« Home | Carrots » | Munch Munch Munch » | Funny Bugger » | Weigh in - 2006/06 » | I'll do that again :D » | Google Me This » | My butt hurts! » | Weigh in - 2006/05 » | Splat » | BL Aus - Link info »

Weigh in - 2006/07

Negative self talk is a very damaging thing to have. It is something that used to plague me a lot before I began losing weight and every now and then it sneaks in but is beaten back into place. These last couple of days, however, when I have not been doing as I should in either the eating or the exercising department it has come back with a vengence. It adds to the feelings of disappointment and hopelessness and is part of a self perpetuating circle. If I think it - so it becomes.

I read somewhere that if the negative self-talk starts I need to write it down. Just sit down and write down everything I am thinking. Do not alter it or try to pretty it up as the words go down. Then for every negative self-talk sentence I am to convert it to an equivalent positive statement. Doing this is supposed to free the mind of holding the self-talk in. So I did it. And I feel so much better. I realise that having negative feelings from time to time is normal, and will probably continue for the rest of my life. But it doesn't mean that I have to continue having them constantly or that I don't have the ability to turn them around. Because I do.

I realise that as much as I sometimes feel lazy and undeserving of my weight loss I know that I do deserve it and a 100gm loss is a 100gm loss. So this week I am going to focus more on the 'doing it' and less on the 'talking about it'. Then hopefully on next weeks weigh in I can talk about it with a huge smile on my face :D

You still lost 100g and you are not going backwards so well done!

It looks like a few of us have been attacked with negativity lately and have not been successful at just "doing it" but don't let it beat you.

I just bought The Four Agreements yesterday and you wouldn't believe how much better I feel today after reading it. Check it out if you need a different perspective. I think you might appreciate it - www.miguelruiz.com

100gm is a mars bar, remember that!
Ooooh the City to Surf, how exciting!! (I'm a bit behind with my blog reading). That's a wonderful goal! Looking forward to hearing about your training and achievements!!

I am glad that we are both feeling better today - be happy you had a loss and not the gain that I had !!!! HAving said that you don't deserve to gain because you haven't been Miss Piggy like I have either.
I don't know if I could do the write it down thing but I am certainly trying to be more positive and stop beating myself up over my glitches.
Have a great week and talk to you soon !
Me

I'm right with you on this one. While 100 gms is still a loss in the right direction it kinda sticks in your throat when you know you could have done an awful lot better. I think I am very good at making excuses for myself. This week I'm going to prove that actions speak louder than words. I'm right with you M.

Hey Margaret at least you had a loss even if it was small. I have been doing some of that negative thinking and accompanying it with eating myself..and I gained. Hope you have a more positive week.

you lost, just remember that even though it was small, you did lose. Hope you have a better week, and it is a good idea for you to write them down
fiona

so true - a lot of time can be spent talking to much - talking yourself into eating that treat, talking yourself into skipping that workout and worse talking about doing stuff and then not following through!!!

And as you say - 100gms is a 100gms and that is still a loss -it is still important to celebrate that loss and remain motivated :-)

PS - haven't had a chance to say I love the new look of the site!

Yes, a loss is a loss and you do deserve it. You are going so well this month, just look at your progress. Keep it up and have a great week M :-)

Changing the negative is a great idea, we all get these thoughts - and they just make us feel worse!

Congratulations on your loss - have a great positive week:)

Isn't it funny that when we "only" lose 100g we get disappointed. It's still a loss, and you're heading in the right direction. I hear you on the negative self talk thing, I think i'll try writing it down and see if it helps.
Have a great day,
Bri

A loss is still a loss, and it's weeks like this that I think we learn the most. So although you lost, think of all you gained through it :-)

It's good to get all that gunk out of your head - and weird how stupid most of it is when you look at it in the cold, hard light.

negative self talk is the worst and really hard to ignore. I think you are a very strong spirit though and can convince yourself that negativity is no way to win, you know it too :)

You are doing great M. I like the idea of transforming those negative thoughts into positive thoughts. Gosh, so many of us have those but don't have the ability to overcome them. Knowing me, I'll probably be able to put this method to the test as early as tomorrow. Have a great day.

Heres to a great week! Love Anon's comment about the Mars Bar - nothing like a bit of perspective to make you feel better, ha ha.

The looss is still a loss! With your amazing attitude you will bounce back and be here next week with a big loss! Good luck!
Great post too by the way about turning those negative thoughts around:)

You're very clever, you know that? You must be so 'psycho' to know that writing about the things you're thinking will help others. I've been having a tough time recently (pregnancy hormones are not fun) but reading your post on negative self-talk made me think a bit. I will try your strategy next time I feel like crap. Thanks, dude.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Margaret
  • From Sydney, Australia
  • Hi. I am Margaret. Or M. I talk a lot, get distracted even more, but am putting things in place to focus on my goals. But those have been put on hold whilst I focus on crochet. Lovely crochet. :) (see - distracted!)
My profile

Letters of our Lives

    A B C D E F G H K L M N O P R T W

Stats

  • Height: 175cms/5'9"
  • SW: 83.4kgs
  • CW: 80.9kgs
  • GW: 68.0kgs
  • Total Lost: 2.7kgs
  • Started: 9th October 2006

Monthly Progress

  • Oct 06: -2.7 kg
  • Nov 06:
  • Dec 06:
  • Jan 07:
  • Feb 07:
  • Mar 07:
  • Apr 07:

Sydney Weather

    The WeatherPixie

Links

  • Hmmmm what can I use this space for??