« Home | The Dinner » | The Party » | The Difference a Day makes » | Exercise Plan (Mon 07/08 - Sun 13/08) » | Exercise Plan (Mon 31/07 - Sun 06/08) » | Weigh Day - 31st July » | Recipe - Mushroom Cream Pasta » | A whole lot of .... Stuff » | Missing In Action » | Weigh Day - 17th July »

The Race & Recovery

The morning did not start off exactly to plan with little Oscar deciding that today he was going to be sick. I am sure it had a lot to do with the copious amount of sugar he consumed at his party but also the peak of a cold he had been carrying around. So a morning vomit in our bed was an indication that all was not well (and dammit I had just changed the sheets!!) After I showered and dressed in my super cool outfit for the walk he vomited on me again. I was starting to get concerned that I would not have an outfit to wear. After seriously considering my pj pants I went with an old winter weight size 16 trackie pants. They were hot but they did the job.

Linda and I headed in to the registration line up as I had lost my bib and met up with Michelle there. I am so grateful that they are as calm as they were as I was starting to get a bit worried that we would miss the race altogether as the line seemed to take FOREVER. However, after a rough start we were ready to join the throng as the 4th gun went off. We shuffled together until we past the start line (about 10 minutes after the first person in our group) then we found a little space to pick up the pace. As I looked forward the road dipped away and the sheer number of people took my breath away. It was fantastic to be part of such a big group and just getting out there and doing my own thing. After a short jog through the William St tunnel (which I thought would never end by the way LOL) Michelle broke away to continue her running and Linda and I strode out as the space freed up even more. It was so easy walking with Linda. We may be different heights, have a different walking style, but we think so similarly that it was a real hoot. Linda would see a gap 2 or 3 gaps ahead and just make a jogging bee line for it, and I would follow or make my way around a different way. There was never any pressure to keep up, or stay by each others side. We just walked comfortably together.

The atmosphere was electric. Helped by the numerous bands lining the route entertaining us all. My favourite bit was as we came up to the top of Heartbreak Hill and noticed the 7km marker. We had done it in just a couple of minutes over an hour. That was pretty good. There was a garage on our right with a group of people on top. As we rounded the corner they pressed play on their CD player and the music from Chariots of Fire starting blaring out with the visual of all of them starting to run in slow motion. It was hilarious and really helped to keep the spirit up and keep moving. There was never one moment when I considered giving up. Sure if the course had been shorter I would have been happy to stop but I was in this for the final. I felt pretty good all the way. My big toes hurt (???) and I got a bit of chafing under my arm due to the backpack - but that was it.

The stats came out in the paper today and Linda and I finished 1 minute apart but that 1 minute made a difference in our finishing positions. Out of the 53,000+ people who actually finished Linda came in 36,576 and I came in at 36,582 (sorry about the typo in the earlier email Linda LOL) Our own time showed that we finished in 2hrs and 10mins. That's roughly 20,000 steps in my length.

And the best thing?? My recovery. On Monday morning I woke up with the only pain being that of the sunburn I received to my shoulders and chest, and a little hip flexor stiffness. Other than that - nothing. I was so happy. I got ready to go to work and take the boys into kindy but whilst we were at kindy Oscar was sick again and spiked a temperature so I turned around and took him home again. I made sure to ring half a dozen people at work though to tell them that it was not the results of the walk keeping me home. I really wanted to go in and show off but that will have to wait until next year now. Today was pretty good too. Again the only soreness I am feeling is in my hips so a visit to the chiro has been scheduled in.

It was the best fun and I have learnt enough on what I need to do to make it better for next year. So who else is in :D


(Blogger won't let me post photos anymore - after it had lost the ones I did put on here. I will update tomorrow)

Well done. I kept an eye out for you guys at the finish line but figured it was pretty pointless trying to find anyone in that crowd.

What a great night and a great race. I'm not even going to think about doing it next year, but here's a suggestion - the run for the kids (14.7km) is on in Melbs on April Fool's Day!

Loved reading about the party, the dinner and the race. Great looking back on the bloggers you've met since that first meeting with Cath and Mary. What a difference a year makes!

Well done on your time. Thanks is fantastic effort! It really is an amazing atmosphere isn't it! I totally forgot about the bands lining the streets until you mentioned it. They are awesome and they really take the focus off the fact you are working hard at something. Looking forward to next year! XX

You've had a fun, busy week!! Great going with the race. Loved the photos!! And what a lot of fun meeting up with the fellow bloggers.

That's fantastic M! Glad you pulled up OK after the race.

Hope Oscar is better.

Well done on your time darl - and the event as a whole sounded like a wonderful experience for you.

The party, dinner and race all sounded fantastic. You probably deserved the day off yesterday. Hope Oscar is feeling better.

Sounds like you had a fabulous weekend M. Sad it had to finish with your little man being sick for the first day of the week. Hope he is feeling better and that your Chiro appointment helps.

Have a fantastic week!

Jods.

Loved reading about the run!! Sounds like a great time was had!

Hope little Oscar is feeling better:)

Great report and congrats on doing so well. I've read so many of the run reports on blogland and I so want to do it next year, it's certainly a good reason to spend a litte time up north!

Hope Oscar is feeling better soon :)

Poor little Oscar and poor mummy but it sounds like you had a great C2S day. You guys made awesome time. I can see how Linda and you would get on so well :-) Hehe, what a crack about the Chariots of Fire blaring, I can just imagine! I hope little Oscar gets better soon...

Congrats on the race and doing so well that is an awesome effort and to do 20,000 steps thats just huge!!!

Hope Oscar is feeling better poor lil one, its always horrible seeing children sick!! By the way love the photos of the boys!!! so cute!!!

What a MASSIVE 3 days! That's huge. Hopefully Poor Oscar is feeling better.

It was fun wasn't it? Hope Oscar is a lot better now.

Far out! Excellent effort. I would be VERY sore in your shoes.

Good job!! :D

Hi M, gosh what a great post and so much to catch up on. Just want to say thankyou again for making me feel so comfortable at the bloggers dinner and it sounds like you had a great time at the C2S definately thinking about going next year. Hoping you are having a terrific weekend!

That bloggers dinner looks like it was a lot of fun! What a great idea. I think I will steal it. LOL

Adam

Just wanted to stop by and let you know I saw those pictures of you and the girls hula hooping. You looked fab in the pics!! That looked like so much fun!

What a great result. I will seriously think about joining you all next year for C2S.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??