« Home | Sunset Scraps » | 12 Things » | Now for something completely different » | What kind of writer am I? » | There's something in the air tonight » | Weigh in - 32 » | Mouthing Off » | My straight hair » | Oh what a day :) » | It's a Boy »

Weigh in - 33

Let's get the numbers out of the way first. I have broken my plateau by gaining 500gms. My weight is currently 76.5kgs. I have lost a total of 19kgs with 8.5kgs to go. The macro picture of my weight loss is still good. My average is still above that which is recommended as the safe way to lose weight. I still look good in a size 14. I look a bit squishy in a size 12 (but I still try LOL). My health is vastly improved and my physical capabilities are miles ahead of where I started. The micro picture however is not so shiny. I lost 15kgs in 18 weeks and have now taken 14 weeks to lose 4kgs. Those figures are not so great. I would be really happy with them if I knew that I did everything right and followed my plan and it was just the body taking time to readjust. But it isn't. It is because I have not been as disciplined with myself from the moment I started looking normal in my eyes.

Today I have been disciplined and I have discovered, or re-discovered more to the point, that if I don't start snacking - I don't get hungry!! Now why does that work. I would have thought if I snacked at the right times it would stave off the hunger and stop me from getting to the point where I reach out for the first morsel of food - whatever form that came in. But today I made my food plan (and when I do this I am very loose - I give or take from meals during the day) and instead of just eating everything that I have written down, I have let my hunger dictate to me when I should eat. So, I ended up eating less at morning tea because I was not that hungry. I did not have my cob of corn with my sumo salad at lunch (pumpkin, walnut, roast pinenuts, fetta - yum) because the salad filled me up. Instead I had the corn at 2.30 which pushed my afternoon tea back to 4.00 when I had a yoghurt and an apple.

Normally at this time is when I start getting bored at work, I want to go home, I don't want to work on what I am supposed to, so I look for food. Eating takes up time and makes me look busy. I should just work. But I eat and once I start with the snacks I want more. So now I know. And you would have thought I had learned this lesson by now. Don't just eat because the food is there and because my habits have said this is when you have to eat. AND make sure the snacks are of the more healthy kind; nuts, fruit, yoghurt, cut up veges (you know - I have not yet done this!!), etc. Little things like this will see a renewal of good eating habits. Habits that will take me into Christmas with a renewed energy, and a subconscious ability to make and keep to healthy options.

The countdown begins.

And thank you for your kind words re my scrapbooking idea. I am getting really excited. I have mapped out on paper what I plan to do and after I load up some software on the PC I should be able to start straight away. Not sure if you picked up I will be doing digital scrapbooking. And yes, busy hands will make it more difficult to eat. Not impossible but I find if my mind is really busy then I don't want to eat anyway. I will let you know how I get on. Might be good to get some impartial feedback before I print and put it all together.

hiya luv, i still think you are doing amazing 4kg in in 14weeks or 14kg in 14 weeks you have come so so far and have been an inspiration to many people well done :) i wanted to say thanks for your last comment... not the one about the kitties (although it was very cute ;) ) but on my serious post, you dont know how much your words helped push me forward in a good way. thank you

It doesnt matter how long it takes, as long as you keep going and never give up!!

You have achieved a lot this year, 19kg and a size 14, that is brilliant M!!

I could make all the encouraging noises about 'it doesn't matter how long it takes, so long as you're still losing'. But if you're not happy with it, it's up to you to change it. Which you are already starting to do, so I can stop coming across like a schoolteacher! Genetically I probably have a right to sound like a schoolteacher though - I come from 5 generations of them!

Glad to hear that you have broken the plateau - and also glad to see that you haven't lost your sense of humour - 19kg - that is a hell of a lot of weight to loss in any time frame. Don't you just wish at times that you had a magic wand to wave and wish to lose 10kg over night - it would be just so much easier!!!
Good luck this week....

I have also worked out that snacking leads to feeling more hungry...That's why I have tried to minamise the snacking!
You also have to remember that the weight loss does slow down over time when you are getting closer to goal!
Have a great day:)

It's funny the snacking thing - I have noticed that too! If I'm busy it doesn't enter my head I need food but if I go and grap a snack - I want more!!

Weight loss does slow as you get closer - but you are aware that's not the only reason why yours has slowed down - but also you are happy with how you are looking - does it matter if it takes a bit longer to get where you want?

Have a great week:)

That salad sounds delish, might have to make it at home...

Your weight loss is a bit like a relationship...when you began both parties were wildly in lust, with each of you making sweeping gestures as proof: you ate and exercised like an angel and your body showed its appreciation, reciprocating with big and/or steady losses. Now, you still love each other, but the initial fire has simmered down and both parties probably take the other for granted.

You will get to goal, just keep your eye on the bigger picture, you know, the one that has nothing to do with the way your clothes fit, but your health. You've already improved that and the rest is just a bonus.

