« Home | Krazy Kris » | Shenanigans » | Weigh in - 33 » | Sunset Scraps » | 12 Things » | Now for something completely different » | What kind of writer am I? » | There's something in the air tonight » | Weigh in - 32 » | Mouthing Off »

Weigh in - 34

Or otherwise know as the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The Good
My exercise over the last week. I have walked well over my 10,000 steps a day and at least 45 minutes of that a day is sweat inducing. I have made sure to keep being active for a long as possible in the evening and I have started (again) to doing some abs & arms at night before bed. The weekends are always active and with the additional window shopping in the lead up to Christmas I am hitting close to 15,000 steps on any one day. So this is all good (but can be better!).

The Bad
My eating. I start each day off with the very best of intentions. I even make it through the beginning of the week relatively unscathed but then the planning goes out the window, the false 'cravings' come in to play and instead of being strong I am giving in to them. A case in point would be my icecream craving. I have not had ice cream for quite some time and yesterday I really felt like some but did not voice it because I really didn't need it. So last night when DH asked if we had any icecream in the house and offered to go and get some when we didn't I caved. It also didn't help that he came back with some rich chocolate topping that I then smothered the icecream in. I at least added a banana to try to assuage my guilt but really who am I kidding - that only served to add an extra point to the total.

The Ugly
My weight this morning. 2kgs up on last week. *sigh*. (Note to self: if it is this difficult to write down that you had a gain - don't have a gain)

The Wrap Up
At the beginning of my journey I made a deal with myself that I would take each weigh in as it came. That is was merely a snapshot of the moment and was not an indication that I would fail. That it was to be used to guage and measure my actions of the previous week / weeks and to assist in revisiting certain areas so that I would not repeat bad patterns until they became the only patterns. And I know I have offered this advice to others when the scales have gone up rather than down. Taking my own advice is more difficult. I can see so clearly that the actions I have been taking in relation to food are damaging to my health. I can see that I feel more bloated. The sad thing (in a way) is that my clothes are no tighter than they were 3 weeks ago. In fact a lot of my trousers are slipping off and I am constantly hiking them up. All my undies are too big so I am feeling no pressure.

I have had a look at some of my earlier posts where I listed the reasons for beginning this journey. To become more healthy, To keep up with my boys, To take pressure off my back, To buy clothes from a 'normal' store, To be in a healthy weight range for my height, To be no longer classes as obese. I have achieved ALL of these things. And where I am today is nothing to be ashamed of. But ashamed I am because I know I can do better. I know that I still deserve to look better than I do. I know that to stop now would just be a cop out. I need to come up with some new reasons to keep going and not ones that are only vanity induced.

The Plan for today
Drink: 3 x 750ml pump
Eat: no more than 20 pts
Exercise: add in a workout in the evening at home
Think: positively
Act: postively, and like you mean it

Ok, so you had a gain. Yes, they really do suck. But you know where you went wrong, so it's not surprise, and you certainly know what to do to fix it. Your motivation and determination will get you there. This is such a tricky time of the year (parties, sweets, etc.) but I reckon planning is the key.

You're a legend. You know what to do. And your exercise is GOOD. Go you.

Hi M - I know how disappointed you must be feeling - gains just SUCK. But I also feel very positive for you, because I know that you'll get through this obstacle and beat it, just like you have every other time.

Like you said, you have achieved everything that you set out to do so far, which is BRILLIANT! And you're doing so well with your exercise too. Maybe it's just time to take stock, reevaluate and determine where you want to go from here.

I totally hear you on the loose clothes! It's easy to get complacent and think you've lost weight when the clothes are loose. I used to think that all the time with my loose size 18's and 20's LOL. Have another bucket of icecream Phil, your skirt is loose! heh heh

Maybe the way to combat this is to get an item of clothing in a smaller size and try it on every week, use that as your motivation. Make it your mission this week to go and find a skirt, pair of jeans or shorts, something you would like to wear over the summer, in a size 12 (or 10 if you're currently wearing 12's). Try it on regularly to see how you're going.

And maybe it's time you got yourself a few new pairs of knickers too - go on, spoil yourself girl. You deserve it.

You are such an inspiration and never fail to pep me up - yes, you had a gain, but you know what to do to make it disappear, so work your magic and get to it!

Hope your boys had fun with Santa on Saturday!

Lots of love to you, hope you have a happy week :)

Remember the scales can lie though, your too big knickers could be a sign that the loss is in the inches.

Poos and wees to the horrible gain!!!

As Philippa has so wisely suggested, some clothes in a smaller size is definately a good incentive to keep going. It's bloody marvellous that you have already achieved all those things on your list, so anything you do now is a bonus. I think its a great idea to set yourself some more goals, especially as we spiral into the silly season.

