 15,000 - 17,000 steps a day BUT I have to put my hand up and say that some of it should not really be considered exercise. I am not pushing my heart enough. I don't sweat enough. I have stopped doing any sort of resistance training. So I am going to have a look at my schedule, and my stuff (again!) and work out a plan for the next week. Then I can update it as I do it, or modify it as life steps in and forces changes. I think I need to have a plan to work towards as it is becoming increasingly easy to do nothing.

That being said a look over my Global Corporate Challenge has thrown out these interesting facts. Over 63 days I have:
Walked 1,042,400 steps. Yep that is over ONE MILLION steps !!
Averaged 16,546 steps per day
Walked 667 km's. This is based on a fixed 65cm gait where mine is more naturally 75cm to 85cm when striding.
Provided 17.25% of our teams total.

I know a lot of us are walking/jogging/running this amount of steps a day but to track it and see the numbers climb is really a buzz. I think after the challenge is complete I will continue to track it and see if I can do a month on month challenge of increasing my average - even if it is only by 1 step :D


*** deep breath ***


Wow. You might all be bored stupid by now but I feel so much better. Thank you.

******

And before I go I wanted to let you all know about a new Australian company launched last Friday. The Organic Baby Food Company Ltd is the brainchild of a friend of mine and her sister and they have been working their tails off to get it off the ground. They launched at the Organic Food Expo to great interest and have now launched their website. The aim is to have the food ready to order on line from September, and in stores such as David Jones, Harris Farms and others early in the new year. If you want to keep on top of the news coming from this site regarding foods available, stockists, or you want to put forward a stockist you think should stock the range, please go to the site and register yourself as well as taking the time to have a look around. It is great to see someone who is passionate about what they believe in and providing a product that has been requested by the consumers.

i know the feeling about money... thats why my partner and i havent had children yet life is so expensive!!
You can make a lot of money out of Avon if you get the customer base!!
best of luck

steph

dude! i can't believe those shonky bastards with the accidental deposit. how do they sleep at night?

and GO YOU with that massive step count! that must be so satisfying...

(and i liked the long post! i have too much time on my hands today so it was great *g*)

bored stupid? not even, its so nice to read into someone elses life and be distracted from my own if only for a moment :) i hope things work out for you luv!

It's so hard to have balance and juggle everything, and one little bit at a time is the only way to achieve change. Most people are too chicken to make changes. They just wallow in mess and disaster until it all goes horribly wrong. So go you!

I hope you are feeling a bit better :)

You really have a lot on your plate at the moment and I really hope all your money worries sort themselves out without causing too much stress. And do ONE MILLION steps within the middle of it is phenomenal! To see it written that way is mind-blowing!!!

BTW, I wasn't bored stupid with your long post - I love reading your blog. You could never bore me :)

I loved reading your long post also.

Oscar's party is going to be a hoot. You've put so much work into his soccer party and with all the other issues you are trying to tackle at the moment it just goes to show what a supermum you really are.

Well done on all the steps and have fun at the 30th. xx

I hope you can get your money back from that dishonest woman!
Your little job for Aust Post sounds great. Hope Avon works out too. Take a tip from me and if you start selling anything don't accept cheques. I once sold Tupperware and the hostess collected a whole party's money and gave me a cheque which bounced. After I was bitten so badly I made a "no cheque" policy.
Good luck with everything. You are doing well to keep up with your stepping through all this worry.

Hehe great post to read over breakfast ta. Awesome steps by the way!

I have recently given up doing Avon because it was costing me so much! I think if you get lots of customers in your area, then it could work really well. On the orders where I didn't get enough to make a profit it ended up costing me quite a lot - you have to pay for postage etc. But the upside is they send you some good freebies and lots of their products are really nice (I was very skeptical about this before I started!).

Got blisters on the ends of your fingers?
What a rotten coincidence, having to fight to get your money back from that woman and needing her to sign stuff for you to get your rebate! I am sending eveil thoughts her way and you can expect her hair to turn green in about a week.
Not only am I impressed by your creativity for the party, the fact you hve so much ready 3 weeks in advance has me gobsmacked. What happened to staying up till 3am the night before?

I'm exhausted reading all that's going on in your life!!

Here's hoping you get your money back from that woman - also that the rebate gets sorted.

Good luck with your plans - hope the Avon works out.

Bored stupid?! Never!

I used to do Avon when I lived in Hobart - it was mostly to get the products for myself!! But I had fun doing it, it was really easy and getting the package from them every month was like Christmas!! You get heaps of free stuff and bonuses too, so worth doing, I think.

I am so proud of you that you've sorted so much stuff out when it would have been very easy to let it sit there for a few more years, gathering dust (and interest!). It says a lot about you as a person. And when you've got things like that out of the way then you've got more time to spend on the things that you do want to do.

Oscar's party sounds like fun!! I love children's parties!!!

Have a great weekend xoxoxoxoxo

What an awesome post! Sounds like you definitely have a lot of things going on, all at the same time. Good for you for fitting in time to work out! You go girl!

