« Home | Monday on my mind » | Clippings » | A leap of faith » | I am Globally Challenged » | M is for » | Reg Grundies » | Walking the Walk » | Myth Busters » | Weigh In - 2006/10 » | What goes down, must come up »

Happy Birthday Mum

Today is my Mums birthday and to be honest I never thought she would still be here for me to embarrass myself with another terrible live version of "Happy Birthday" over the phone. But she is. And I did. And she loved it :)

I want to thank everyone for your continued support and concern with my Mum. A few lately have asked how she is and I have grappled with the answer. Not because I don't know it but because I have been a little afraid to say out loud in case I jinx her. But after talking to Mary about it on the weekend I felt really good - and I realise that my saying anything, or nothing, won't affect the way she is.

So how is she? Really good actually. She is now in her 6th month or 4th cycle of treatment. At the end of each treatment cycle she has scans to measure the mass and see if there are any new growths. So far there has been no growth, no changes. Which is excellent. She is in no pain and only infrequently has to take some medication to help her sleep at night. She is still getting out and about but has learned to pace her activities as she does get tired more easily. So instead of Bingo and Cards each week, she alternates. She is quite the social butterfly LOL. Her hair is still there, and whilst it does start to thin by the end of a cycle, it starts to grow back in the 3 weeks she has off before the next cycle begins. In fact the only thing that hurts her sometimes is when they put the needle into her vein to allow treatment. As it is done in her hands, and each successive cycle starts to corrode the veins, it gets harder to get a good line and she ends up with big bruises. The option of putting a line directly into her chest has been discussed and will probably be taken up. She is no bikini model so she is not put off by the asthetics and if it means she can have full use of her hands all the more reason to do it.

So in a nutshell, she is doing well, still has plenty of time to win the lottery and leave it to me before she drops off the perch. ;)

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??