Good luck bumping that gain to the curb, and well done on your awesome daily steps - I'm inspired!!

Gains suck, but you know what you did and how to improve. Maybe it's time to get into smaller clothes again and feel that pressure! Hugs. :-)

Setting some non-vanity goals sounds like a good idea.

I know also that I am not taking this as seriously as I should and I have figured out why. I too can shop in normal shops, have people telling me how great I look everyday, most people telling me I have lost enough already etc etc. All of the clothes I wanted to shrink into at the start of this journey have now long gone into the too big pile. I am just getting cruisy. I have lost so much weight and now I don't have a reason to kick myself going for.

It just seems really hard to get motivated when everything seems to be fine the way it is. People don't look at me like the fat one anymore so it doesn't seem necessary for me to bother ....

sorry if this doesn't make sense - I am at work and trying to type in btwn calls! (naughty Nancy).

Will be interesting to see what new goals you come up with!

It would be such a shame for both of us to stop now! The 60s are soo close!

love Nancy xx

Oh no M, what a bummer! Please keep positive though. As you said, you have achieved so much and you feel so much better than you did. It is a minor setback in the scheme of things and you have the knowledge and determination to reverse it.
Good luck with it all.

Don't be too hard on yourself and chin up. (See, I didn't have to say "chins up", so things aren't all bad). xxx

For gods sake don't quit - you have achieved so many goals and you are feeling it work for you! We all have our slips and we know how to pick ourelves up and carry on for the next week - just like you are!
To really enjoy success the road has to be a little bumpy!!

M, you know where you went wrong, and you know what you have to do to fix it. It's a really difficult time of year for losing weight. Don't be too hard on yourself.
Bri

I think that as you get down in weight the urgency seems to go out of the scheme of things and it can be easy to just get a bit slack. You can do it Margaret - you can turn this around and you will! Hang in there!!

Love your summary - a gain always sucks, but you will drop it again, just a temporary glitch!
Hows that positive acting like you mean it going??!

I sympathise with where you are at right now. I too hate how bad eating makes you feel all bloaty and yuck. But you must remember that you use to feel like that when you were 18kgs heavier, and there's no way that you are like that now. Just your mind playing silly head games. Remember the main reason for starting was to be a healthier mum for your boys. That's still a real good reason to continue.

I agree with Phillipa and Em. Get something a size smaller and use it as your motivation. You aren't the same M that you were in April you're better. Another thing to is your body is adjusting to your weight loss. This gain will slip away as fast as what it came on if you want it to. Big smiles and hugs.

M you will get back on track eventually and if it takes a while so be it. You know you need your mind in the right place and you have a lot on yours. Also when your clothes are looking good it is easy to get complacent. But you have upped the exercise. I know because I keep trying to catch you on WWA. So your size may be shrinking anyway. Just hang in there and don't be mean to M. She is a wonderful success story just experiencing a little bump.

bummer on the gain, but think of all the kg you have lost and all those close sizes you have that are smaller.
before you know it it will be gone

Bloody hell, this must p*ss you off!
I think you're struggling for so many reasons - you feel like you've been doing this forever, you're sick of having to think about it all the time, you feel so much better, you no longer see a ginormous blob in the mirror! I know that's how I am feeling - really struggling to stay on track despite all the good intentions. I think only my huge amount of exercise is saving me from a gain - and that won't last forever!

Damn - a gain. Then depression sneaks in a little bit. But not you. You have done so well and you are a constant inspiration to me. Its a minor setback and next week will be fine because you are putting your determination hat back on. Go for it - you know you can.
:o)

Well done on keeping up with some exercise M and no worries about the icecream girl, you are not someone who will keep eating it. All in moderation hey so you don't feel like you are missing out.

I was actually accidently delivered a 1L Sara Lee icecream last week and you know what, I ate the lot in 2 nights LOL!! I fear it will catch up with me this week.

Also don't berate yourself about the gain. I know how shitty it feels but remember how far you have come!! I know you'll get back on track :-)

I hear you about reaching all of your goals too! The motivation sure changes. My trick was to change my thinking to "toning my body" and inevitably I am slowly losing more weight (within reason) and starting to see a better shape. Maybe try something like that??

I hope everything else is being good to you babe. I know this Xmas will be challenging for a number of reasons so be good to yourself and don't beat yourself up!!

Now go back to planning. It definitely helps me out of sticky situations.

come my lady, we will beat this thing yet.

Sorry to hear about the gain but as you are doing weight training and your clothes do not feel any tighter, I would say there is some muscle gain in there. You are exercsing and generally eating well, u can do this.

And you will :)

Everyone above me has said what I would have said...but I'll just add...keep going M, you've come so far and you'll get over this hiccup and keep on going. Chin up chicky! You're an inspiration!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??