« Home | Munch Munch Munch » | Funny Bugger » | Weigh in - 2006/06 » | I'll do that again :D » | Google Me This » | My butt hurts! » | Weigh in - 2006/05 » | Splat » | BL Aus - Link info » | Biggest Loser Challenge »

Carrots

Where do we find new ones? Argy ponders this question as she recounts all the wonderful goals she has achieved and the difficulty in finding a new carrot to dangle in front of herself, to get moving again towards her goal weight. I have this same difficulty. When I started I had one big carrot - get to my goal weight of 68kgs and this is still there. But along the way there were little carrots to entice me to keep getting closer to the big one. Walk without puffing, walk without chafing my skin to a bloody mess, buy clothes in a non big-girl section, drop a clothes size (or 4!), play with my boys instead of watching them, out-play my boys, jog the length of Hyde Park (it's only very small). All these carrots have been eaten and now only the big one is left. I need more little carrots.

So in light of Sue's amazing efforts with the triathlon I am setting myself a goal of going in the Sydney City to Surf in August this year. It is no where near as difficult as the tri as there is no bike or swim leg but it is 14kms and there are some pretty good hills to climb. What I am planning is to have the ability to jog for a km, walk for a km, etc till the end. This is an event that happens every year so this year will be my starting platform and then my goal will be to improve my time each year. I am not sure what training I would need to do other than get on the treadmill and start pacing it out so will start with that. And as treadmill walking/jogging is very different to pavement walking/jogging I am going to find some fun runs in the lead up to see how I go.

So that is my new carrot. And this is my new carrot patch - curtesy of DS1 who planted them himself :D


*Imagine picture here with just one carrot sprout. DH moved the computer and we can't find the cord to download the photos grrrrr*

Totally agree with the carrot things .. my big carrot is still the 60s but .. I am just kinda enjoying sitting here munching on my other wee carrots and relaxing. Would hate to pass all these small carrots without totally enjoying them!!

Good luck with the training for the City to Surf! Sounds like a great challenge

xx

I like the way you think of things in carrots :) good luck with the new carrot!
congrats on the loss this week & have a great weekend!!

I just had a huge carrot chucked my way today, having not ben feeling 100%, went to Dr's who took tests and advised me my Blood sugars are elevated... so have to have a Glucose tolerance test, If anything could keep you on track and eating healthy, it's the fear of diabeties!!! so I guess that could be a carrot!!

Cheers
Margaret

That sounds like a fantastic challenge M! Good idea to do some fun runs for training too.

such pretty new colours! cheers to small carrots. a marathon is a great 'small' carrot to help you achieve your weight goal, it'll be great reading about your progress running all over the place :) have a great day chickey xo

What a great carrot to dangle. The City to Surf is supposed to have a fantastic atmosphere so even if you don't think you'll be able to run the whole distance, you'll certainly be caught up with all the fun and enjoyment everyone is having.

We all need those carrots! Great challenge M - good luck:)

Woohoo - what a great carrot. You are an athlete in training now.

As to training - check out the Run for the Kids website (http://www.runforthekids.com.au/r4k/) cos it has training tips for that from Steve Moneghetti. Probably a lot more intense than you need at this stage but still a good place to start.

As to my carrot - to make it to your "Them that are maintaining" list :)

What a great challenge!!!

Hey, great question! It is definitely harder to find carrots directly associated with the physical side of weight loss as we get closer but well done for finding something that will really continue to push you. I am really impressed and wish I could join you. I don't have the guts..or do I? I even just thought for a second that we could train together once a week. OMG! Don't pay attention to me, I'm nuts atm. LOL at DS1 :-)

Have a great weekend babe!!

I love the carrot idea. It makes weight loss more fun. The challenges we give ourselves is always the best. Good Luck!!!

M I did the city to surf a couple of years ago before arthritis set in. I only walked it but it was okay. My girlfriend ran and waited under a tree for me to finish many many minutes later (many many many). It was great fun a gave me such a sense of achievement. Good luck with your training.
:o)

What a fantastic goal to set for yourself. Good luck with it!!

Ha! I never thought of goals as carrots. That's a fantastic concept. The city to surf is a lot of fun, I'm doing it with my mum again this year too - maybe the T-shirt should have a carrot theme??

It seems alot of us have a few 'pesky' kgs to deal with this year. I looking forward to celebrating more acheived goals!

Have a great week M.

Cath

M you are going to win and EAT that carrot of yours... Wohoooo

Chubbymum

You have achieved so many carrots. I just realized I don't really have any - well, just the normal 5kg down thing. Think I might have to think up some. I think your marathon goal is awesome, if i lived in Sydney I would do it with ya!

Well done on finding a new carrot. Everyone that I know that has done it loves the City to Surf so good luck with the training.

Excellent post M. The city to surf is excellent. I have done it twice - walked both times, but its a wonderful day, and a real achievement! Good luck with it - I would do it with you but I will be very preggers at that stage, so its probably not the best idea. You should see if you can get a bloggers team together!!
have a great week vxx

*tear in my eye*

Damn I wanted to do the City to surf again this year!!! But being 38 weeks pregnant I'm sure that it's really not such a good idea!! Keep me in mind for 2007 though!!

Hey the hills aren't too bad. Well not as bad as I expected! The best thing to remember is do it at your own pace and don't stop! Push through it otherwise you'll just cramp up!! XX

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??