« Home | Weigh in - 2006/05 » | Splat » | BL Aus - Link info » | Biggest Loser Challenge » | Suitability = Sustainability » | Weigh in - 2006/04 » | Wheeeee - that was fun » | WOW » | Good Friends » | Weigh in - 2006/03 »

My butt hurts!

A benefit of losing weight that I did not expect to find has been that my personality and my thinking habits have changed. The main trait I am talking about is my controlling one. I am not sure if it is because it is inherent in a Virgo's nature to want to control everything in their life (including the minds, actions, and thoughts of others) or if it because I am an anally retentive dag. I would plan things, write up lists, and if one thing were to happen to throw the list or the plan out - it would all be over.

Take my exercise plan for example. I have listed quite basic things that I wish to achieve in a week. I listed them with full expectation that each week would present me with hurdles to achieving the plan as set out and that it would take longer than one week to organise myself to achieving it all. In the past this would have made me chuck the list away, do nothing for a week, then in a moment of remorse rewrite the list on a Sunday night with great expectations for the following week. This time that hasn't happened.

On Monday and Tuesday I stayed at home and did not go to the gym. Therefore the planned exercise didn't happen. So instead of wallowing in self-pity because another week was ruined I did different things. I went to pick up the boys early from kindy and as it is on the roof of a shopping centre I took the opportunity to walk down the ramps to the ground floor, then found the stairs and climbed them to the roof. I initially thought this would take about 15 minutes and I would do 3 - 4 laps to fill in an hour. It only took me 5 minutes!! I did 4 laps in half an hour (I slowed up each lap) and then collapsed happily in the car until I caught my breath. Today and tomorrow I will be at work so will do weights at lunch, then back to do cardio in the afternoon. On Friday I have the day off so will drop the boys off at kindy, walk into the city, do weights, walk back to Broadway then go home.

I have the ability to make changes on the fly (whooo hoooo). This is so liberating for me. And whilst I will still aim to do all that I have on my list I am safe in the knowledge now that not doing it all is not going to be the end of the world :D

Oh and the sore butt bit. The cardio today was the rowing machine. All the treadmills were busy so I thought I would do rowing instead. After 20 minutes I was perspiring quite a lot and I was keeping the speed on the machine quite high. The guy two machines over was talking to the lady next to me and I don't quite understandy why he thought I would not be able to hear him when he asked the lady to see what speed I was doing as he was doing 2:30/500m so I must have been doing at least 2:20/500. Hilarious. And I was doing 2:19 thank you very much LOL. AND, to top it all off this extra exercise did not make me late to pick up the boys at all. I think I may have solved my cardio in the evening problem. Do it before I go home.


Thank you Barbara for your lovely words lately - and your BL-A link :)

You always see the positive in things, I love that about you. (unlike good old "ms negativity me"! hehe). Maybe that should be my goal for this year, become less negative and try and find the positive in things. Thanks for your continuing inspiration.
Well done on kicking the rowing machine's butt! and the guy two machines up!
Have a great "me" night, it is Wednesday isn't it?
Bri

Have been thinking of you tonight and wondering what you have been doing for your me time, hehe. I think I might be envious, don't you?

Well done on taking the unexpected or 'change of plans' and turning it into an opportunity - that's what this weight loss thing is all about!

I know the shopping centre and all those bloody stairs - but laps??! What a champion idea.

It's actually lovely at the top after a hot day if there's a slight breaze and you manage to catch the sun setting. Who would have thunk the top of a parking building would have potential as a modern day lover's lane?

lol thats why i had to avoid the rowers at the gym unless there was no one else around... im too competitive and would end up killing myself just to be better than the super fit guy next to me lol sure is one hell of a good workout though, sore butt = happy butt :)

Bwahaha...oh yeah :-) The title got me reading more eagarly this morning. Being a Virgo too...mmm, I know I can be anal as well LOL. Just look at our blogs *haha*.

Well done on the stairs and finding an alternative on the fly. This is another great revelation in the health diary of Miss Margaret *nutter girl* ....

I read this at 4am this morning (!) and have been thinking about the control freak thing ever since. I, too, think I have become less of a control freak in the last year (don't know if the boys would agree). My theory goes something like this: because my personal health (weight and fitness) were completely out of control, I tried to control everything else around me in compensation. Now that I have more self-control, I can ease up on the other stuff a bit.

Well done, on thinking on the fly. I am still getting there with this one. I am sure it is getting easier though. I have been investigating local gyms lately and discussing with Daz how we would work it if I wanted to join. Now I just have to save a little mula to get going. Sore butt here I come! LOL.

Keep well M.

Yay for all that exercise, planned or not and yay for going so fast on the rowing machine you had the others worried!

I am also an anally rententive, totally planned and organised Virgo, but you are right about working out other solutions or alternatives to THE PLAN!! Nice work with the rowing!

M

Wow you just blow me away! I love reading your posts they give me inspiration.

Well done on the exercise on the fly wohooo.

Love CM

wow finding the stairs and ramp to kill some time ws a great idea, go the rowing machine, and great guns on being incontrol and not blowing it cos the exercise plan hasnt gone as planned, your an inspiration to all
fiona

Keep up the good work
» »

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??