You will get there. Everyone needs a break from intense committment. I know you will get back into the swing of things as you have that committment that all of us find very inspirational. Don't be too hard on yourself. The scales are still on the downward climb just not as quickly as they once were. Considering the turmoil in your life with your mum and her illness lately I think you are doing extremely well. Keep up the great work. XX

Remember, and I know how hard it is, the closer you get the slower the weight loss seems to be. I think that's why so many people fail when they are so close. Glad you have got over your plateau (or across it). You are doing so well - interesting observation about snacking - might apply to me as well.
:o)

I think i'll try not to start snacking and see how I go (oh, not today, today we got a 2kg bucket of chocolate delivered to our office - D'oh!!). Have a great day,
Bri

A novel way of breaking a plateau. I'm sure there's some kind of logic behind it, lol.

I'm glad you've been disciplined and sorted things out so now I don't have to do it.

Once I start eating, I can't stop either but for me its only the afternoons that I can't stop grazing. Will have to use willpower. Damn it.

You have many pluses in your quarter as you so rightly pointed out. You are going to get there.

Oh I love that buzzy feeling!!

And I'm so with you on the food thing. Know exactly where you're coming from!!

Sounds like changing the type of snacks you have may make a difference. You may have taken 14 weeks to lose the last 4 kgs, but at least you have lost them. If you go back to being as disciplined as you were in the first few weeks you WILL get to goal.

It will be interesting to see how you like the computer scrapbooking. I have often thought about doing it. I think it should be fun.

No matter what speed your weight is coming off M, when you look at the big picture, you are still doing amazing!
However I completely understand where you are coming from and I applaud you making an effort to make a change!

You rock M!

Im the same usually about now - which is 3.30 to about 4.30 i get bored and this is when i tend to snack as well, but im going good today. dont worry bout the gain look how far you have come.

Hey M, you truly are doing a fantastic job with your weight loss and your attitude and blogs are truyl inspirational. The scrapbooking sounds like fun and as you said will keep your hands busy and food free. I know what its like to have a troubled time sticking to plans but just focus on the future and all of the new lessons you have learnt and things you can do.....like wear nellys 8-) Take care and have a wonderful week.lb.

You can do it. You know you can. I found the best way to beat those 4.00 blahs at work was to go have a cigarette... okay, maybe not the best advice :)

But you've still lost something in the last few months, and I guess now that you are so much tinier, the losses will be smaller - and that's ok.

Hopefully the gain will kick start that same motivation you had a wee while ago - actually, from reading this post sounds like it's coming back as we speak :-)

Keep being you!

M, when you think back to the person you were this time last year, I'm sure there's been one hell of a change. You've achieved so much in such a short space of time.

You are truly inspirational and are doing such a fantastic job. You will get there, I know you will.

You should never give up on a dream because of the time it will take to achieve it - because the time is going to pass anyway!

Time to get out the determination hat again, I think!

Lots of hugs to you, and don't forget to show us the progress of your scrapbooking!

xxx

You have achieved so much - and you know you will never go back - you will get there...we all will!

That was me by the way - Lucinda :)

Way to go with your steps for last week. That was such an achievement to exceed your target by so much. I was only a little ahead of you but I think I might have to downsize my target as I am finding it very hard to fit in.
Your struggle at the moment is very familiar but I am sure you are going to regroup and really get focussed again. You can achieve so much in the next 5 weeks and think of your families reaction when they see you.
Scrapbook questions now - what software r u going to use and what size r u printing. I did one for my DS1's 18th birthday. It was a last minute thing so I spent every moment I could on it in the week B4 his bday. Absolutely loved doing it - very therapeutic for me at the time - but I've never done any more. Maybe these holidays?
Just got an e-mail notification and it was your post to me - LOL
hugs back and we both better go to bed!!!!

You are still going strong sista and don't forget that you are still doing so well considering that life gets in the way. Losing weight can't always be the number one thing you focus on and when we get closer to your goal, we do tend to relax a bit.

You have come so far so that when you need to focus on other things, you know how to do it with a healthier mindset. This means you don't put all the weight back on too.

Keep up the great work M and it's a great post to show people why people slip a little later. It's not that the program doesn't work, just that we become more comfortable and the focus shifts hey.

You go girl. What a good realisation to make about your snacking - learning to listen to your body is a really hard lesson to learn, and it sounds like you're well on the way.

It's so easy to get comfortable and stay where you are, but by constantly re-evalutating where you're up to and what you need you will get there. You're doing so well.

Hey there. Although it's a tiny gain, it's good to break the plateau and things will start moving down again now I am sure.

Just read your last entry. the description of the sun sounded breathtaking.

I recently joined WWA too - it is very motivating.

As the 27th commenter, there is not much else I can add, but I will say that Jodie said exactly what I would have said if I was nearer to the top of the list, lol.

You sense of humour never fails to tickle me either - your very novel way of breaking the plateau is just too funny!!!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??