« Home | Firsts » | Confessions (Weigh Day - 1) » | Hello God…It's M » | 38 Today :D » | K U T A » | The Race & Recovery » | The Dinner » | The Party » | The Difference a Day makes » | Exercise Plan (Mon 07/08 - Sun 13/08) »

My Dad

I'm cross I didn't post this last night but I fell asleep on the lounge - with the 2 little cyclones and when I woke up at about 10pm and put them to bed I was only good for falling into bed myself.

So, my Dad survived the op (whooo hooo) and a mere 24 hours after he has already been moved out of I.C.U. and into a ward where I here he has been back-chatting the nurses. That's my Dad :)

Thank you all so very much for your good thoughts. I truly believe in the power of good thought and I appreciate the time you took to pass some his way.

Now onto the gory bits. 18 months ago (or there-abouts) they found a tumour in Dad's colon. It was small, completely encapsulated, and needed no chemo after removal. It was a clean operation but as they needed to do a by-pass for the bowel (into a bag) it was never-the-less a tricky one. When they sent him home he became very ill as the fitting for the by-pass was not sealed and waste was leaking into his stomach. This caused him to nearly die and he ended up staying in hospital an extra 4 weeks and losing 25kgs. NOT a good way to do it.

Anyway move forward 18 months and they find another tumour. The plus side to having a bag is you can see instantly if there is something wrong. Dad saw some blood and went straight to the Dr. The tumour, again, was small and apparently fully encapsulated. However this operation was different to the last. Instead of just removing the tumour (which was the size of a pea) they removed the colon, half his lower intestines and then sewed the lot up.

That's going to hurt for a while.

But he is alive, he can still play with and talk to his grandchildren. He can still heap shit on me (which is our normal way of showing how much we love each other). And he is happy about that. I am not sure how he will deal with the mental side of things after his body has healed but knowing him he will be cracking jokes about it in a few short weeks.

This is why I had been a bit quiet this last month. I thought it so unfair after what he and my Mum have already been through and I started feeling sorry for myself as I am not ready to be an orphan yet. Then I realised that not taking care of myself, not eating properly was just setting up my children to have the same problem with me in years to come, and that is what made me take myself to task and start doing healthy things again.

And, to be fair to me, Mark has been working in Melbourne during the week for the past 4 weeks so weekdays have been very hectic for me and when the weekends came around the last thing I wanted to do was sit in the study and 'compute'...

OK. I better finish this before someone walks behind me and wanders what I am up to :D
Have a wonderful day.

Wow M, I am so glad that your dad is recovering well. What an ordeal your family has been going through lately. I sincerely hope that things will improve from here on out. Love the way you describe your family ! We show our love a lot like that too ! Take care of yourself ! Kel x

That's great news about your dad. He sounds like a wonderful guy :)

Btw I forgot to mention how much I love your new site design.

I picked up the phone the other day to call you and make sure all was OK as I hadn't heard from you in a while. Then Zoe started crying and alas the phone was put down with all good intentions of doing it later on. As you know later on never comes these days!!! So sorry to hear about all the turmoil with your dad but glad to hear he is on the mend now! I will call you soon to chat. Take care. XXXX

Big {{{HUGS}}} chook. It sounds like it is the best possible outcome and I am glad you made a note fo being fair to yourself too. You are a super woman! Your kids have an AWESOME role model in both you and Mark.

x

WHHHOOOOOOO-HHHHOOOOOOOO!!!!

So glad things are progressing well. I think Level of Backchat should be recorded as a vital sign, it probably says more about how someone feels than the others.

That's great news, M, even though this post verged on being almost entirely scatalogical in nature.

Wonderful news that your Dear Dad is getting on so well. He sounds lovely. :) :) ;) xxx

Great news M, I hope he heals quickly and piles a load of shit on you (so you know he's back to normal LOL). Take care of yourself honey.
Bri

great news about your Dad coming out of the surgery alright!! all the best schatje xox

Glad to hear that your dad is doing well. I am sure that he will be sending jibes your way soon (sounds like my relationship with my dad).

Remember to look after yourself, and give yourself a break every now and then - you are a working mum, with 2 beautiful children - if anyone deserves a break you do. Talk to yourself like you would your best friend.

Keep well M.

There's never a lack of positive thoughts from the lovely blog-folk! Glad about the good outcome.
Have a great weekend.

Big hugs. Glad to hear your Dad is on the mend though it is a pretty horrible thing to go through, especially when they live interstate. There's no need to explain why you've been quiet, in those circumstances I wouldn't expect to be blogging either. It would be the last thing on my mind!

xo Sarah

Glad your Dad is recovering well:)
thinking of you *Hugs*

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??