You are just so damned organised - I am in awe of you! Can you give me some tips?
Bri

Your right about the money - you work too hard to just give it away. What is wrong with this woman? You are certainly very busy at the moment - another person who tires me out just reading what you are up to. Enjoy your party...
Julie

You have some great money making ideas...hopefully all your problems will work out - money is a major stresser:)

Good luck with the money making ideas.

I'd definitely be after that woman for my money back, how awful that you have to go through all this. I once put my rent money in the wrong account but eventually got it back. Still it's a lot of red tape and bother.

I'm surprised no one else has ever tried to claim money from that child care centre before - weird that the issue hasn't come up with someone else.

WOW!! What a post!
SOunds like you have the money thing sorted - I love the posting one - wish I was in Aus!
As for the accidental transfer, there is no way I would let that amount of money go either (think of the shoes)especially since you know the person!
You sound like you are doing really well! Have a great Friday!

OMG I LOVVEEEDDD reading this today.. It sounds like my life.... Pity you live over there and not here. I have alwayssssss wanted to start a at home business or even a small business.

I also understand the spending more than I should and loving it but getting realllly panicked about it all.

Big Hugs
Love CM

Hey Margaret, you are such an earth woman, and so capable. you are putting the work in to get a good quality of life for your family and yourself. hope you recoup that money owing to you, and earn some more, and your hard work will pay off. with rent and food and bills for a family , one does need some left over for shoes in order to keep up the hard work. that is so you can remember you are a goddess and not just a superwoman! from barbara

I think it's great that you are racking your brain for ideas on earning extra cash. I'm in the same boat. I picked up a day a week watering a garden at a nursery. I get 36-60 dollar a day depending on how long I am there. It goes by fast and it's easy cash. I wish there were other things I could think of for cash. Avon is not for me because I am shy, so I wouldn't sell much.
Good luck in the snowball effect. I know how hard it can be.

LOL so you will get a dis-jointed comment too. Like the imagery ;-)

Bloody hell, the saga with that woman continues! I still can't believe how dishonest she can be, even after being confronted. Karma baby. I do believe in it and if it may not be monetary, imagine having to live like her, being so dishonest. She'd have to watch her back constantly. I hope it all gets sorted and there's some justice.

Hey, the weekend sounds like fun!! Great to look forward to.

Yep, writing an exercise plan defintiely helped me! It gave me the motivation I was lacking and now I'm back into it. Do it!

Organic bubs...fantastic!! I'll pass this on to those who bear. My dear friend Duncan is now an uncle and Dan's sister is due in December! So maybe I better get used to all this damn baby talk hey :-P

I hope you have an AWESOME weekend!

x

I loved reading your big post!
I have an idea if you are looking to make a little extra money - eBay. You will be amazed how much stuff you have around your house that you don't really need/use. That's how I started out. Then, I started going to auctions (deceased estate type of stuff) - and would buy loads of stuff really cheap and sell it for outrageous amounts of money on eBay. I made quite a bit! I am seriously looking at selling my 13 year old business (a beauty salon) to become a SAH mum and bring in some money by eBay. You've got some great ideas though.. and I think I will try out the Australia Post one as that sounds too easy!! Hope they do it in Melbourne.
I hope you don't mind... but I might also steal your A-Z idea too. I have looked at it, and really love the concept.
Hope you have a great weekend M. And another suggestion - LOTTO!! swap one lunch or 4 coffees for a lotto ticket. someone has to win!!! I'm spewing... If I had of had one extra number I would have won $20,000 in lotto the other week. Instead I got $52. But I'm happy with that!

wow what a post....have you got your ticket in the 21million????
Well im off on holidays so talk to ya when i get back in 6 weeks
Fiona

Hey M!

THANKS!!!!! for the long post!

You are achieving so much in your life that you should be so proud of.

I think that when I eventually have a husband and 2 kids, if I'm anything like you I'll be happy!

Have a great week!

xoxoxoxo
Michelle

Hey M - just wanted to say a big good luck in sorting out all your financial matters! My mum is an accountant and I know from her clients how few people constructively work towards reducing debt and living with their means, and how scary this can be.

I am a big believer in organic food so I think that is a great business venture of your friends. Kids are still quite a few years down the track for me but I will keep them in mind if and when...

Also, those walking stats are mind boggling! Well done. :)

Holy crap!! What a post. When you said you had a lot going on in your life you weren't kidding!! I hope that woman sees the light of day and decides to eventually do the right thing by both you and probably all the other parents who are also waiting on her to submit all her records so they too can get the benefit from Centerlink! Some people have not idea!! The pasta sounds delicious and I think it could even be considered on no count with the parmesan cheese and evap milk taken into the weekly points allowance. I'm beginning my preparations over the next couple of weeks to become extremely organsied so when I come home from hospital I can begin my road to recovery and also the road to weight gain recovery! I'm so looking forward to it so there's another recipe for me to tryout. Jamie being the pain in the butt that he is and won't eat mushrooms, I might just have to do the same and make some for myself and save for lunches etc when he goes back to work. Take care and looking forward to seeing you at the C2S dinner. XX

Whoops, some secret spy LOL :-P

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??