« Home | Hee Hee Hee » | Better Space » | Weigh in - 34 » | Krazy Kris » | Shenanigans » | Weigh in - 33 » | Sunset Scraps » | 12 Things » | Now for something completely different » | What kind of writer am I? »

How much is 20kgs worth?

Today I went shopping to get my 20kgs of food to donate to our Christmas Food & Gift appeal in our building. I noticed the box had been put out last night so wanted to do it first thing. The following made up 20 kgs:

20 x 500gm packet of pasta
20 x 400gm tin crushed tomatoes
20 x 100gm tin mushroom in butter sauce

It cost me a grand total of $54.82

But more than that I got to feel again what 20kgs feels like. DS1 is about 18kgs now but doesn't feel that heavy as he wraps his limbs around my neck and my waist and spreads his weight around but carrying 2 x 10kg green shopping bags, even a short distance, was an incredible reminder of how it sucked to have that weight on my body. My breathing began to get shallow, my chest was hurting, I could feel that I had to balance my gait so that my hips didn't hurt. I know I didn't carry all my weight in my arms (thank goodness) but even so. 20kgs is 20kgs.

There are some amazing people in blogland who have lost this and so much more. 5kgs 10kgs 25kgs 30kgs 35kgs 40kgs. More. Whatever the weight lost I just want to say that I am re-inspired by everyone's efforts. By the different strategies employed to keep the excitement and motivation high. By how people take the ups and downs that life throws at them and work their way around them. Some plough straight over the top, and some stroll around whilst they rebalance their minds and their souls. Either way.

I think we are all FANTASTIC :D

YOU are fantastic, and your ongoing enthusiasm and determination is so refreshing to read!!!

Your 20kg donation is amazing, that is a heck of a lot of food! I think its always great to remind ourselves how much we have lost by comparing it to a 'thing'; having a tangible value to attach makes our achievements seem so much more real.

Happy last-day-of-Spring!

i love it 20kg of food. i was watching biggest loser the other day and they had to put the weight loss total in coins in a backpack and climb a 60m ladder. it was great to watch.

I know one day carting around our grandson and I put him on the scales - 17kgs!! Phew and I'm nearly 30k's lighter than my heaviest!!

You are right - we are FANTASTIC!!

And I think you are fantastic. Thank you for a happy inspiring post that made me smile :)

Thanks for this post. I've been feeling really down the last couple of days because I've been eating sooo much and it suddenly all seems like a lot of effort.

I read this and it made me realise that I have come a long way and I am capable for doing more. Quite an inspiration!

That is amazing. First of all - good on you for donating all that food. 20kg is so much food and will go a long way to help many families.
Second of all - its amazing how we all managed to carry around that extra weight. I have only lost 10kg, but when I pick up my friends kids (who weigh much less than 10kg) I wonder how I ever carried anything like that around all the time. Walking up stairs, getting out of bed, just getting off the couch used to be hard work. Now things are much easier for all of us!
We are all tops!!

Isn't it amazing how heavy those extra kilos really feel. That was really nice of you to donate all that food. You are a truly lovely person M.

YOU are fantastic! What a lovely gesture to donate all that food.

Glad you liked the little email I sent this morning!

What a great thing to do at Christmas, both your yourself(cos it feels good) and others! 20kg is definately a shit load! Well done!

We ARE all fantastic!

Way to go Margaret!!! A fantastic effort to donate that food and a fantastic effort to actually be able to carry it. Me thinks you are going to have sore arms tomorrow and you never know you may have even stretched them!!!
I see we are neck and neck in the WWA boards - go us!!!
Did you have a wonderful time at the magic cave? I bet the boys loved it, hopefully as much as Mum & Dad. My 11 year old had his first Xmas without the Santa "magic" last year and boy it's not the same. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy for they stay young for so short a time.

PS I looked on every street corner but I never saw you!!!!

Way to go, M! You are an inspiration to me...I think I've said it before, but I'll keep saying it. Reading your posts keep me motivated - thankyou!

You are a gem dear M. I can just imagine carrying 20x 400g tins alone because I think it's a pain with 10x tins cat food. That would have been heavy! What a very thoughtful thing to do for charity.

Well done on all your efforts M. You have come so so far and I hope you are proud of yourself. I know I am proud of you and to have followed you this far on your journey.

xx

That was alovely thing todo M.Thankyou for the reminder of how far we have all come and yes my goodness how did we function carrying all that weight around. Thanks also for the reminder to remember there are people with real problems at christmas like how to feed their families. I am going to do something similar so thanks for reminding me. We really are very fortunate aren't we?

Well done on the donation. It is amazing to realise what 20kg's actually weighs! I want to do something silimar but I want to wait until I get closer to goal. You inspire us so much so I'm glad we can do the same for you. XX

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??